Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:41 AM

83 posts, read 185,089 times

Advertisements

HELP, I've messaged all kinds of people from various places in Arizona and have did alot of homework already. We want to scout out a handful of locations in AZ FIRST, then take a vacation and hit each city we've decided on and see what it's like.

Here's what we're looking for;

My wife, son, and I are planning on relocating from Minnesota to Arizona (California Natives) and are trying to pick a city for a long term residence.

Prescott, Peoria, Avondale, Sunrise (or Suprise), and Sun City are a few to name that we're contemplating. Since we've never been to any of them, we are looking for some honest advice.

#1 - We will be looking for a place that has a college for our son to attend

#2 - CLOSE to a recreational lake for boating/wakeboarding/etc (A MUST)

#3 - Average Population between 20K and 100K people (nothing HUGE)

#4 - Decent cost of living, low taxes/housing costs

Hopefully you can tell us some "Pros/Cons" of some various cities and where in Arizona is YOUR ideal spot with the elements I named above!

Thanks in advance.
James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 09:04 AM

443 posts, read 2,129,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1975 View Post
HELP, I've messaged all kinds of people from various places in Arizona and have did alot of homework already. We want to scout out a handful of locations in AZ FIRST, then take a vacation and hit each city we've decided on and see what it's like.

Here's what we're looking for;

My wife, son, and I are planning on relocating from Minnesota to Arizona (California Natives) and are trying to pick a city for a long term residence.

Prescott, Peoria, Avondale, Sunrise (or Suprise), and Sun City are a few to name that we're contemplating. Since we've never been to any of them, we are looking for some honest advice.

#1 - We will be looking for a place that has a college for our son to attend

#2 - CLOSE to a recreational lake for boating/wakeboarding/etc (A MUST)

#3 - Average Population between 20K and 100K people (nothing HUGE)

#4 - Decent cost of living, low taxes/housing costs

Hopefully you can tell us some "Pros/Cons" of some various cities and where in Arizona is YOUR ideal spot with the elements I named above!

Thanks in advance.
James

Sounds like Yuma might fit that? Nice desert town. Has the Colorado River for boating. There is AWC and NAU there. Population I think is around 130k and even though Yuma had a housing boom, compared to the rest of the US prices to us seemed pretty cheap.

Why did you move to MN from CA? Just curious, I grew up in MN!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 AM

So far Surprise and North Peoria sound like the most prospectable due to having low crime, a college (for our son), and close to a lake.

I was really leaning towards Prescott but have heard that there's no recreational lakes to go boating on and it's a little pricey.

Golden Valley also surfaced, can anybody speak on it?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
Sounds like Yuma might fit that? Nice desert town. Has the Colorado River for boating. There is AWC and NAU there. Population I think is around 130k and even though Yuma had a housing boom, compared to the rest of the US prices to us seemed pretty cheap.

Why did you move to MN from CA? Just curious, I grew up in MN!
I have relatives in Southern Canada, found out my wife was pregnant in 1995 and decided that where we were in Cali was not a place to start a family. It was the ending of one chapter, and beginning of another.

Now, we're repeating the same process (sorta)

Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I have relatives in Southern Canada, found out my wife was pregnant in 1995 and decided that where we were in Cali was not a place to start a family. It was the ending of one chapter, and beginning of another.

Now, we're repeating the same process (sorta)
So do you guys live more northern MN then, closer to the Canadian border? Boy, you guys will be loving the winter then next year in AZ!! They are so wonderful!!!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:10 AM

Also, I read that Yuma was a "NOT PLACE TO LIVE"

Old 03-12-2008, 09:12 AM

AHHA, yes, close to the border. We had many days of -40.......I don't mind the winter but they're just too long.

We won't be moving until my son is out of school (4 or 5 years). I'm trying to do as much homework now as possible.

I lived in the Central Valley of Cali where summers were typically 105's....heat don't scare me.

I'm concered with college for our son, a place for him to start a family, boating/retirement, and just a decent city.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
AHHA, yes, close to the border. We had many days of -40.......I don't mind the winter but they're just too long.

We won't be moving until my son is out of school (4 or 5 years). I'm trying to do as much homework now as possible.

I lived in the Central Valley of Cali where summers were typically 105's....heat don't scare me.

I'm concered with college for our son, a place for him to start a family, boating/retirement, and just a decent city.

WOW, I can't imagine -40. I lived near the cities and I don't ever rememebr it getting that cold.
Well good luck on your research, I am sure you will find the perfect place and with so many years before your move you have plenty of time to visit so many cities in AZ!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:34 AM

611 posts, read 2,301,263 times
If a lake is a must, then I recommend Lake Pleasant. And I suggest the NW valley of the Phoenix area...which would include northern Peoria, northern Glendale, Sun City West, Sun City Grand, Surprise, and north of Phoenix.

Keep in mind that the Sun Cities are age restricted retirement areas, so your son would not be able to make friends with others his age in those Sun City neighborhoods. Unsure if that would matter to you because maybe he might be living on the college campus anyway?

There are lots of nice neighborhoods to choose from in the NW valley. If you're interested in a master planned community, then I recommend Vistancia (Peoria), Arrowhead (Glendale), and Anthem (north of Phoenix). We chose Vistancia and love it. Here's more info about it as well as other areas: http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoenix-area/144932-places-worth-living-valley-2.html

There are a number of colleges in this area including the Arizona State University West campus, so your son would have good choices too.

Best wishes!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the replies, this helps.

Lake Pleasant is definately on our radar which is why we're looking at Surprise, Peoria, or Glendale. I'm really curious about Surprise now. Also, I just spent time looking at the link you provided, thanks for that.

Any comments about Flagstaff? Isn't it close to a lake/college/etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona