U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:37 PM

6,352 posts, read 10,507,715 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I didn't pay the wampum to go inside the park. I just snapped a quick pic at the entrance, and proceeded on my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 11:53 PM

77 posts, read 183,210 times
Like others have said, it's really just a fun rest stop where you take a photo and eat some Indian Fry Bread. I thought it was pretty cool when I was a kid, but I was a nerd fascinated by the idea that there was an infinitely tiny point which could be simultaneously in four states at once. But *not* worth the trip just for that.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:56 AM

1,430 posts, read 3,510,633 times
This quote covered things very well. not to many years back they moved the location to make it more accurate.
It was a nice place to visit as stated below it is now a giant tourist trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The 4 corners is more or less a like a rest stop area on your way to a scenic attraction. When you arrive at the 4 corners, just off the main road, you'll stop at a kiosk and pay a real indian some wampum to go to the attraction. There you'll see some indians pedaling their wares in a circular parking area. In the center is the 4 corners monument. You stand with your 2 feet and 2 arms/hands bent over touching all 4 states. Then you say "wow, is that all there is" and head back out to either Cortez, Mesa Verde, Durango which is a very scenic drive, or you go the other direction to Monument Valley/Canyon de Chelly which is a very colorful scenic area and worth the drive.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:53 PM

16,034 posts, read 13,949,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Nice bike, kdog . . . DAMN NICE BIKE!
Yeah, I agree.
It's beautiful.

Ken

Old 03-28-2008, 01:54 PM

6,352 posts, read 10,507,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, I agree.
It's beautiful.

Ken
Thanks Ken and Bummer! It's a BMW K1200LT, with over 108K miles on it, believe it or not. It's been a great bike, and I've ridden it all over the country several times. BMW makes good stuff.

Truth be known, the 'K' in kdog is for the in-line 4 cylinder 'K' motor in that bike.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 PM

7,929 posts, read 15,942,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Thanks Ken and Bummer! It's a BMW K1200LT, with over 108K miles on it, believe it or not. It's been a great bike, and I've ridden it all over the country several times. BMW makes good stuff.

Truth be known, the 'K' in kdog is for the in-line 4 cylinder 'K' motor in that bike.
Definitely a sharp bike, kdog!

After a couple of Yamahas and Hondas, I have always known my next bike will be a BMW.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:27 AM

2,203 posts, read 6,122,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The 4 corners is more or less a like a rest stop area on your way to a scenic attraction. When you arrive at the 4 corners, just off the main road, you'll stop at a kiosk and pay a real indian some wampum to go to the attraction. There you'll see some indians pedaling their wares in a circular parking area. In the center is the 4 corners monument. You stand with your 2 feet and 2 arms/hands bent over touching all 4 states. Then you say "wow, is that all there is" and head back out to either Cortez, Mesa Verde, Durango which is a very scenic drive, or you go the other direction to Monument Valley/Canyon de Chelly which is a very colorful scenic area and worth the drive.
I haven't been to the actual "4 Corners" since I was a kid. Thought it was cool to be in all 4 states at once. Nitram's post mentioned some of the other interesting areas that you could visit. It seems like there was a trading post out there on the res that was neat - Gouldings, I think. And if you get off the beaten path I think there's places like Navajo National Monument and some other areas with old Anasazi ruins. The 4 corners area is pretty desolate country. Monument Valley is gorgeous but make sure you've got a full tank of gas whichever direction you head.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:35 PM

1,933 posts, read 4,413,206 times
I took the family this spring break. I am so glad it was a stop thru versus the point of our trip. Essentially we spent about 15 minutes there waiting our turn to take a pic on the concrete/metal slab and then we left. We went from Colorado Springs (home) down through Durango, Cortez (Mesa Verde is closed until Memorial Day), Grand Canyon, Flagstaff (Riordan Mansion, Sunset Crater, Lowell Observatory), Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, Alburquerque and north to home again. Its done, over and now onto other things!
Our personal favorite vacation spot is Orange Lake Resort in FL...definitely different than our spring break!

Old 04-29-2008, 03:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,890 times
Default Four Corners

It is in a somewhat desolate location.
I enjoyed going there and putting my foot down on the "square" where the four corners of the states meet.

You can also buy some Native American crafts there I believe.

I would not go out of my way to visit Four Corners, but if I am in that general area why not stop by..

Old 04-29-2008, 11:28 AM

5,375 posts, read 7,030,237 times
I've been there and like everybody else I agree there's not much there. It's an artificial place inadvertently created by map makers and legislators when they decided where the state boundaries would be. It's nothing more than a patch of desolate desert chosen more or less at random. Other than a parking lot and a memorial marker there isn't ANYTHING there.

You pay a few dollars to get in (probably benefiting the Native Americans), you park, you go over and look at the marker. It's not unusual for somebody to stand right on the "X" and place one hand and one foot in each of the four states (AZ, UT, NM, CO) and have somebody snap a souvenir picture. "Look at me!!!" It's the only place in the US you can stand in four states. Wow.

You might stand around a bit and look at some of the Native Americans selling silver and turquoise jewelry, maybe one of the NAs is selling fry bread. Then you realize that in the space of 15 minutes you have TOTALLY exhausted all the recreational opportunities of the monument, and as you gaze out to the horizon in every direction you realize that you've exhausted all the recreational opportunities of everything within 10,000 square miles!

You hop back in your car and continue on your journey, and you'll likely never be back unless dragged there by family or friends who haven't seen it yet. Folks, DO NOT waste your time going to Four Corners Monument unless you are already planning on passing by anyway, like you're going to/from Mesa Verde, Canyon de Chelle, Monument Valley, Glenn Canyon. Don't go hundreds of miles out of your way to visit Four Corners, but if you're passing by it's a painless 15 minutes of fun. Okay, maybe 10 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona