U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:36 PM

15,860 posts, read 18,628,631 times
Wink Monsoon season gets longer

As if the hot and muggy season was not already long enough, today the National Weather Service announced it was going to lengthen the season:

Monsoon season now has official dates: June 16 to Sept. 30 (broken link)

Man, I am ready for monsoon to end come Labor Day and extending it several more weeks is just going to make Phoenix and AZ that much more of an awful place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 02:01 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 4,305,244 times
We need the rain that Monsoon brings. Never fault the Monsoon

Old 03-10-2008, 03:30 PM

15,440 posts, read 13,037,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
As if the hot and muggy season was not already long enough, today the National Weather Service announced it was going to lengthen the season:

Man, I am ready for monsoon to end come Labor Day and extending it several more weeks is just going to make Phoenix and AZ that much more of an awful place to live.
Um, I hate to bring up the obvious, but the official pronouncement is just that, a pronouncement (actually a redefinition) - it doesn't mean the humid air will actually arrive any earlier or stay any longer than it has been.

Ken

Old 03-10-2008, 03:42 PM

18,533 posts, read 48,413,937 times
Dont most people love monsoon season? I know that my BIL LOVES monsoon season as it cools the temps down and adds a little moisture to the air, and he's a storm watcher too so Im sure this news will make him happy to no end. LOL In fact Im gonna forward this page to his email and see what he thinks.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Dont most people love monsoon season? I know that my BIL LOVES monsoon season as it cools the temps down and adds a little moisture to the air, and he's a storm watcher too so Im sure this news will make him happy to no end. LOL In fact Im gonna forward this page to his email and see what he thinks.
We were there during the monsoon and LOVED it.
Up here in Seattle we don't get too many thunderstorms and I miss them.

Ken

Old 03-10-2008, 04:22 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,845,705 times
Quote:

Well, did the Nat'l Weather Service let the Person in charge of Monsoons know that the "official" dates have been extended and that the Monsoon season must start no later than June 16th?

I love the monsoon season up here in Prescott. That's when our daytime highs drop back into the 80's/low 90's. It's kind of miserable the 2 or 3 weeks prior to monsoon season, but once it hits, it's great. . . Plus it greens everything up. Definitely my favorite time of the year up here.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Um, I hate to bring up the obvious, but the official pronouncement is just that, a pronouncement (actually a redefinition) - it doesn't mean the humid air will actually arrive any earlier or stay any longer than it has been.

Ken

Nah, it is more like daylight savings time. We don't go on that here in AZ because we already have too much daylight and the heat that comes with it in the summer.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Well, did the Nat'l Weather Service let the Person in charge of Monsoons know that the "official" dates have been extended and that the Monsoon season must start no later than June 16th?

I love the monsoon season up here in Prescott. That's when our daytime highs drop back into the 80's/low 90's. It's kind of miserable the 2 or 3 weeks prior to monsoon season, but once it hits, it's great. . . Plus it greens everything up. Definitely my favorite time of the year up here.
Monsoon is pretty neat up north at my cabin, too. The thunder, though, scares the daylights out of me. I have never heard thunder so loud and "instant" as it is there. Just BAM!!!!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Nah, it is more like daylight savings time. We don't go on that here in AZ because we already have too much daylight and the heat that comes with it in the summer.
Too funny!

ken

Old 03-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Only 98 more days 'till monsoon starts .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona