U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:30 AM

2,203 posts, read 6,050,456 times
We used to live pretty close to New River. It has a very rural feel (as compared to Phoenix). Most people in the New River area own horses and commute to Phoenix for work. It's actually not a bad commute as far as time, but traffic is horrendous until they finish getting I-17 widened.

Anthem, OTOH, is a Del Webb planned community, and about as far from New River as you can get (in feel), even though the communities are less than 10 minutes apart. There's getting to be some shopping at Anthem, whereas there really is no "New River" in the sense of any businesses - just 2-acr parcels with houses on them.

Cave Creek is a really neat town. Has some cool historical places and lots of character. You'd also have easy access to Bartlett Lake there. It is on the fringes of Phoenix, but then so is Anthem, with New River being on the fringes of open space. Probably won't be too long, though, before Phoenix is in their backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 09:58 PM

41 posts, read 117,911 times
Smile hello from MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
WOW, I can't imagine -40. I lived near the cities and I don't ever rememebr it getting that cold.
Well good luck on your research, I am sure you will find the perfect place and with so many years before your move you have plenty of time to visit so many cities in AZ!
Hello to fellow MN natives (well, almost)! My husband and I live in the twin cities currently and will be relocating to AZ (Phoenix area) this summer. It seems that I will be in good company with other midwest natives!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:02 PM

46 posts, read 108,561 times
Boy--you really need to decide first on whether you want to live in a desert or not. All of the suburbs you mentioned in your first post are part of the Phoenix conglomerate. A town may say it has 89,000 but if it's connected to a city of millions then you don't feel like you are in a smaller town. In my opinion, anything near the Phoenix area feels like you are living in a city of millions.

If you want hot, dry, and desert, then the Phoenix suburbs would be a great choice.
If you want trees, some greenery, cooler weather, then Prescott, Flagstaff would be great choices. Someone mentioned that it's like two different worlds...it really is.

I've lived in Prescott, Flagstaff, Cottonwood, and Sedona. I think any of them would be great places to live, but not really near a lake unless you go an hour or more to the two lakes around the outskirts of Phoenix. Yavapai College (2-year) is a great community college in Prescott. NAU (my alma mater) is a great 4-year university in Flagstaff...especially in nursing, engineering, forestry, business and education.

Housing is pricier in Prescott, Sedona, & Flagstaff. The Phoenix (and surrounding areas) are really being hurt now by the housing downturn so it would be a great time to buy there. When my one child went to ASU (Tempe/Phoenix), the apt rate was about $595 a month, the same time my other child was going to NAU (Flagstaff) and the apt rate was about $895 a month for the same size apt. This was 8 years ago, but gives you an idea of housing rates.

You might want to go to the part of city-data.com for each city/town you are interested in to check out population, weather (summer & winter), cost of living, etc. Tons of info.

Good luck.

Last edited by RetiredAZTeacher; 03-15-2008 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: a typo, doggone it!

Old 03-17-2008, 06:31 AM

83 posts, read 114,021 times
Thanks for all of the feedback, it's so nice to see what actual residents think of certain places. The thing is we're really open to options but there are a couple things that are A MUST like a college for our son and a lake.

I know for certain Prescott is out simply because it does not have a lake to accommodate our needs. Sounds very nice, ritsy, but nice. Surprise, Northern Peoria, Anthem, and those places sound most appealing simply because of the colleges and Lake Pleasant.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 PM

10 posts, read 13,932 times
I am planning on relocating to Douglas Arizona this summer. I have had trouble finding a place to live. I have pets and most apartments do not allow pets. Can anyone help me, please? Thank you.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:06 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,139,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteagle02 View Post
I am planning on relocating to Douglas Arizona this summer. I have had trouble finding a place to live. I have pets and most apartments do not allow pets. Can anyone help me, please? Thank you.
Uhm why the eff did you bump a year old thread to put this. Should of just started your own thread.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:37 PM

13,958 posts, read 16,924,358 times
It is better if you start your own thread, with Douglas in the title, so that people will know what you are asking about and can help you if they have something to add.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:16 AM

83 posts, read 114,021 times
Nah, keep comments in here, they don't bother me!!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:46 AM

13,958 posts, read 16,924,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1975 View Post
Nah, keep comments in here, they don't bother me!!
It isn't a matter of bothering you.... if a poster has questions about a specific city, especially after reading what's already here about that city, it's better to start a thread asking about that city. Your thread (this one) was more general, and it's not as likely that someone with info to offer about Douglas is going to find the poster's question tacked on to the end of this thread.

That said, I don't think it's necessary to be harsh with someone who revived an old thread in this way. It's not that big a deal. I just suggest that they start a specific thread, as the odds are better that they will get what they need.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:16 AM

10 posts, read 13,932 times
Unfortunately, I do not know how to start my own thread. I picked this thread because it said Arizona Relocation and that is what I am doing. I am just very nervous about moving so far away and I am having a hard time finding somewhere to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona