Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busfan View Post
Gas prices are rising so now all 48 states are saving 9 months of energy. Both Arizona and Hawaii are wasting 9 months of energy.
You see, that's the problem. Post a bunch of comparative times and then draw the conclusion that changing what the clock says is somehow going to save energy. You're just posting your dogma without saying a thing about how the energy saving is going to be accomplished.

I don't believe DST is about saving energy at all. I believe it's because some people like having a bunch of daylight hours available after they get off work, so they want everybody else to join them in going to work earlier when the summertime light gives earlier sun.

DST is for the personal convenience of those who like a lot of daylight after they get off work, and has nothing at all to do with saving energy.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:35 PM

55 posts, read 131,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We are not in a gas shortage

Arizona is not going to use DST
Gas prices is a crises! Both Arizona and Hawaii lost 9 months of energy and holdouts.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:40 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busfan View Post
Gas prices is a crises! Both Arizona and Hawaii lost 9 months of energy and holdouts.
Excuse me but, I said SHORTAGE - in the 70's, there was a SHORTAGE - there are no long lines at gas stations today - there is no gas rationing.

Prices are not a crisis -

In the 70's, we did not have nuclear power plants either.

Sorry - there is no need for DST in Arizona - and, it will not happen.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:01 PM

8 posts, read 23,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It seems that those who ridicule Arizona for not observing DST are either from somewhere outside of Arizona, or are transplants. First of all, it makes absolutely no sense to add extra sunlight well into the night. We get plenty of sun as it is ... too much in my opinion! We don't need to be extending sunlight any further during a time of year when the sun & heat are so relentless.

Second, DST is yet another stupid ploy by the government. They claim it helps save energy consumption ... but studies have shown that it has done very little (if anything) to save energy. In fact, when Indiana adopted DST, it actually increased residential electricity consumption due to increased afternoon AC usage. But it's just like practically anything else: the government tells us one thing, but what actually happens is just the opposite.

To make matters worse, DST has been extended ... it now begins in March & doesn't end until November. The time period during the year which uses DST is LONGER than standard time. Does this make any sense?!
AND it messes with these new clocks! LOL We have a clock that "sets itself" when you plug it in. With the change in DST (I am currently EST) my automatic clocks changed time on the OLD date for DST! Same thing with my mother's VCR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona