Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 09:43 PM

182 posts, read 205,044 times

Advertisements

I am looking all over for a warm place to live. I prefer small cities, but may consider the Phoenix metropolitan area.
Out of those listed, which would be considered the safest? Bear in mind that I will be renting a (relatively cheap) apartment and will be using public transportation and bike/ walk to get around.

As I said, I am looking all over. So, Gainesville, FL and San Marcos, TX are also on the list, but I do love the southwest.

I plan to visit all (or most) of these places, but I'm wondering if there is any city I should cross off and which ones should be on the top of my list..
I should note that I have lived in Tucson and felt relatively safe in the Speedway/ Pantano area, even walking late at night. Though, this was back in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 05:33 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
I would scratch off BHC and Laughlin, unless you are particularly fond of wind.....Out of those mentioned, I am partial to Sierra Vista. Cooler than the the Phx area, yet close to Tuscon for amenities, close to the mtns, close enough to Willcox to enjoy the fruits and vegetables, the wineries of Sonoita, the silver jewelry market in Nogales....and it has a DAV shuttle service to the VA Hospital in Tucson if that matters to you.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-04-2019, 07:14 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
BHC/Laughlin are way too hot in summer to live in year round for me.
Average july high is 112F ....hotter than Yuma or Phoenix

Sierra Vista or Las Cruces are both good.

Another poster put in a plug for Sierra Vista ...I’ll do the same for Las Cruces.

Sierra Vista is close to Tucson....
Las Cruces is close to similar sized El Paso.

Las Cruces is bigger than Sierra Vista...about 110,000 ....metro pop. about 250,000

Las Cruces is about 700 feet lower in elevation than Sierra Vista but has a climate
very similar to Sierra Vista ....average high in january about 60F ....average july high about 95F

Las Cruces has many interesting places to see within a 2 hr driving range ...including....
White Sands National Monument
Elephant Butte and Caballo lakes...two of the biggest in NM.
Hot springs in the Truth or Consequences area.
Cloudcroft....a cool (literally) mountain town at about 9,000 ft elevation.
Sierra Blanca ...tallest mountain in southern NM at 12,003 feet
it has a very good ski area ....Ski Apache ...has a high speed gondola up to 11,400 ft.
Ruidoso and horse racing....Sunland Park horse racing too.
Huge pecan groves just south of LC ar Stahman Farms ....over 150,000 pecan trees.
Old Mesilla....former “mexican border” town....with shops, old church/plaza, and good restaurants.

And last but not least ....the Organ Mountains ....highest peak 9,119 ft.,
named that because the very jagged peaks look like organ pipes.
Any where you are in the LC area you see them, they loom large in the background and
are really mesmerizing. Very good for recreation too, with parks and trails on both sides.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:16 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Laughlin would be the safest.. Nogales is safe and convenient.. not everyone's cup of tea, but the climate is significantly better down there. Las Cruces is in the wrong state, that seems predispositioned to poverty.. but that is kind of the culture in Nogales, too, but it is cool to walk into Mexico and buy duty free... Santa Cruz County has the highest longevity in the state of Arizona. Employment issues are an entirely different matter.. and Phoenix would have the most opportunity, but the bus system sucks.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:13 AM

182 posts, read 205,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I would scratch off BHC and Laughlin, unless you are particularly fond of wind.....Out of those mentioned, I am partial to Sierra Vista. Cooler than the the Phx area, yet close to Tuscon for amenities, close to the mtns, close enough to Willcox to enjoy the fruits and vegetables, the wineries of Sonoita, the silver jewelry market in Nogales....and it has a DAV shuttle service to the VA Hospital in Tucson if that matters to you.

Regards
Gemstone1
I am, in fact. Love the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
BHC/Laughlin are way too hot in summer to live in year round for me.
Average july high is 112F ....hotter than Yuma or Phoenix
That's actually alright; I am always cold and love high temperatures like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona