Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 12:55 AM

7 posts, read 6,390 times

Advertisements

It's not easy being green... averse! Golf golf everywhere, and not a drop to drink! Ok, I do know all about the monsoonal rains and the rivers and history of cultivation, and indeed the naturally occurring fauna and flora are delightful, but c'mon now... we're not in Peoria (!) anymore ha...

I'm looking to move to the desert, and seeking to avoid pervasive and treasured grass lawns and excessive irrigated water as much as possible, and yet live in something upscale and contemporary enough to offer, for example, hardwood floors and 9 foot ceilings (though not so upscale that the monthly housing nut exceeds $1100!). Commuting, schools, nightlife are non-factors; Trader Joe's, Sprouts, Whole Foods and Costco aren't.

Which EXPANSES -- which cities, communities, developments, and apartment complexes in southern Arizona (and for that matter anywhere in the desert southwest)'on the ground' best reflect the notion that we don't need no stinkin' golf courses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 03:12 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
You'll see a mix of brown and green, I think, anywhere. I'm of the opinion the desert landscape should be embraced. To each his own.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
North Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Carefree. $1100 probably won't work though without a healthy down payment.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:34 PM

700 posts, read 919,347 times
Tucson started xeriscaping decades ago and has made a nice art of it; they really don't have enough water for turfgrass. They had enough ground water for probably 40k population, but that figure occurred about 1950. The U of Arizona and the community have developed lots of good looking desert landscaping. Here's an image of the golf course at the Westin La Paloma, which was designed in 1984.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/78...3062cfd4fb.jpg

Last edited by WilmaWildcat; 02-11-2018 at 07:02 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 07:35 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
Tucson started xeriscaping decades ago and has made a nice art of it; they really don't have enough water for turfgrass. They had enough ground water for probably 40k population, but that figure occurred about 1950. The U of Arizona and the community have developed lots of good looking desert landscaping. Here's an image of the golf course at the Westin La Paloma, which was designed in 1984.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/78...3062cfd4fb.jpg
That's really pretty!

Old 02-12-2018, 06:39 AM

700 posts, read 919,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
That's really pretty!
It is!! Designed by Jack Nicklaus...

Old 02-14-2018, 02:03 AM

7 posts, read 6,390 times
Thanks for those interesting and even useful replies; Tucson and environs are high on the current list --and I'm gonna add those Scottsdale burgs to the agenda, at least to drive. No doubt it's a mixed bag...

I have such an aesthetic and sensual affinity for the desert biome that even dratted par-3s as in the !inked picture can stir my soul! Ha, well, let's not get carried away -- the desert's surpassing singular beauty is far more despite it, than because of it, but hey first-world problems right? ...

No, what I'm after (and even at my prices) is a much more nuanced if not entirely less 'artificial' rendering. To wax unrepentantly pretentious:

There's an at once elegiac and sprightly eternity in the bone-dry stillness of a 90 degree night (viva la concrete) -- an irreproachable otherworldliness that yet feels the very Platonic eidos for terrestrial innocence and purity -- the antithesis of the corrupt and sweaty (even if concrete) jungle: Those spindly spiny plants like crystalline sculptures proudly yet delicately in stark relief against the soft neutral backdrop of glass-powder -- and solitary succulents a minimalist's dry-dream !

Even more than the recent realization of my ambition to the absolute white and blue of Finland's tundra and taiga, I sensed in my Colorado Desert years a specifically insuperable peace -- an ethereal communion of exhilaration and tranquility, severer than Lapland's cold, but, especially in the shadowless night, gentler in its embrace... and which not even an Aurora has yet abrogated! Amen!

Now, when you add into the equation the respective peculiarly humanoid fauna, ha, well, hmm, that's an entirely (if unfortunately!) other matter!...

Old 02-14-2018, 08:08 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Unfortunately we haven’t legalized marijuana yet.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:14 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City-Desiderata View Post
It's not easy being green... averse! Golf golf everywhere, and not a drop to drink! Ok, I do know all about the monsoonal rains and the rivers and history of cultivation, and indeed the naturally occurring fauna and flora are delightful, but c'mon now... we're not in Peoria (!) anymore ha...

I'm looking to move to the desert, and seeking to avoid pervasive and treasured grass lawns and excessive irrigated water as much as possible, and yet live in something upscale and contemporary enough to offer, for example, hardwood floors and 9 foot ceilings (though not so upscale that the monthly housing nut exceeds $1100!). Commuting, schools, nightlife are non-factors; Trader Joe's, Sprouts, Whole Foods and Costco aren't.

Which EXPANSES -- which cities, communities, developments, and apartment complexes in southern Arizona (and for that matter anywhere in the desert southwest)'on the ground' best reflect the notion that we don't need no stinkin' golf courses!
Maybe you should consider New Mexico. Both ABQ and Santa Fe city government encourage and promote water conservation. There are golf courses, but not like in PHX. And the norm is xeriscape, not grass. Just a thought.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:36 PM

656 posts, read 813,621 times
I have been all over this state. Outside of the Rim, it is mostly brown dirt and rocks.

The exception is my Phoenix 'hood, full of old trees, lawns, and water from the nearby Arizona Canal. You would hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona