Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 01:34 PM

631 posts, read 556,519 times

Advertisements

I am giving some thought to the idea of moving to somewhere in the Patagonia - Elgin - Sonoita area upon retirement. I visited there earlier this year and love the beauty of the place and access to mountains. I wonder, though, if there is a problem with safety due to illegals sneaking in from Mexico. Any insight you can share would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 06:32 PM

4,562 posts, read 6,246,813 times
"if there is a problem with safety due to illegals"...safety, no....illegals, maybe. Once upon a time the San Rafael Valley, and the east side of the Huachuca's seemed to be a regular route, but the border may be tighter now. Your best bet is to go talk to locals.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-10-2018, 07:01 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,851,533 times
Looking into Patagoina in City Data http://www.city-data.com/city/Patagonia-Arizona.html it shows in the past 5 years there were 0 murders, 0 rapes, 3 robberies (all in 2014). Crime was significantly lower than the US average.

Unfortunately no data noting "sneaky illegals" crossing your lawn so can't promise any safety there.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:45 PM

Here's a story of a Border Patrol agent shot and killed by Mexican drug runners in an area north of Nogales, AZ: https://www.macombdaily.com/news/upd...1e1250ce1.html.

Here's another about a Mexican national being sentenced to 43 years in prison for assaulting a U.S. Forest Service Officer: https://www.justice.gov/usao-az/pr/m...forest-service.

… and another about an apprehended illegal from Honduras who smashed a Border Patrol agent's head against a rock: http://www.kvoa.com/story/37814363/u...-during-arrest.

Last edited by 2ner; 08-10-2018 at 08:08 PM..

Old 08-10-2018, 08:34 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,243,887 times
The few times I driven over to Patagonia on Hwy. 82, I've seen border patrol cars each and every time. However, I have no idea what it is like out there during the night but I do agree that Patagonia is a beautiful area.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:10 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,851,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Here's a story of a Border Patrol agent shot and killed by Mexican drug runners in an area north of Nogales, AZ: https://www.macombdaily.com/news/upd...1e1250ce1.html.

Here's another about a Mexican national being sentenced to 43 years in prison for assaulting a U.S. Forest Service Officer: https://www.justice.gov/usao-az/pr/m...forest-service.

… and another about an apprehended illegal from Honduras who smashed a Border Patrol agent's head against a rock: Undocumented immigrant assaults border patrol agent during arres - KVOA | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona.
Considering a career change?

Old 08-11-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Considering a career change?
No, but I have concerns about the safety of living near the border, particularly if one is older, retired. I was looking at a place near Duquesne, which is very close to the border... I think personal safety is a legitimate concern. Granted I don't live there, so I don't know for sure and only have news stories to go by.

Thanks for posting the crime statistics for Patagonia. That is a lovely little town.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
The few times I driven over to Patagonia on Hwy. 82, I've seen border patrol cars each and every time. However, I have no idea what it is like out there during the night but I do agree that Patagonia is a beautiful area.
It's good Border Patrol is out there doing their job. Hats off to them.

The other side of the Huachuca Mountains in the Sierra Vista / Hereford area up close to the mountains is also very nice. You start to get some trees there. And the birdlife / nature / hiking opportunities are good. It's just a bit densely populated -- too much so for animal husbandry (one would disturb the neighbors with rogue or noisy critters). Santa Cruz County and Cochise County both have a lot going for them in terms of scenic beauty, climate, proximity to Mexico, nature, and outdoor activities.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:14 AM

250 posts, read 526,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
No, but I have concerns about the safety of living near the border, particularly if one is older, retired.
That's why god invented guns and made them in all shapes, sizes and calibers. I have a nice assortment.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:25 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,578,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
That's why god invented guns and made them in all shapes, sizes and calibers. I have a nice assortment.
Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration