Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 12:46 PM

555 posts, read 595,038 times

Advertisements

Durango gets a little colder and gets a little more snow than the front range. But you can't beat the scenery there!!

Personally, we're moving from the front range to Prescott, AZ next year (but we're older and will both be retired then). I think it has the best climate of the places mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 12:53 PM

558 posts, read 970,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast 2 Coast View Post
My mother in law's top priority seems to be a place she can enjoy the four seasons, have a hobby garden, and have space and scenic beauty.
Prescott fits the bill. There IS a winter, but it only snows a few times a year. I live at higher elevation and don't even need AC in my house.

Quote:
At odds with the above is my list : I like dry climates. I like open spaces. Access to trails is important. I HATE mosquitoes.
Prescott hits all of these. We moved here from Houston so I'm with you on the mosquitos. They are here but if you don't live near standing water you'll never see one.

Quote:
As far as geography, it seems fairly similar to parts of Colorado to me. I'm wondering if my MIL's aversion to AZ in preference to CO is based strictly on perception.
Probably. If you can get her to visit, I think she would be sold. We checked out many small towns in Colorado before finding Prescott. It was the clear winner for us.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:55 PM

558 posts, read 970,211 times
Another thought for your telecommuting. Prescott has gigabit internet service.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:13 PM

84 posts, read 87,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Durango gets a little colder and gets a little more snow than the front range. But you can't beat the scenery there!!

Personally, we're moving from the front range to Prescott, AZ next year (but we're older and will both be retired then). I think it has the best climate of the places mentioned.
Thanks ! Going to definitely check it out.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agorski View Post
Prescott fits the bill. There IS a winter, but it only snows a few times a year. I live at higher elevation and don't even need AC in my house.

Prescott hits all of these. We moved here from Houston so I'm with you on the mosquitos. They are here but if you don't live near standing water you'll never see one.

Probably. If you can get her to visit, I think she would be sold. We checked out many small towns in Colorado before finding Prescott. It was the clear winner for us.
Awesome !
I'm liking it. And good news on the gigabit internet... Something I could have easily overlooked too.

Prescott is definitely on the list.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:48 PM

499 posts, read 470,686 times
Prescott, Flagstaff, Colorado Springs, Denver. Prescott gives you access to Flagstaff, Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, and Phoenix, all within 1.5 hours. Flagstaff is less than an hour to the Grand Canyon, and 30 minutes to Sedona/Oak Creek. Denver is a big city but lots to do and an hour in most directions gets you to mountains or lakes. Flagstaff and Prescott both have a fair number of young people, although more in Flagstaff.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:45 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Well, your budget gives you quite a few options. In Arizona I would say, like many, Prescott seems like your best option since you work remotely. If not Arizona I would say Colorado Springs or possibly Salt Lake City.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
Prescott, Flagstaff, Colorado Springs, Denver. Prescott gives you access to Flagstaff, Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, and Phoenix, all within 1.5 hours. Flagstaff is less than an hour to the Grand Canyon, and 30 minutes to Sedona/Oak Creek. Denver is a big city but lots to do and an hour in most directions gets you to mountains or lakes. Flagstaff and Prescott both have a fair number of young people, although more in Flagstaff.
Thanks ! Appreciate it.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Well, your budget gives you quite a few options. In Arizona I would say, like many, Prescott seems like your best option since you work remotely. If not Arizona I would say Colorado Springs or possibly Salt Lake City.

My bad ... thought I replied way back here. Thanks !

Old 09-27-2018, 08:19 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post

Hello All,

Prescott is a great place to retire except for one thing. It appears to not have the healthcare support a retiree/medicare dependent person would find viable.

Phoenix, on the other hand, has a wonderful care environment with Mayo Clinic and other health providers in the area.

Can any Prescott residents speak to this glaring omission?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona