Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 01:01 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,831,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Studio City Median Household Income: $79,080
Chandler Median Household Income: $74,857

Lets adjust that for COL and see who comes out ahead, stop being a troll
The average household in Metro Phoenix has a very high cost of living because people have such large families here.

The family in Studio City likely a dual income no kids or homeowner who has the home paid off. Chandler is more dual income households with several kids.

A dual income no-kids household can rent a small apartment in a desirable area of Southern California for $1,500 to $2,000.

In Chandler a 2,500 square foot home is between $300,000 to $400,000. Which means about $1,600 plus those sky-high Arizona electric bills from the triple-digit number of 100 degree days.

But the household in Studio City is likely either single or a dual income no kids couple. I am sure many in Studio City have no home mortgage payments and tiny electric bills because of the older demographic in single-family homes.

The average household in Chandler tends to have two working parents with several kids. Which means high childcare costs, high electric bills and a vast majority of people will have high mortgage costs, multiple outstanding loans on cars, multiple college loans.

The cost of living is no bargain in Phoenix in general. People here have large families which means high taxes and high retiree costs for educators which will mean much higher taxes in the future.

Chandler has a median household income of $74,000 according to the census bureau five year estimates but the per-capita income is $33,000

Santa Monica, CA has a median household income of $82,000 but per-capita income of $62,000

Queen Creek has a median household income of $90,000 and a per-capita income of $33,000. Queen Creek is in the east valley adjacent to Chandler.

The city of Phoenix has a per-capita income of $25,000 and poverty rate of 22% according to census five year estimates.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 12-22-2017 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 01:08 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,230,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
The average household in Metro Phoenix has a very high cost of living because people have such large families here.

Chandler has a median household income of $74,000 according to the census bureau five year estimates but the per-capita income is $33,000

Santa Monica, CA has a median household income of $82,000 but per-capita income of $62,000

Queen Creek has a median household income of $90,000 and a per-capita income of $33,000. Queen Creek is in the east valley adjacent to Chandler.

The city of Phoenix has a per-capita income of $25,000 and poverty rate of 22% according to census five year estimates.
Per capita is meaningless, it takes into account every person, regardless of age. So a family of 4 with 2 people employed and 2 children will have their per capita income cut in half. With Chandler being more of a family community than Santa Monica, the stats get skewed. Household income is a much better indicator. And Chandler has a rough impoverished area with lots of very low rent apartments, affordable housing, etc. Santa Monica does not. Incomes in the square miles around me in South Chandler are in the $125K-$145K range, so you can see how the low rent areas can impact the city household incomes as a whole.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:11 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,275,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Ironically, some of the cities on your list have some of the highest poverty rates in the country. In my opinion it is more important that an area has a swath of people doing well verses a few who have inherited their fortunes. Wealthy can be defined in a lot of ways, as we can gather from all these "lists".

Average income in a place like San Jose is six figures, but people live paycheck to paycheck.

I am not going to inherit money from anywhere, so I need to be in a place where I can earn it, and use it most wisely. I do well in Phoenix metro, as well I am sure you do well in Penn.

That list is metro areas, not just the urban city proper, therefore it includes the entire urban and suburban areas. (swaths). Anywho. great conversation I never said anything bad about Phoenix, nor Scottsdale. Ive been to Scottsdale, I appreciated the older parts the most TBH, it has some character. I just came here to talk facts and have an intellectual convo and you all went crazy defensive so I will be sure to remember that in future posts.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:39 PM

640 posts, read 950,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
That list is metro areas, not just the urban city proper, therefore it includes the entire urban and suburban areas. (swaths). Anywho. great conversation I never said anything bad about Phoenix, nor Scottsdale. Ive been to Scottsdale, I appreciated the older parts the most TBH, it has some character. I just came here to talk facts and have an intellectual convo and you all went crazy defensive so I will be sure to remember that in future posts.
What do you mean you came here to talk facts and have an intellectual conversation? You wrote a post that was the equivalent of lobbing a grenade over the wall to see what would happen. So what conversation exactly did you want/expect? The reasons for the ranking have been discussed.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:44 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,928,502 times
Quote:
It is funny how many people keep taking offense to such silly things, like I am personally mocking them? Seriously people????

I did not post this thread to compare cities. Apparently there is a problem with talking about real world issues with certain people. The City of Philadelphia certainly has poverty. It is dispersed very differently. The poverty rate in the suburbs is EXTREMELY low, actually one of the lowest rates in the nation.

And yes in the city (which mind you the City of Philadelphia is small geographically compared to Phoenix) there is a big disparity in income based on location.

BUT my observation with Phoenix that there was a great deal in alot of suburban pockets. (Not just the inner city areas).

Again I am not making this city to city. I read this factual information last night doing research on a topic and was surprised how high the poverty rate was in AZ. That is all. And was inquiring from residents. But apparently the majority could care less to acknowledge or are trying to make this a city v city discussion which I did not start. Period.

Clearly I am not getting anywhere with this because everyone is taking offense because I factually state AZ has a high rate of poverty.
You cannot maintain a consistent argument. You randomly post about poverty in Arizona in a Phoenix forum. You then try to make it about Phoenix and then about the greater metro area. On top of that your initial "article" was Wikipedia. You've been countered time and again with legitimate sources from people all over the spectrum: liberal, conservative, transplant, native etc. and you just keep at it. You may be incredibly dense but I'd wager quite deliberate. I can respect a successful troll.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:45 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,941,750 times
Quote:

The average household in Chandler tends to have two working parents with several kids. Which means high childcare costs, high electric bills and a vast majority of people will have high mortgage costs, multiple outstanding loans on cars, multiple college loans.

The cost of living is no bargain in Phoenix in general. People here have large families which means high taxes and high retiree costs for educators which will mean much higher taxes in the future.

The average household size in Chandler is only 2.78 people. So nobody is going crazy here pushing out kids. Not sure where you are getting your info from. The Phoenix metro in general is 2.85 per household, which is on par with the rest of the country.

People have a mortgage payment here because they can actually afford a house? Not sure how that ties in with having a high birth rate.

Quote:

A dual income no-kids household can rent a small apartment in a desirable area of Southern California for $1,500 to $2,000.

In Chandler a 2,500 square foot home is between $300,000 to $400,000. Which means about $1,600 plus those sky-high Arizona electric bills from the triple-digit number of 100 degree days.
So your telling me for the same cost, I can pick a tiny studio apartment or a 2,500 square foot house that I own?

Old 12-23-2017, 12:12 AM

8,026 posts, read 12,181,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
We need to help the poor and get them the skills they need to make a successful middle class life, not demean or belittle them due to financial restraints.
We already pay taxes to help the poor, but many of them still stay poor/impoverished because they use the money for frivolous things instead of trying to improve themselves. The abundance of Indian Reservations has been mentioned as one reason why AZ has a high poverty rate, and this is very true. Most American Indians seem to prefer living somewhat primitive lifestyles similar to what rural America was like 100+ years ago, but they somehow don't mind sucking on gov't money!

In all honesty, if we excluded reservations, Arizona would have a much lower overall poverty rate. And in fact, they should be excluded because reservations are federal lands which are considered separate sovereign nations. On that link the OP provided, there is a map showing the most impoverished counties ... and not surprisingly, Apache County is one of them. That county has the most land designated as reservation land of any other county in the U.S.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:16 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,901,209 times
Quote:
Ah yes the intellectual rigor of "golly gee I was on Wikipedia and boy golly gosh I prognosticate that you guys are awful poor."

Old 12-23-2017, 01:07 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,058,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
you think only Mexicans are poor? Have you looked around you in some of your local trailer parks?

"Exhibit A" for Arizona's racism.
BAMM! And there's the race card.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:10 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,058,309 times
Awesome thread! Just proves again that Arizona is a Terrible place™️.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona