Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 01:02 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
So we will be cruising from Albuquerque to Los Angeles, and wanna make good time. I hear Arizona is pretty strict on speeding, any suggestions? Thanks!
Stay on I-40. The speed limit is generally 75. So keep your cruise control set between 84 and 85, but not over 85. You should be through Arizona in about four hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 01:45 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Stay on I-40. The speed limit is generally 75. So keep your cruise control set between 84 and 85, but not over 85. You should be through Arizona in about four hours.

Except near Williams and possibly other places where there is construction.

Driving like you really really have to beat a particular time, independent of conditions is very unwise.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:01 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
If the speed limit is 75, you can usually get by with doing slightly over 80 if the conditions allow for it. If there are radar cops around, you will usually get pulled over if your speed is 85 or greater, especially if you're doing something else in addition to speeding (driving erratically, being inattentive, etc.). The main deterrent to driving fast on interstate highways is all the big rigs. Those trucks are considered to be slower traffic, so they're supposed to stay in the right lane, but they will often try to pass an even slower vehicle by moving into the left lane & holding up the traffic flow.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:17 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
The I-40 segment in Arizona is quite pretty, especially from Winslow to Williams. The Flagstaff part of it is prettiest.

I think you can keep it around 80-85 and be ok.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:12 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
So we will be cruising from Albuquerque to Los Angeles, and wanna make good time. I hear Arizona is pretty strict on speeding, any suggestions? Thanks!
Poo-Poo those ridiculous Speed Limits, MuscleCar!

They're for "everyone else" . . . NOT YOU.

Last edited by Bummer; 06-24-2018 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-24-2018, 09:25 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
I'm not sure if DPS still uses one of it's training area ( I-40 & U.S. 93 ) West & East

A few years back I got lit up getting onto I-40 west after coming up U.S. 93
the reason was stated that my radar detector was suction cupped to the windshield
above the rear view mirror

After my business was done in Vegas and returned to the Valley I took the ticket
to a local DPS den as I noticed the Officer actually wrote me up for a window
tint violation, Then it was stated that there is a law in AZ that nothing can be
mounted or affixed to the inside of the windshield and this is falls under the Windows
section and the Officer in training did not look long enough for the actual
violation code.

As we were standing next to my truck, a citizen pulls in with a Huge GPS mounted
right under the rear view mirror clearly blocking vision from the drivers position I pointed
and asked the Officer what does that fall under ? He winked and said I had nothing
to worry about that him being a Commander it would not show up on my record and
politely excused himself as he was headed to talk to the just arriving citizen.

Something to think about, in today's world the task of being a DPS Officer especially
in Arizona is a Very Dangerous job to say the least as you'll never know just who
you might be dealing with !

My advise would be, keep your speed no more then 11 mph above the posted limit and let
the crazy people attract all of the attention as they are plenty of them. Drones, Aircraft
and Radios are still quicker then what's on the road today. In Arizona many other Law Enforcement
Agencies have limitless jurisdictions

Old 06-24-2018, 11:14 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I don't think I'll ever understand why a person has to speed. To me it's awesome to be able to go 75. But Minnesota, where I am from, speed is often 65.

I did hear from other people before I moved here that you had to watch your speed as the police/highway patrol was quick to give out tickets. There are stretches along 10 where the speed was reduced. It's been awhile since I drove it but I think that was in high wind areas.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:39 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
I mean no disrespect but i dont understand why everyone thinks its ok to go well over the speed limit and then gets upset when they get a ticket?
Just stay close to the limit and you'll have no worries......
I typically drive the speed limit or just a few over and most drivers flip me off for obeying the law. I dont get it

Old 06-24-2018, 01:17 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I mean no disrespect but i dont understand why everyone thinks its ok to go well over the speed limit and then gets upset when they get a ticket?
Just stay close to the limit and you'll have no worries......
I typically drive the speed limit or just a few over and most drivers flip me off for obeying the law. I dont get it
You're doing the right things. Just stay to the right and let the speed demons get the tickets. And they certainly will, sooner or later.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:44 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
I havent had a speeding ticket since I was a kid.
I dont understand the point of speeding so much. You get to your destination marginally sooner but all the while risking a costly ticket, your time and skyrocketing insurance costs just to get home 2 minutes faster. Whats the point?
It's kinda like texting while driving. Whats the upside?
Ok, sorry.........I'll get off my pedestal now.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona