Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 02:38 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times

Advertisements

PS it is about a 9 hour drive from Zion to the Hilltop via Vegas, and you can't camp up there so far as I know. Though people probably sleep in their cars. On the road in you are on the Hualapai Res for about half the trip, but then on the east side of the road it becomes either State or BLM land and I think you can camp there, about 20 miles from the Hilltop.

Unless you have a couple weeks I'd choose one or the other. Though you can make a loop trip. From Zion drive to Page and to the main GC road. From there to Supai. Do NOT take the unimproved roads from Tusayan that show on GPS - without at least two 4WDs. A lady just spent a week lost when she ran out of gas up there before being rescued.

A great (also crowded) alternative trip while you wait for the edge to wear off Supai might be Zion. Again you need at least two days.

You could hike the Angel Landing trail - another bucket list item, with a zillion people. But cool nonetheless. And also the "Narrows" hike is spectacular. You need some special gear but you can rent river boots. Take at least one stout walking stick. I have a couple with steel tips that worked well on the rocks in the river. We will probably go in the late fall - Oct - Nov when the water is lowest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 11:43 PM

6 posts, read 5,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
PS it is about a 9 hour drive from Zion to the Hilltop via Vegas, and you can't camp up there so far as I know. Though people probably sleep in their cars. On the road in you are on the Hualapai Res for about half the trip, but then on the east side of the road it becomes either State or BLM land and I think you can camp there, about 20 miles from the Hilltop.

Unless you have a couple weeks I'd choose one or the other. Though you can make a loop trip. From Zion drive to Page and to the main GC road. From there to Supai. Do NOT take the unimproved roads from Tusayan that show on GPS - without at least two 4WDs. A lady just spent a week lost when she ran out of gas up there before being rescued.

A great (also crowded) alternative trip while you wait for the edge to wear off Supai might be Zion. Again you need at least two days.

You could hike the Angel Landing trail - another bucket list item, with a zillion people. But cool nonetheless. And also the "Narrows" hike is spectacular. You need some special gear but you can rent river boots. Take at least one stout walking stick. I have a couple with steel tips that worked well on the rocks in the river. We will probably go in the late fall - Oct - Nov when the water is lowest.
Quote:
^^^ Hi - I have been thinking of driving up to the Hilltop (what they call the parking and pack staging area above the rim) and seeing what was actually happening and at least showing my spouse the view from the top. I only live about 2 1/2 hours away on the Colorado River.

We might just throw caution to the wind and go early on a day the chopper is flying and see if we can get a ride in and out in one morning. Being semi-locals they might let us.

If we do it, it will probably be in the next couple of weeks - if we do I will post here and/or PM you with what I learn.

I want to go back. But not with 400-500 people down there. Like I say when I went there was about 30 campers and I think the Lodge was closed. The only restaurant in town had been closed by the Health Dept the day before too.

When I went I took military MRE's, a sierra cup and a spoon for eating. I used a ground cloth, no tent (big mistake) and took an old sleeping bag that I gave to an indian on my last day so I didn't have to carry it out. My pack going in was about 35 lbs, going out was under 15. You don't need a compass, there is only one direction... up. You do need a flashlight, and a headlamp.

Some people got stuck below Mooney falls at night and several of us had to lead them up the cliff in the dark. I was glad I had lights. They had hiked down to the Colorado - and it's a Loooong way back up. Still hadn't returned to their camp by about 9 pm when about five of us went looking and found them below the falls.

If you do go, don't worry about the weight - take a tent! The first night I found a nice spot by the river. Settled down on my tarp for a night under the stars. And just as dusk was falling, in the next camp down, about 100 feet away I heard, S-N-AAAA-K-EEE!!!

I spent three nights sleeping with one eye open and waking up about every 20 minutes to see if I had any slithering company. Never did, but a lot of crawling bugs and beetles. L)
We are starting in Vegas, I realise since Zion is going more towards the North Rim which isn't as good at the South Rim (at least from my research). I haven't thought it through 100% yet. But, if that does become the plan, that would mean Havasupai is out of the picture due to lost hope haha.

There are some places I can do in the south like Death valley for some dune/salt fun, Mojave for more hiking and the iconic south rim of the GC. Although going up north, I could see Hoover, Little Sahara Dune, Marble Canyon, Lake Powell. So many damn options.
No wonder why I've always wanted to live in Cali, so much to do and see.

While I was looking at Zion I saw that Angel Landing Trail, it's amazing how nicely groomed it is too.

I will be going to Walmart to get a cheap tent, sleeping bag and such if needed as a last minute necessity. Along with my freeze dried food and cold canned vegetables/fruit cans haha.

I'll be checking this forum almost daily with hopes of someone helping me out with a permit.

Let me know how it goes when you go. I've read that some people go without a permit early and just offer extra money at the trailhead/tourist office. Luckily, Grand Canyon Village is like a 2-hour drive away if you get turned away.
With all my travelling, I have never been in a helicopter. I have skydived out of a tinner but that's as close/small i've been to a helicopter flight. I heard the line up are insanely long, you get pushed aside for residents even if you've been waiting for a couple hours and they just got there. I also heard they only have one 4-seat helicopter in circulation.
The convenience of the helicopter with gorgeous views would definitely be worth the wait though.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:20 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
I'm working the next few days but maybe if we can get a day next week we'll take a drive up there. I'm intrigued now. LOL

Yes, when I went it was a 4 seater and they weigh everything going on. I suspect a little bribery would work wonders. Maybe a bottle of whiskey for the pilot.

OK - if you are starting in Vegas. You have two options - do the Northern side / Utah trip. Or do the GC loop trip. I didn't notice how many days you actually have for your trip.

You could make a long one day trip to Death Valley from Vegas. It's about 3 hours driving each way and a few hours to drive through - fast. Scottie's Castle is still closed from flooding a year ago. Will stay closed I think another year or so. And frankly it is one end of the earth that really isn't worth driving to anyway. But the Valley is kind of a "cool" place to see.

Going the other way it is about 2 1/2 hours to St. George, UT. You could "do" Zion in a day - but two would be better. From there you could go to the North Rim. Frankly I think it's better. It's just the mirror view from GC Village, but is 1,000 feet higher with pine trees. And a LOT less people. You could probably find a place to camp either paid or stealth camp outside the park.

From there depending on time, you might like going north to the Moab area and Canyonlands Park, or back up (I think) 89 to Bryce - another interesting place that is tourist bombed. Unless you are a geologist or rock fanatic 3 hours is plenty at Bryce. Don't wast the time driving to the end of the road overlooks. Just go to the first several on the map and you've seen the best.

Or you could loop around through Page - the Vermilion Cliffs are spectacular. And Page is where the GC raft trips start. You could probably show up and do at least a day trip.

Also, it is more like a 3 1/2 hour drive from the Hilltop to the GC Village area.

Going to AZ - there's plenty to do also. Flagstaff is a college town, numerous nice clubs, and the famous Lowell Observatory where Pluto was discovered. Nearby Sedona and Oak Creek canyon are interesting. With great art galleries. The town of Jerome is kind of cool. None of it compares with Zion.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:51 PM

10 posts, read 24,351 times
From TripAdvisor.com:

Quote:
For those who have permits and those still seeking them, be advised that only the Havasupai tribe can issue or modify permits. The agreement states clearly that they are not transferable. Furthermore, TripAdvisor (and other sites) will not tolerate soliciting or brokering private permits or tickets. Any posts offering to buy or sell permits will be removed. Permit holders should expect to be required to show valid identification when they arrive at the Village.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 5,552 times
Quote:
I'm working the next few days but maybe if we can get a day next week we'll take a drive up there. I'm intrigued now. LOL

Yes, when I went it was a 4 seater and they weigh everything going on. I suspect a little bribery would work wonders. Maybe a bottle of whiskey for the pilot.

OK - if you are starting in Vegas. You have two options - do the Northern side / Utah trip. Or do the GC loop trip. I didn't notice how many days you actually have for your trip.

You could make a long one day trip to Death Valley from Vegas. It's about 3 hours driving each way and a few hours to drive through - fast. Scottie's Castle is still closed from flooding a year ago. Will stay closed I think another year or so. And frankly it is one end of the earth that really isn't worth driving to anyway. But the Valley is kind of a "cool" place to see.

Going the other way it is about 2 1/2 hours to St. George, UT. You could "do" Zion in a day - but two would be better. From there you could go to the North Rim. Frankly I think it's better. It's just the mirror view from GC Village, but is 1,000 feet higher with pine trees. And a LOT less people. You could probably find a place to camp either paid or stealth camp outside the park.

From there depending on time, you might like going north to the Moab area and Canyonlands Park, or back up (I think) 89 to Bryce - another interesting place that is tourist bombed. Unless you are a geologist or rock fanatic 3 hours is plenty at Bryce. Don't wast the time driving to the end of the road overlooks. Just go to the first several on the map and you've seen the best.

Or you could loop around through Page - the Vermilion Cliffs are spectacular. And Page is where the GC raft trips start. You could probably show up and do at least a day trip.

Also, it is more like a 3 1/2 hour drive from the Hilltop to the GC Village area.

Going to AZ - there's plenty to do also. Flagstaff is a college town, numerous nice clubs, and the famous Lowell Observatory where Pluto was discovered. Nearby Sedona and Oak Creek canyon are interesting. With great art galleries. The town of Jerome is kind of cool. None of it compares with Zion.
So we modified the trip: drive at 6am from vegas to little jamaica swimming hole is mesquite, half day in zion (only do the trolly with a few on and off stops sadly), coral pink sand dunes until dusk. drive that night to page. morning glen dam and horseshoe bend(quick road stops) on the way to GC where we would be renting a bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona