Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stung by scorpion in your bed?
Yes 6 13.04%
No 40 86.96%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:34 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times

Advertisements

A good friend of mine stepped on one taking out the garbage in his garage barefoot (lived in far north Phoenix off of Pinnacle Peak Road). Said at first it felt like a bee sting, then the sensation went up his leg. Not life threatening, but uncomfortable for 2-3 days.

I just moved to NW Tucson and have seen 2 in the past few weeks in my house. One was was huge, looked like a tiny yellow lobster as it walked across my living room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 05:18 AM

994 posts, read 966,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
For the people who have been stung by a scorpion, is it about on par with a bee/wasp/hornet sting as far as painfulness?
I wonder this too

Old 08-14-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
A good friend of mine stepped on one taking out the garbage in his garage barefoot (lived in far north Phoenix off of Pinnacle Peak Road). Said at first it felt like a bee sting, then the sensation went up his leg. Not life threatening, but uncomfortable for 2-3 days.

I just moved to NW Tucson and have seen 2 in the past few weeks in my house. One was was huge, looked like a tiny yellow lobster as it walked across my living room.
I wonder if its the Venom that causes the sensation? I bought a venom removal pump for that reason.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:05 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I wonder if its the Venom that causes the sensation? I bought a venom removal pump for that reason.
Of course its the venom that causes the sensation. Its a neurotoxic venom that isn't pleasant at all.

Bark scorpion stings can be excruciating. Hot, intense pain that can last for days, with side effects (feels like an electric shock) that can last for weeks, depending on the person's reaction. Children and elderly should seek medical attention, healthy adults should be fine, just deal with the pain and take painkillers. Bark scorpions are also arboreal, meaning they are excellent climbers. Youll see them way up trees, high up on walls, on the ceilings, etc.

Return the venom removal pump. You just wasted money on it. Venom is injected into the bloodstream, subcutaneously. Once stung, theres nothing you can do, despite the ridiculous wives tales. It coursing through your body instantly, basically.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:03 PM

402 posts, read 686,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
For the people who have been stung by a scorpion, is it about on par with a bee/wasp/hornet sting as far as painfulness?
I've been stung half a dozen times over the years. It hurts a lot for a couple hours or less and then goes away. That being said, I'm not allergic to them so I don't worry about them. BTW if you haven't seen them, you aren't looking. they are everywhere. buy one of those black=lights at the hardware store just made for them(they all fluoresce)

Old 08-14-2018, 05:14 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
I've been stung half a dozen times over the years. It hurts a lot for a couple hours or less and then goes away. That being said, I'm not allergic to them so I don't worry about them. BTW if you haven't seen them, you aren't looking. they are everywhere. buy one of those black=lights at the hardware store just made for them(they all fluoresce)
They may be everywhere out in Pinal County, but that’s not true for metro Phoenix.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:48 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Is that still a thing? You can't suck venom out, this has been known for more than a decade.

Quote:
Methods
A mock venom (1 mL normal saline solution, 5.0 mg albumin, 2.5 mg aggregated albumin) radioactively labeled with 1 mCi of technetium was injected with a curved 16-gauge hypodermic needle 1 cm into the right lateral lower leg of 8 supine male volunteers aged 28 to 51 years. The Sawyer Extractor pump was applied after a 3-minute delay, and the blood removed by suction was collected after an additional 15 minutes. A 1991 Siemens Diacam was used to take measurements of the radioactive counts extracted and those remaining in the leg and body.

Results
The “envenomation load,” as measured by mean radioactivity in the leg after injection, was 89,895 counts/min. The mean radioactivity found in the blood extracted in the 15 minutes of suction was 38.5 counts/min (95% confidence interval [CI] −33 to 110 counts/min), representing 0.04% of the envenomation load. The postextraction leg count was less than the envenomation load by 1,832 counts/min (95% CI −3,863 to 200 counts/min), representing a 2.0% decrease in the total body venom load.

Conclusion
The Sawyer Extractor pump removed bloody fluid from our simulated snakebite wounds but removed virtually no mock venom, which suggests that suction is unlikely to be an effective treatment for reducing the total body venom burden after a venomous snakebite.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/14747805/

Old 08-14-2018, 11:35 PM

344 posts, read 642,612 times
Yes but it was as a teen and before home spray became deadly for insects but not to humans. We have Sierra Pest spray our house monthly and I spray in closets and doorsills often. Any room that gets moped gets a spray that day.
I've killed 5 in the house this year but they were already close to being dead.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:39 PM

344 posts, read 642,612 times
Wear shoes of some kind at night. Empty your footwear that was on the floor before you don them. Turn a light on when you go to the potty at night. Do not leave a door open anytime unless the area is sprayed in some depth.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:57 AM

Seems like a major hassle , and no way to live day to day .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona