U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 11:19 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,664,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Back east the storms are on top of you are all around, you can't see them in the distance like here and watch the rainfall. The winds/clouds/sun seems different too. It may be the scenery and the smells, etc
It's the Big Sky difference in the western US. "Weather" can absolutely be seen from great distances out here in the Western, Southwestern U.S.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 06:45 PM

772 posts, read 587,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
It's the Big Sky difference in the western US. "Weather" can absolutely be seen from great distances out here in the Western, Southwestern U.S.
For sure! And I think t-storms are somewhat infrequent in western WA and OR too.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:59 AM

1,931 posts, read 1,942,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
For sure! And I think t-storms are somewhat infrequent in western WA and OR too.
True that. I have experienced as many t-storms here in one season as I did while I lived in WA state for twelve years. Maybe even more. Definitely betterer ones.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:03 AM

5,618 posts, read 4,684,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Back east the storms are on top of you are all around, you can't see them in the distance like here and watch the rainfall. The winds/clouds/sun seems different too. It may be the scenery and the smells, etc
I guess people aren't as observant as I was? You could definitely see rain/snow/etc off in the distance back East. I agree the sun here is different as its more intense and the light is more vivid, but the wind and clouds are no different. And more often than not the mountains obscure the clouds, whereas out East there aren't many visual obstructions in most areas.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:20 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,851,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I guess people aren't as observant as I was? You could definitely see rain/snow/etc off in the distance back East. I agree the sun here is different as its more intense and the light is more vivid, but the wind and clouds are no different. And more often than not the mountains obscure the clouds, whereas out East there aren't many visual obstructions in most areas.
That's backwards by my experience. At least here in Phoenix. The clouds are way above the mountains. You can see them above the Bradshaws, Globe and Payson to the east. Where are you at that the mountains obscure the clouds?

While back east you can see the trees across the street unless you climb a fire tower on top of a hill. At least that's been my experience.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:02 AM

5,618 posts, read 4,684,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
That's backwards by my experience. At least here in Phoenix. The clouds are way above the mountains. You can see them above the Bradshaws, Globe and Payson to the east. Where are you at that the mountains obscure the clouds?

While back east you can see the trees across the street unless you climb a fire tower on top of a hill. At least that's been my experience.
I'm close to the McDowells. You can see the tops of the clouds, but not the base where the rain and dust lie. And yes, there are less trees here, of course, but there are still trees that block views, so I'm not sure why you think its different? And I spent many years in the cornfields of IL, where views were absolutely unobstructed, and the ground was as flat as a tabletop. I could see storm clouds over Wisconsin, which was over 90 miles away. I would see the massive thunderheads and then check live Doppler to discover they were in another state! Pretty cool.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:51 AM

870 posts, read 804,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I'm close to the McDowells. You can see the tops of the clouds, but not the base where the rain and dust lie. And yes, there are less trees here, of course, but there are still trees that block views, so I'm not sure why you think its different? And I spent many years in the cornfields of IL, where views were absolutely unobstructed, and the ground was as flat as a tabletop. I could see storm clouds over Wisconsin, which was over 90 miles away. I would see the massive thunderheads and then check live Doppler to discover they were in another state! Pretty cool.
I'd consider that midwest. Phoenix valley is relatively flat and when we get to higher elevations like N Sdale, N Phoenix, mountains, etc we can see for miles and miles. We rarely got that in New England as it is somewhat hilly and thickly wooded. We did live in a town that was higher than the city of Hartford, CT and could go to a hill where we could see the city and even to the hills up toward MA. It was definitely NOT as accessible as just driving around here though. It was a destination, here, it's common just walking around.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:38 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
25,153 posts, read 9,817,417 times
Per my guidelines, the monsoon is winding down this year. 9/11-9/15 5 day streak of average dewpoints below 50°F. All we need is 3 straight low temps below 75°F and it's over for the year

Old 09-16-2018, 06:15 PM

772 posts, read 587,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Per my guidelines, the monsoon is winding down this year. 9/11-9/15 5 day streak of average dewpoints below 50°F. All we need is 3 straight low temps below 75°F and it's over for the year
Agree. I was thinking monsoon is done, but there is rain in the forecast for later in the week. Not sure if that is really "monsoon rain" or just early fall rain...

Old 09-16-2018, 07:14 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
25,153 posts, read 9,817,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Agree. I was thinking monsoon is done, but there is rain in the forecast for later in the week. Not sure if that is really "monsoon rain" or just early fall rain...
It's tropical in nature, coming from Mexico, and areas to the north like Kingman and Vegas are going to be dry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona