Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2018, 09:23 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Part of the purpose of requesting the ballot is because your can drop it on election day and not have to wait in lines.

That is a feature, not a bug.

It's also not a big deal, inconvenience or mucking things up.

Again, no one is getting seated anytime soon - you don't start based on when your race is called

Quit having the patience of a young child

Why the snarky young child comment?

I'm in no hurry here.

But you say convenience, I say bugs opens the door for perceived 'voter irregularities' that leads to the involvement of courts and lawyers and turns people off from voting.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:36 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Why the snarky young child comment?

I'm in no hurry here.

But you say convenience, I say bugs opens the door for perceived 'voter irregularities' that leads to the involvement of courts and lawyers and turns people off from voting.
Plenty of other states run largely mail in balloting and there is no major concern about irregularities. The talk about fraud is being largely politically driven. It’s not a real issue.

Cindy McCain today asked the AZ GOP why they don’t want her absentee ballot counted.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 11-09-2018 at 11:16 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Plenty of other states run largely mail in balloting and there is no major concern about irregularities. The talk about fraud is being largely politically driven. It’s not a real issue.

Cindy McCain today asked the AZ GOP why they don’t want her absentee ballot counted.

So why not mail it back, check on line with the county recorder (Maricopa county Recorder is a Dem) to verify that your ballot has been "Signature Verified and Counted?" Saves time, tax dollars and leaves no room for irregularities. If it was political, non Dems wouldn't trust that the County Recorder was actually counting their votes.

I don't really care what Mrs McCain says but why was she absentee (her tweet says mail in)? Did she check on line to see if her ballot was verified and counted? If not, why not? Does she not know how the system works?

The overall voting discussion amuses me because people want election day to be a holiday, early voting, mail in vote, etc. yet, like Pavlovian dogs, they go nuts on election day. It should be changed to counting day and whatever is turned in on that day needs to be backed up with your voter ID.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:51 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Exactly - the gaming is more on the front end than the back end when it come to electioneering anyway

BM - sorry if I misread you tone, I've been hearing a lot of whining about having to wait to know or mindless complaining that the process takes time - i took your comment with the same time

Old 11-09-2018, 12:30 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
So why not mail it back, check on line with the county recorder (Maricopa county Recorder is a Dem) to verify that your ballot has been "Signature Verified and Counted?" Saves time, tax dollars and leaves no room for irregularities. If it was political, non Dems wouldn't trust that the County Recorder was actually counting their votes.

I don't really care what Mrs McCain says but why was she absentee (her tweet says mail in)? Did she check on line to see if her ballot was verified and counted? If not, why not? Does she not know how the system works?

The overall voting discussion amuses me because people want election day to be a holiday, early voting, mail in vote, etc. yet, like Pavlovian dogs, they go nuts on election day. It should be changed to counting day and whatever is turned in on that day needs to be backed up with your voter ID.
In Colorado there is a very clear delineation between when you can mail your ballot in and when you need to take it to a drop box. The deadline for mailing them passed last week. After that point every local news reporter and politician is on the air reminding people that ballots need to be taken to drop boxes.

I get an email from the state when they mail me my ballot and another once it has been received back. The system works quite well.

I don’t understand why you think that people mailing ballots in are alright, but people dropping them off need to be ID’d. That makes no sense.

If more states moved to an all mail in ballot option, there would be no reason for Election Day to be a holiday. There are plenty of states that still force people to take off work and stand in line. Those states should absolutely have Election Day be a holiday or change their procedures.

I think the main gripe people have with AZ is that there is no practical reason for it to take days after election to count ballots. Other states manage this just fine. What are they doing that AZ isn’t?

Old 11-09-2018, 12:31 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
I wonder if Trump’s pardoning of former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio - which was almost certainly done for no other reason than to poke his critics in the eye - has damaged the Republican Party in Arizona. And to my knowledge John McCain did nothing to grow the party in Arizona.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Exactly - the gaming is more on the front end than the back end when it come to electioneering anyway

BM - sorry if I misread you tone, I've been hearing a lot of whining about having to wait to know or mindless complaining that the process takes time - i took your comment with the same time

No problem.

I am whining about this but it's more about personal responsibility and expectations than waiting. I have little faith in any process involving the government so when I am offered a chance to expedite something like voting that I can do ahead of the crowd and verify from my desk, then I am all in.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
In Colorado there is a very clear delineation between when you can mail your ballot in and when you need to take it to a drop box. The deadline for mailing them passed last week. After that point every local news reporter and politician is on the air reminding people that ballots need to be taken to drop boxes.

I get an email from the state when they mail me my ballot and another once it has been received back. The system works quite well.

I don’t understand why you think that people mailing ballots in are alright, but people dropping them off need to be ID’d. That makes no sense.

If more states moved to an all mail in ballot option, there would be no reason for Election Day to be a holiday. There are plenty of states that still force people to take off work and stand in line. Those states should absolutely have Election Day be a holiday or change their procedures.

I think the main gripe people have with AZ is that there is no practical reason for it to take days after election to count ballots. Other states manage this just fine. What are they doing that AZ isn’t?

As I said, you mail your ballot in and the Recorder signature verifies and counts it. You can check this status on line (not as good as your emails, but better than nothing).
If you drop off your mail-in ballot on election day, this process, which could have been done weeks ago, is now in the queue along with all the other provisional and out-of-precinct ballots.
My idea of IDing mail ins when they drop off is only partly serious and would be a deterrent to hand delivering a mail in. It would probably never be possible to implement.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:32 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
2nd alternative, Sinema manages to win the senate, but the governor appoints McSally to replace Jon Kyl place next year. That should make both sides happy.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ona-s-senators

Old 11-09-2018, 01:57 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
2nd alternative, Sinema manages to win the senate, but the governor appoints McSally to replace Jon Kyl place next year. That should make both sides happy.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ona-s-senators
He probably should do that and that would be a smart move given that the voters just re-elected Ducey with a near 60-40. But for senator it's 50-50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona