Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 11:46 AM

4 posts, read 4,061 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the long post, I'm new here Just looking for some unbiased opinions on what the best course of action is for my family. My husband and I originally lived in Arizona for a year prior to moving to Oregon for a job opportunity (he manages a local business)...it's now been 2 years and we have an opportunity to buy the business (which is very successful and take us approximately 5-7 years)...but it would require us to stay in Oregon. We have a 6 month old baby as well.

Reasons we want to leave:
1. Me nor my husband like Oregon very much.
2. It rains a lot and the overcast weather is depressing.
3. We are Republicans and it is a tad liberal here for us.
4. We have been in an apartment for 3 years and would like to buy a home but homes here are SO expensive right now. We can buy a nicer, bigger house in AZ for the same price for a not so great home in Oregon.
5. We are Christians and there are not a lot of options for Christian schools for our kids where we live.
6. Most of my family lives in AZ (2 sisters, 6 nieces and nephews)

Reasons we are considering staying:

1. My parents live here and are elderly and not in the greatest health. If we moved I would only see them maybe once or twice a year. I am TERRIFIED of flying and so wouldn't fly unless I absolutely had to.
2. My parents don't have anyone else in Oregon to help them and I do enjoy being close to them.
3. Our daughter is their only local grandchild.
4. It is cooler here than AZ despite the rain
5. My husband has a guaranteed job if he stays here and could buy the business

I'm worried about leaving my parents and that I may regret it if something happens to them. They don't have anyone else and love Oregon too much to move to Arizona. I've begged and pleaded with them.

Any advice?

Last edited by daydreamer33; 07-18-2018 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 12:35 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,696,169 times
Don't forget that the higher elevations of AZ are cooler.
For example, we live in the Prescott area where the daytime temperatures can be 15-25° cooler than a hot day in the summer in the Phoenix metro area.
We are also a lot less populated.
We get a little snow once in awhile but not enough to worry about normally.

Most people think of AZ as the most populated areas of Phoenix or Tucson while the remainder of the state is quite different.
We have lived in 4 communities within the state ourselves and my wife was born in Tombstone.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:10 PM

186 posts, read 195,319 times
I say stay there for your parents and to buy that business. In five to seven years, your business will be worth more money and it will be yours. Your daughter will know her grandparents and will have spent quality time with them. Re-evaluate your situation at the end of five years. It’ll go very quickly, I promise.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:46 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
daydreamer33 -- Sometimes it is hard to know what to do. Does your husband enjoy this line of work? Are there many competitors out there? Does he feel he will enjoy this line of work for the long run? What about this business opportunity? Does he think he can find such an opportunity in Arizona, with equally favorable financial terms? Do you have a nest egg to support yourselves if you move back to AZ and then look for jobs?

What about you? Do you also have FT work? Do you enjoy your career? Do you live in a safe and affordable place? Can you afford health insurance and transportation? Are you able to afford the tuition at the Parochial school? Do you have some friends up there? Down here?

How old are your parents? Are they still able to drive and take care of themselves? Would they be able to fly to Arizona to visit you if you move? Would you be able to afford air fare for yourself and possibly your child if you have to fly up there for an emergency?

Sometimes there are a lot of pros and cons that you have to weigh before a move.....lots of things to think about!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 07-18-2018, 06:58 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times
You've been in Oregon twice as long as Arizona. Stay there and grow the business, and please don't stick your kids in religious schools.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:29 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
Where in Oregon are you?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:58 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Unless your parents had you at 45 and you had a baby at 40 I doubt your parents are elderly.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:56 PM

390 posts, read 306,927 times
Can you move to a more conservative neighborhood if you find where you are too liberal? I've found that in every place I've lived, which were mainly major metropolitan areas, you can move to either more liberal or more conservative areas.
Growing the business sounds great. You can even eventually open up a branch in Arizona? Stay for your parents. Once they are not around any longer and your children are older, you can re-evaluate everything but the time you have with your parents is not something you can ever get back.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:57 PM

390 posts, read 306,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Unless your parents had you at 45 and you had a baby at 40 I doubt your parents are elderly.
?!?!?! That was quite rude and their age or how old the OP or her parents were when they had children is none of your business.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:38 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
Can you move to a more conservative neighborhood if you find where you are too liberal? I've found that in every place I've lived, which were mainly major metropolitan areas, you can move to either more liberal or more conservative areas.
Growing the business sounds great. You can even eventually open up a branch in Arizona? Stay for your parents. Once they are not around any longer and your children are older, you can re-evaluate everything but the time you have with your parents is not something you can ever get back.
This is so true. I'm thankful I had the last few years with my mom. She eventually had dementia & the mother I knew was gone but I did have the time prior to that & there were moments of clarity even towards the end.

I know the grandchildren that were close by had very good memories & there was a lot of love shared. I didn't get to know my grandparents as well as I wanted to & missed being away from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona