Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 09:54 PM

65 posts, read 91,911 times

Advertisements

Phoenix and Tucson grew to be the size they are today because of water from the Colorado river. However lets be honest, if we could vote where we'd rather have Arizona's major city be, i'm sure most would pick up north in the more scenic, less hot climate environment.

Flagstaff might be alittle too cold for it to win the majority vote in this situation however no doubt Flagstaff is more lush and scenic than Southern AZ.

So my question to this poll is, if you could pick up Phoenix and surrounding sprawl then move it anywhere in Arizona that you desire, where would it be?

I'd pick Sedona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 10:22 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,390 times
I'd opt for the Prescott/Chino Valley area but it might be tricky with there not being quite enough space.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:48 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,952,148 times
I prefer it this way. We've taken the hot and flat part and polluted it with transplants while leaving the best parts of the state wide open. It's for the better.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:01 PM

65 posts, read 91,911 times
To me the flat wide open part of Arizona is 1 1/2 hours east of Phoenix. But i see your point how you'd want the nature parts unurbanized.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:03 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,232,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvHighDesert View Post
Phoenix and Tucson grew to be the size they are today because of water from the Colorado river. However lets be honest, if we could vote where we'd rather have Arizona's major city be, i'm sure most would pick up north in the more scenic, less hot climate environment.

Flagstaff might be alittle too cold for it to win the majority vote in this situation however no doubt Flagstaff is more lush and scenic than Southern AZ.

So my question to this poll is, if you could pick up Phoenix and surrounding sprawl then move it anywhere in Arizona that you desire, where would it be?

I'd pick Sedona
Phoenix is the size that is it because it is the capital, had it not moved around after the civil war it would likely still be in Tuscon. During the Civil War the state, with freshly drawn borders, had a northern and southern capital (Prescott and Tuscon). After the civil war the official capital moved from Prescott to Tuscon to keep an eye on the Confederate sympathizers and stayed there for a decade or so before moving back to Prescott. A decade after that and the decision was made to move it to Phoenix because it is the middle point between the two previous capitals. Had very little to do with resources, though the farming land helps, and zero consideration for the climate as it was purely logistical. At least when I was in grade school 20-25 years ago they used to teach AZ history.

I wouldn't want to move it anywhere since Phoenix is the perfect location with amazing weather 9 months out of the year (not sarcasm I was out today working in the sun). If you did try to cram these cities in another spot you would see issues like in CA as people don't exactly fit too well in more mountainous terrains (I also love the sprawl since I've got a good 20 feet between me and my neighbors property (about 40 feet to their house) and 60 feet behind me (120 feet to that house). Hell holes like New York, parts of Cali, and other large coastal cities (and the Phoenix downtown eventually) are perfect examples of why sprawl is just a better design, IMO at least.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:07 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
I think Nogales or Kingman should be bigger

Old 08-21-2017, 05:45 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,626,567 times
The southern AZ border should have gone further south all the way to the Gulf of California coast.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:27 AM

700 posts, read 918,177 times
Arizona is a large state area-wise, and a central location is good; Phoenix also has a regular supply of surface water, which helped it grow to a decent size. Eighty thousand Hohokam were not wrong. There are remote areas in Arizona, where it's already time-consuming for legislators and constituents to get to the capital even with a central location.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:38 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,952,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I think Nogales or Kingman should be bigger
It's always fascinated me how much Nogales changes when you cross the border. The AZ side is sprawled out and small, the Mexico side is dense and built up.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:15 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,958,672 times
Prescott. Perfect temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona