Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 05:48 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,409,101 times

Advertisements

Yeah, IIRC, the signs on I-10 where nasty dust storms are frequent ask you to pull over and turn off your lights. And wait it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 09:31 PM

692 posts, read 3,132,370 times
In my mind the "HABOOB" does much more then just darken the Sky and Threaten Traffic.

It lifts the soil from all the fields in it's path, and what is in that soil that is being spread and distributed throughout the whole area it encompasses with potential poisonous, toxic materials that you can breath into you lungs.

How do you measure that each time one blows thru ???

Thank you all for your thoughts and information so far.....

Silverfox

Old 02-07-2019, 09:53 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,535,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
In my mind the "HABOOB" does much more then just darken the Sky and Threaten Traffic.

It lifts the soil from all the fields in it's path, and what is in that soil that is being spread and distributed throughout the whole area it encompasses with potential poisonous, toxic materials that you can breath into you lungs.

How do you measure that each time one blows thru ???

Thank you all for your thoughts and information so far.....

Silverfox
We walk around with gasmasks on 24/7.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:02 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,197,761 times
It does seem like the scary-looking haboobs engulfing Phoenix are a different animal than the I-10 dust storms in the Valley of the Casa Grande and around Willcox.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:59 PM

692 posts, read 3,132,370 times
What's in a haboob? Poop and Valley Fever spores

Posted: 8:29 PM, Jul 06, 2018

Updated: 1:44 PM, Jul 08, 2018

By: Melissa Blasius

A haboob's giant brown wall contains a lot more than desert dirt, according to air quality experts.

Next time you want to get close to this weather phenomenon, you should know plenty of icky stuff could be along for the dusty ride.

That includes manure and pesticides from agricultural land. The wind whipping across roads and highways could kick up brake dust and tiny pieces of tires. Spores beneath the desert crust could also go airborne, making people sick with Valley fever, which is a fungal lung infection.

"There's quite a bit of research to try to look at what is the effect of Valley fever and how is it linked with these dust storms," said Ronald Pope, an atmospheric scientist at the Maricopa County Air Quality Department.

Air quality experts say the particles big enough to see, like dirt and sand, are mostly filtered out in your nose and throat, so they don't get lodged in your lungs.

Dust storms also have microscopic particles, which scientists call PM10. Those particles in sufficient qualities can be harmful, especially to people with respiratory illnesses.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:29 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,197,761 times
Valley fever is a lot like a cold. By that I mean you can try hardest to avoid it, but eventually it will find you, particularly if you spend any time outside where there's dust. Lord knows there's plenty of that here in Arizona. Most people and pets only experience a mild reaction to it.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:55 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,410,738 times
Doesn't that go for every place where the wind blows????? These last years are nothing to worry about. You're in diapers again screaming....
Just stay inside. The house,store,car, place of work....

Old 02-11-2019, 03:39 PM

344 posts, read 639,184 times
I live in S Vista. No Haboobs but lots of idiots.
Actually very heavy winds come out of Garden Canyon especially in the Spring. But, G Canyon is what it says, heavily vegetated. I have seen a skinny G I blowing in the wind once or twice but they get collected.
The serious thing is fire. We had the Monument Fire a few years ago that burned about 50 homes down and ripped through Ramsey Canyon, jumped the Mountains and ripped through what is called Site Boston on the East range. That fire spread extremely fast and actually jumped the road right at the Buffalo Soldier, Avandia Cochise T/ and the Circle K Gas Station, whooooie. I was pumping gas in my car, just minding my own business when someone yelled, "Hey Idiot. The fires gonna jump the road." I of course was holding the gas pump in my hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona