Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 06:50 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Your argument is a red herring. The driver’s criminal record had no bearing on this situation.

That is true. But for Uber specifically I wonder if the end might be near. They have a reputation of ignoring the law and their trustworthieness is in question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 06:51 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
This video is utterly Damning to the UBER system. It also settles that the NY Times diagram was correct.

Again Utterly Damning.

they simply blew the most obvious predictable problem. I personally find it hard to believe.

I would not let Uber back on the road again until they explain in detail how they fixed this.

the driver is merely another example of why Google went to no steering wheel or peddles. Riding in such a vehicle will simply numb the driver until they are unable to maintain awareness. Fact of life.
You would have been able to react in time?

Old 03-21-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
That is true. But for Uber specifically I wonder if the end might be near. They have a reputation of ignoring the law and their trustworthieness is in question.
Because a homeless lady stepped in front of a moving car in the dark? People will stop using them because of this? I highly doubt it. I took one last night and it was smooth sailing as always.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:58 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
You would have been able to react in time?
Irrelevant. I doubt it but we will never know. The Google finding was clear. Anyone riding any significant time in one of these will fail to maintain concentration. They considered it so broadly spread as to be inevitable.

And the real damning message is the AV missed an absolutely clean and obvious target. Something terribly wrong. This is not a kid jumping out between cars. This is an absolutely unmissable target in view for seconds with no response. I would opine it just could not happen...but it did.

Shut UBER down until they have a verifiable fix.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:04 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Because a homeless lady stepped in front of a moving car in the dark? People will stop using them because of this? I highly doubt it. I took one last night and it was smooth sailing as always.

The issue is trust, and they already had a problem in that department.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Irrelevant. I doubt it but we will never know. The Google finding was clear. Anyone riding any significant time in one of these will fail to maintain concentration. They considered it so broadly spread as to be inevitable.

And the real damning message is the AV missed an absolutely clean and obvious target. Something terribly wrong. This is not a kid jumping out between cars. This is an absolutely unmissable target in view for seconds with no response. I would opine it just could not happen...but it did.

Shut UBER down until they have a verifiable fix.
They’ve already halted the driverless vehicles do you can relax. It’s absolutley relevant if a human would have been able to react. In this case there’s no way that they could have so the driverless vehicle is still at least as safe as a manned one. What you’re upset about is that it may not have been safer than a human in this case.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
The issue is trust, and they already had a problem in that department.
How is the company any less trustworthy as a result of this incident?

Old 03-21-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
They’ve already halted the driverless vehicles do you can relax. It’s absolutley relevant if a human would have been able to react. In this case there’s no way that they could have so the driverless vehicle is still at least as safe as a manned one. What you’re upset about is that it may not have been safer than a human in this case.
Utter garbage. This is the classical case where the performance of the AV is demonstrated and they failed totally. And the failure is virtually unbelievable. There is just no way the LIDAR and RADAR could have missed this target. Something is terribly wrong.

What I am upset about is that it apparently failed to brake on the most obvious and easy target.

Again the failure is unthinkable. What it says is the system does not work at all.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Utter garbage. This is the classical case where the performance of the AV is demonstrated and they failed totally. And the failure is virtually unbelievable. There is just no way the LIDAR and RADAR could have missed this target. Something is terribly wrong.

What I am upset about is that it apparently failed to brake on the most obvious and easy target.

Again the failure is unthinkable. What it says is the system does not work at all.
The woman would be dead whether it was a driverless vehicle or one with a human in control. Nothing is 100%. It was the perfect storm and a lack of common sense was the ultimate failure.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
The woman would be dead whether it was a driverless vehicle or one with a human in control. Nothing is 100%. It was the perfect storm and a lack of common sense was the ultimate failure.
They are running a test that can and has killed people. And the way it failed indicates their system does not work even on the simplest and easiest of cases.

The performance of the human is par for the course. Google well demonstrated that the human backup is not workable. This instance merely shows that is true.

And it was not even a 1% storm. It was a outcome that if it had worked correctly would have been met with derision...of course it worked!! easiest case imaginable..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona