Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should historical monuments be removed if they offend some people?
yes 11 13.58%
no 70 86.42%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 02:34 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Of course you wouldn't have a petition for removal of statues/institutes for figures such as Malcolm X, etc, because it fits your agenda. Its only those statues you people disagree with that you all want forced to come down. Never before have I seen such hypocritical absurdity. Leftists will cry out "tear down that Robert E. Lee statue, he was racist!". But say "tear down Malcolm X college because X is racist", and they'll defend it.
I think you misread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 02:52 PM

24,467 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Charlie Daniels sez:

Charlie Daniels compared removing Confederate statues in America to ISIS destroying historical sites in Iraq and Syria.

"That's what ISIS is doing over in places," Daniels told Newsmax TV. "There were pieces of history that they didn't like, they were taking them down."

The 80-year-old added, "Where does it stop? Is it going to be Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson or are we headed into Jefferson, Washington, who were both slave owners? How deep into history are we going to go?"

Daniels said it's important to accept that there are "people who were part of our history who were not very savory characters."

The "Devil Went Down to Georgia" singer's suggestion if you don't like the statues?

"If you don't like it, don't look at it," he suggested.

Daniels said he walks past movie posters he doesn't like and simply turns the other way.

"There's all kinds of symbolism in this country that I don't like, but I'm not going to go tear them down," he said. "These statues aren't preaching or shouting out some kind of crazy epithets or something. They're just sitting there. Just turn around and don't look at them."

Old 08-18-2017, 03:01 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I just want to know WHY all of a sudden leftists are offended by these statues? Why now? Why all of a sudden? Why not 10 years ago? Why not 5 months ago? Its just an excuse to be triggered and angry and vandalize public property yet again. If we're gonna go this far, then I demand the statue of Pancho Villa be removed immediately. It hurts my feelings! Seriously, folks, get a life.

If you're so angered by "racist" idealogy, why not remove Malcolm X college?
It would probably pay for you to look more into this issue, as your 5-month calculation is off by about 20 months:

This has been ongoing since roughly June 2015 after who I can only assume you find to be a white "patriot" gunned down nine people in a predominantly black church in Charleston, South Carolina. That event forced a conversation and one-by-one local jurisdictions made decisions (and here I thought that's what Republicans wanted) and they've been coming down relatively quietly up until recently. Gee... I wonder what could've possibly changed in the country over the past several months to make things reach this level and make people who have no ancestry or ties to Confederate history suddenly feel empowered. In any case, over time the Confederacy has come to symbolize racism, and when people like you fail to see how this bothers some people, it boils over because it comes off as dismissive and angers people when they feel no one is listening. When you think about it, if you drop the racist part, it is pretty ridiculous that "yay America" types are so supportive of a short-lived and treasonous country that split from the Union.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:02 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
WTF???!!!

Talk about revisionist history.

There were many brave white Americans (who fought on the Union side) and gave their lives to end slavery and many black Americans who gave their lives to both protect their own freedom as well as fight to free those who were still slaves.

However, your statement that "Confederate monuments remind me of the hundreds of thousands of brave white Americans who gave their lives to end slavery" is, at best, an uninformed and flat out wrong belief and, at worst, a purposeful and insulting lie.

No Confederates gave their lives to end slavery but to perpetuate slavery. Period.
I gave up after 2 posts. Not worth my energy for people who are that hard headed.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:40 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I think you misread.
He's got a lot of "mis-es" going on.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:44 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Charlie Daniels sez:

Charlie Daniels compared removing Confederate statues in America to ISIS destroying historical sites in Iraq and Syria.

"That's what ISIS is doing over in places," Daniels told Newsmax TV. "There were pieces of history that they didn't like, they were taking them down."

The 80-year-old added, "Where does it stop? Is it going to be Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson or are we headed into Jefferson, Washington, who were both slave owners? How deep into history are we going to go?"

Daniels said it's important to accept that there are "people who were part of our history who were not very savory characters."

The "Devil Went Down to Georgia" singer's suggestion if you don't like the statues?

"If you don't like it, don't look at it," he suggested.

Daniels said he walks past movie posters he doesn't like and simply turns the other way.

"There's all kinds of symbolism in this country that I don't like, but I'm not going to go tear them down," he said. "These statues aren't preaching or shouting out some kind of crazy epithets or something. They're just sitting there. Just turn around and don't look at them."
Who is this man and why am I supposed to care what he thinks?

Old 08-18-2017, 08:23 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Why are people now all of a sudden getting all butthurt over these statues?

Old 08-18-2017, 09:36 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
I bet most of the virtue signaling white guilt leftists don't realize Democrats were the party of slavery, segregation, Jim Crow, and the KKK. What's next after the mob tears down these monuments? Are they going to storm into DC and destroy the Jefferson Memorial? Are they going to burn down Monticello it's in Charlottesville? How about going after all those evil Colonialists slave owners.
First of all, it's 2017. The Democrat Party is not what it was in the Civil War era. Neither is the Republican Party. As you folks are so fond of saying -- GET OVER IT. Parties change. Both have. Membership of parties change. Both have. Back in the Civil War era, most members of the KKK were Democrats. Today, most are Republicans. It is what it is.

Second, you seem to be unable to grasp that the statues that are being taken down are in public parks owned by city and town governments. Monticello is private property, not government owned. And, as yet, I have not heard any "libruls" seriously proposing that Civil War era statues be taken down if they are on historic battlefields or in museums. A public park is for all citizens to enjoy, and I don't think many of our minority citizens much enjoy looking at statues of Stonewall Jackson and the like.

Third, do you really think that Thomas Jefferson would be rooting for Nazi sympathizers and Stormfronters? I don't think so. He was too much of an intellect for that.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:42 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
I would prefer to see these controversial statues moved to a Museum of the Confederacy. They are of historical significance and are works of art regardless of how we may feel about the people they represent. In a museum, they can be appreciated as sculpture, and the only people who need to see them will be those who want to.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:32 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I would prefer to see these controversial statues moved to a Museum of the Confederacy. They are of historical significance and are works of art regardless of how we may feel about the people they represent. In a museum, they can be appreciated as sculpture, and the only people who need to see them will be those who want to.
And I think that's fair and reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona