Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 09:35 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Nationwide (according to wallethub) Phoenix has 4 in the top 10 of most affluent cities in the country. The criteria is median income (COL adjusted) and poverty rate.

1. Gilbert
4. Chandler
7. Scottsdale
9. Peoria

Lol'd a lil bit at Chandler being "affluent"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 09:43 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So the fact that the poor are living in rural areas and on reservations makes it OK? We have impoverished reservations right next door to Phoenix, too. Pretty much south through east. There is a third world quality to Phoenix with rich enclaves and adjacent swaths of abject poverty. That's true of most cities and even smaller towns in the US now, though.
Pump your brakes. No one said anything about it being Ok, just noting that these types of stats can be misleading depending on the criteria used. Of course there is poverty here (like every other large U.S. city) but unless you know all of the data included (and not included) stats can reflect different outcomes. That is all. Period.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:43 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

Lol'd a lil bit at Chandler being "affluent"
Studio City Median Household Income: $79,080
Chandler Median Household Income: $74,857

Lets adjust that for COL and see who comes out ahead, stop being a troll

Old 12-22-2017, 09:48 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Private charities such as Phx Rescue Mission is an example.

https://phoenixrescuemission.org/mission/
You said, “We need to help the poor...”

It is not exactly news that there are non-profits in every city and state that already do precisely that.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:53 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
It is funny how many people keep taking offense to such silly things, like I am personally mocking them? Seriously people????

I did not post this thread to compare cities. Apparently there is a problem with talking about real world issues with certain people. The City of Philadelphia certainly has poverty. It is dispersed very differently. The poverty rate in the suburbs is EXTREMELY low, actually one of the lowest rates in the nation.

And yes in the city (which mind you the City of Philadelphia is small geographically compared to Phoenix) there is a big disparity in income based on location.

BUT my observation with Phoenix that there was a great deal in alot of suburban pockets. (Not just the inner city areas).

Again I am not making this city to city. I read this factual information last night doing research on a topic and was surprised how high the poverty rate was in AZ. That is all. And was inquiring from residents. But apparently the majority could care less to acknowledge or are trying to make this a city v city discussion which I did not start. Period.

Clearly I am not getting anywhere with this because everyone is taking offense because I factually state AZ has a high rate of poverty.
Unfortunately, your initial post hit a nerve with some who felt it was taking a shot at Arizona, Phoenix in particular. I welcome the discus sion, though.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:57 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
The poor are with us all everywhere, and they will always be a part of the human condition.
And as long as they pour across the border we will always have an unending flood of poor.

We don't have the resources to enrich the entire world or even everyone in the Americas.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:00 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Nationwide (according to wallethub) Phoenix has 4 in the top 10 of most affluent cities in the country. The criteria is median income (COL adjusted) and poverty rate.

1. Gilbert
4. Chandler
7. Scottsdale
9. Peoria
I cannot find the official report/file saved on my computer that list each metropolitan area in terms of investible wealth. Meaning people who have millions of dollars in investible assets (this does not include real estate) and have no need to flaunt it like a complete jack ass (the term is called old money). So I provided a summarized version from Forbes which uses data from one of the reports. Although this report is not the one I like to use. But nonetheless you can have some more data.

Where the Richest Americans Live in 2015 | Fortune

But Phoenix Metro isn't even close to being on the list. Scottsdale is nice. I have been. But just calling facts again since everyone on this thread gets SO offended and can't talk about real issues. And Yes the City of Philadelphia has poverty problems. I can talk about real things. But you guys are so offended its hilarious. Thanks for the informative conversation. The majority really could use a reality check. AZ has a poverty problem.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:01 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Two words: New Money.

Boastful Trash that usually end up filing for bankruptcy sooner or later.
There's plenty of old money in Scottsdale. Just because someone is self-made doesn't mean they are on the verge of bankruptcy either. There is plenty of real success around here, whether newly found or not. You must see the hypocrisy in someone from LA calling anything in AZ "boastful trash". Now, that's rich.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:04 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
We need to help the poor and get them the skills they need to make a successful middle class life, not demean or belittle them due to financial restraints.
Many poor people are poor because of the bad choices they have made thru out their lives. They would rather have been doing something else than developing some useful skills that would get them a good job. Many are poor because they lack the desire, determination and ambition to do what it takes to get a good paying job that would get them out of poverty. Thats why some people live in poverty their entire lives, they lack the "get up and go" ethic. You can only do so much to help people who don't want to help theirselves.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:08 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Two words: New Money.

Boastful Trash that usually end up filing for bankruptcy sooner or later.
I don't know, I kinda respect "new money" rather than those that built nothing for themselves and take it from their parents or grandparents. I am self made and spend money freely but not stupidly and there's no chance I'll sniff bankruptcy ever. Glad you take pride in inheriting cash from someone else's work though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona