Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should AZ move from US district court 9 to district 10?
Yes 16 57.14%
No 6 21.43%
Merge w/ new district 11 5 17.86%
Unsure 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 12:11 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,944,810 times

Advertisements

The 9th circuit whose rulings get overturned 85% of the time should be dismantled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 03:16 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,154 times
No, not 10... but if skipping over states is permissible, Arizona is more similar to District 5 (New Mexico separates it from being contiguous) in the type conservatism. District 10 is headquartered in Denver, which may swing more to the left in the future (as it did when the District Court 10 ruled in favor of same-sex marriage and legalized it in Kansas and Oklahoma before Arizona), so in order to stay the course it's best if Arizona opts for a more suitable district, and 5 is more in line with the way people are here.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:18 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,626,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
No, not 10... but if skipping over states is permissible, Arizona is more similar to District 5 (New Mexico separates it from being contiguous) in the type conservatism. District 10 is headquartered in Denver, which may swing more to the left in the future (as it did when the District Court 10 ruled in favor of same-sex marriage and legalized it in Kansas and Oklahoma before Arizona), so in order to stay the course it's best if Arizona opts for a more suitable district, and 5 is more in line with the way people are here.
AZ cannot merge with district 5 because it's separated by NM. These two states have more in common with 10 than 5, geographically and politically. What kind of conservatism does AZ have more in common with Mississippi and Louisiana, than the conservatism out of Wyoming or Utah?

Old 04-30-2017, 02:33 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,952,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
AZ cannot merge with district 5 because it's separated by NM. These two states have more in common with 10 than 5, geographically and politically. What kind of conservatism does AZ have more in common with Mississippi and Louisiana, than the conservatism out of Wyoming or Utah?
We really need to clear this up.

District = Trial Court in each state. Some States have more than 1 District in their own borders. California and Texas alone each have 4 of their own Districts. The District also includes a Tax and Bankruptcy Court.

This is about the Ninth, Fifth, and Tenth Circuit Courts, which are Appellate Courts. There is no such thing as a "District 5 . . ."

Bankruptcy/Tax/Specialty Courts--> District (at least one in each state) --> Circuit (13 total including the Federal and DC Circuit) -->SCOTUS

And then for the purpose of this thread we need to also establish that Arizona has it's own, much more heavily used State court system that goes:

Small Claims/Municipal/Justice/City --> Superior (at least 1 per county, Maricopa has more than 1) --> Court of Appeals (Two Divisions, one in Phoenix, the other in Tucson) --> Arizona Supreme Court.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:36 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,626,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
We really need to clear this up.

District = Trial Court in each state. Some States have more than 1 District in their own borders. California and Texas alone each have 4 of their own Districts. The District also includes a Tax and Bankruptcy Court.

This is about the Ninth, Fifth, and Tenth Circuit Courts, which are Appellate Courts. There is no such thing as a "District 5 . . ."

Bankruptcy/Tax/Specialty Courts--> District (at least one in each state) --> Circuit (13 total including the Federal and DC Circuit) -->SCOTUS
That makes more sense, thanks for clearing it up.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Hence why I wrote "if it's permissible." Geography shouldn't matter if you want to push a conservative agenda because Colorado is likely going to sway this state to the left (just look at where Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are assigned, and they're not lumped in with Florida). If geography mattered, people would stop claiming Arizona is "West Coast" when it isn't, as it doesn't border an ocean. Culturally it's too conservative to call itself that too. I did move here from the Bible Belt, and I think Zonies have a stereotyped view of what it's like there without actually knowing. Religion didn't come up in conversation that much, and I've had more missionaries come to my door in Arizona that I did living there. Anyway, Arizona does have some laws that really get into people's personal lives that would make it better suited for a district that will ensure it can retain them, such as allowing employers to fire people based on sexual orientation and gender identity and denying abortions based on moral grounds, as well as laws that never went into effect or were struck down yet the intention (key word, don't forget should you retort) is there, such as SB 1070, a "bathroom bill" and a religious liberty law. On top of that, legalized marijuana recently failed here, and I don't buy for one minute this stupid argument about its wording causing it to fail. I think it failed because a lot of people morally object to marijuana.

I've found Arizona to be very similar to the Bible Belt, and I think people here are full of it when they toss around "libertarian" and "live and let live" when it's not really like that at all. If it were, most of those instances mentioned above wouldn't have been a thing. I think Zonies like to get haughty and stigmatize the Bible Belt for whatever reasons, but it's really no different here. I think if it wants to lessen the chances of a district judge's ruling to enact a law more associated with the left, Arizona should be in a district more aligned with its ideology.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:26 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,952,148 times
Quote:
Hence why I wrote "if it's permissible." Geography shouldn't matter if you want to push a conservative agenda because Colorado is likely going to sway this state to the left (just look at where Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are assigned, and they're not lumped in with Florida). If geography mattered, people would stop claiming Arizona is "West Coast" when it isn't, as it doesn't border an ocean. Culturally it's too conservative to call itself that too. I did move here from the Bible Belt, and I think Zonies have a stereotyped view of what it's like there without actually knowing. Religion didn't come up in conversation that much, and I've had more missionaries come to my door in Arizona that I did living there. Anyway, Arizona does have some laws that really get into people's personal lives that would make it better suited for a district that will ensure it can retain them, such as allowing employers to fire people based on sexual orientation and gender identity and denying abortions based on moral grounds, as well as laws that never went into effect or were struck down yet the intention (key word, don't forget should you retort) is there, such as SB 1070, a "bathroom bill" and a religious liberty law. On top of that, legalized marijuana recently failed here, and I don't buy for one minute this stupid argument about its wording causing it to fail. I think it failed because a lot of people morally object to marijuana.

I've found Arizona to be very similar to the Bible Belt, and I think people here are full of it when they toss around "libertarian" and "live and let live" when it's not really like that at all. If it were, most of those instances mentioned above wouldn't have been a thing. I think Zonies like to get haughty and stigmatize the Bible Belt for whatever reasons, but it's really no different here. I think if it wants to lessen the chances of a district judge's ruling to enact a law more associated with the left, Arizona should be in a district more aligned with its ideology.
Yea yea yea it's the same negative essay in every thread with you.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Yea yea yea it's the same negative essay in every thread with you.
And you need to chime in on that... why? Because you love this state so much that you feel compelled to spend a lot of your time on this site rather than getting out and enjoying it?

It's interesting that you considered that negative, when it's just pointing out political leaning and that Arizona is better suited for a more conservative district.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times
Anything to get those left wing radical judges less jurisdiction...Yes

Old 05-28-2017, 04:49 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,508 times
Quote:
And you need to chime in on that... why? Because you love this state so much that you feel compelled to spend a lot of your time on this site rather than getting out and enjoying it?

It's interesting that you considered that negative, when it's just pointing out political leaning and that Arizona is better suited for a more conservative district.
Actually, 99% of your content is negative about Phoenix. There's no perfect place and respectfully, I doubt you will find one either. The idealism of a "significantly younger than me" person I guess. Your multitude of posts make it sound like it's one of the worst possible places in the US to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona