Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 12,599 times

Advertisements

I am a native Californian and am stuck living in Texas, namely San Antonio, now. I have suffered with allergies all my life and had asthma really bad when I was young in LA...back in the days when the smog was really bad down there. I moved to the central valley in the late 80's, and raised my kids there. Then, my husband wanted to move to San Antonio. We moved last year and I have not had a day where I am not congested, or my throat feels swollen. I want to get out of here and move somewhere where the allergens are non existent or at least not as bad, but he will not move back to CA. Does anyone out there know from personal experience of any cities that are low allergen or allergy free in Arizona or Nevada? I am also allergic to dust, highly allergic to juniper (the mountain cedar here), and just about every grass that grows. Thank you all in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 11:42 PM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
There is no allergy free area in the USA. If you move to another area you may even develop new ones.
AZ & NV both have summer dust storms if you're concerned about dust.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:50 PM

42,711 posts, read 25,867,327 times
My son grew up in Northern California but moved to Reno to go to UNR, he had mild allergies in California but in Reno he was absolutely miserable for most of the year; During fall and early winter pine, cedar and juniper pollen. In the spring and summer, grass, ragweed, tumbleweed, sage and rabbit brush. Las Vegas might be different, but check on the Nevada forum before you decide to move there.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:33 AM

3,815 posts, read 9,397,164 times
Don't move to Phoenix, finally broke down this year to see an allergist and I'm essentially allergic to everything in town. Particularly the brown haze and pollution that gets trapped here. There is an air quality website that gives updates every hour as to what allergens are in the air that I now check before I go for a run or hike. A few weeks ago the air in Phoenix was almost as bad as a Chinese industrial city, air was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

From looking at this website, it appears that Tucson, especially the northwest side that is not in a valley has some of the best air quality in the state, if not the U.S.

But from personal experience from moving across country numerous times, wherever I have moved to it takes about a year for my body to get used to the new plants and allergens. So I'm sick and congested for the first year and feel better the second year.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:19 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,902,945 times
Stay away from the Valley (PHX) as others have mentioned. Air quality here is the worst Ive ever dealt with. I'm constantly wheezing and sneezing, tightness in the chest.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:42 AM

3,602 posts, read 7,850,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
There is no allergy free area in the USA. If you move to another area you may even develop new ones.
AZ & NV both have summer dust storms if you're concerned about dust.
You meant to say "in the world", right??

OK, maybe Antarctica. Maybe.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:31 AM

7,018 posts, read 6,219,411 times
I have allergies & although they are better here, near Sierra Vista , I still take an allergy pill every day.

Having lived in Minnesota for most of my life, I'm ok with dealing with my allergies here. I guess I may always miss the greenery but the beauty of the mountains is wonderful.

I still have a sneezing problem at times & keep the Kleenexes handy. I still have tearing eyes. But none of the symptoms are half as bad as they were.

I doubt there is anywhere that people with allergies can do away with them entirely.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:45 AM

274 posts, read 290,160 times
As far as "allergy free", I don't know of any place on this Earth that isn't, it helps to know what you're sensitive to and thank you for adding that.

Do you mean you're allergic to dust from the ground, or like dust mites from dust in households? Either way, these will probably get to you in Arizona. Considering the humidity here is zero most days of the year, there's easily a lot of dust outside that gets blown around in the air if not becoming airborne by vehicles and such (depending on location). Some places have pretty nasty dust storms and I can't see that helping you whatsoever. This dust from outside tends to come inside along with the household dust that may form around things in the home anyway. Taking precaution like cleaning household dust with a damp cloth may help, but I'm not sure of the severity of your allergy.

We have juniper like everywhere around. It's a common plant to find.

There are spots in Arizona with grass, but I think there are more weeds than anything else so you will come across it.

I don't generally recommend anywhere in the Phoenix area/valley for anyone that suffers with allergies or respiratory problems due to the lack of good air quality. We had mild breathing problems coming from a small Arizona town and being in the valley only makes those breathing problems worse with the pollution.

I'm sorry to hear you have so many allergies and hope that you find the right city/state to live! Best of luck!

Old 01-13-2018, 04:37 PM

551 posts, read 687,500 times
Allergy free doesn't exist. Have you had tests to determine what exactly you are allergic to other than the grass and juniper? No point in moving if it has more of the same. We have tons of dust because we have no grass.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:27 PM

185 posts, read 272,636 times
I lived in Oregon most of my life and never had an allergy problem. Moved to Arizona, I take an allergy pill everyday. Good times!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona