Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 05:32 PM

5 posts, read 6,468 times

Advertisements

Left and came back twice. I hate it. Ive been here since 1994. It is cheaper to live than the east coast but thats all. I will be retiring and going to Virginia in 4 more years.. I cant wait..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 10:35 AM

1,336 posts, read 913,331 times
two months into the extreme heat... coming from a much more temperate SF Bay Area... and the answer is STILL NO.

Love Arizona with all its extremes.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,128,267 times
In Berkeley CA you can no longer say manholes.... they are now to be referred to gender neutral maintenance holes. I'm not going to miss CA at all.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:33 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,561,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
In Berkeley CA you can no longer say manholes.... they are now to be referred to gender neutral maintenance holes. I'm not going to miss CA at all.
I think its time to include a wall around California and the west coast, not just Mexico.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:55 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,654,633 times
I was born and raised in N. CA in a town of under 100K.
In 1967 the Army stationed me at Fort Huachuca until 1968 and I liked it.
When discharged out of the Army in 1972 I chose to return to AZ. Part of this decision was based on the fact that I married a native AZ girl in 1969.
But jobs were tough so I returned to N. CA where I was raised for better work opportunities and stayed there until the DoD base we both worked at came up on the closure list. I took early retirement rather than an assignment to the East Coast.
In 1993 I returned to AZ but work opportunities for my wife with the Feds was non existent so after nearly a year we moved to WA state so she could be reemployed to continue earning her retirement. After 5 years there she just could not stand the rain and wind and she relocated to Safford with the Forest Service and then to the Sierra Vista office where she finally retired.
We have lived in Tuscon, Safford, Sierra Vista, Hereford and now the Prescott area and consider ourselves natives at this point.
There is no way I could return to CA with the stupid laws that have been passed and the taxes on property.
We have always enjoyed smaller towns and the wife was born in Tombstone.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:15 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,176,288 times
Hubby and I have been here 33 years, I lived in Tucson 4. We are contented at this point in our lives. We have made friends here, and raised our children, who both married local mates. Do we love it? Sometimes. But it is more a case of living in a place we can afford. Had we gotten high paying jobs right out of college, perhaps we would have stayed in Chicagoland. But that did not happen, so we moved away to a new place, where housing costs were more reasonable.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:56 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,905,159 times
Some things I miss about IL (fall, greenery, abundant water, food, big city culture), but I wouldn't move back if I can help it. AZ is my home now, and Im coming up on a decade of being here. Yeah, summers are the worst, but the cool winters make up for it.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:24 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,625,545 times
I grew up in So. Cal in the 60's. What a great place to grow up. The beaches, orange groves all over the place, the deserts and mountains, it was an incredible place to live. Along about the mid 80's there just seemed to be a change in the place and in the vibe. It just started to feel differently to me so I moved to Oregon. It took 20 years but Oregon changed over time. I can't say it was political but it does seem to fit the time lines.
I still have family in So. Cal. My daughter and sister in law live there. I always get a little excited when I go visit and every time my excitement is dashed even before I get to my destination. Traffic even in the little small towns. Traffic all day, all night. Horrible drivers, rude people.
Once I get there, then I realize why I left in the first place. Over priced housing, expensive EVERYTHING, high taxes, horrible roads and mean people and just general lawlessness.
To me, there just isn't anything to do in California. Too crowded to do anything fun and parking is a nightmare.
I was just there a few weeks ago. My daughter asked me to work on a motorhome because her inlaws were living with them because they no longer could afford housing and were going to live in a motorhome full time. Once I got there, I spent a week fixing the place up for them and I couldn't wait to get back home. California just isn't for me. I loved it as a kid but it's been destroyed from the inside. There is no amount of money that could lead me to move to California or Oregon for that matter. Oregon was great for many years but it too is getting too crazy for my tastes. I'll never go back to live in either state.
I spent 25 years in each state so I'm guessing that Arizona might be my last stand. I truly love it here and there isn't enough money in the world to get me to move back.
Arizona????? You're stuck with me.
Arizona reminds me a lot of the California of my youth.
I love all the desert lakes, the mountains so close by, the open desert where a guy can still go and be left alone if he chooses. The road trips that are available, the history and the western vibe. All of that is very exciting to me.
Nope, you can have California.
I like Arizona just the way it is.

Just leave Arizona alone if you don't mind.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:33 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,509,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post

Or perhaps, calling them a "maintnance hole" is simply a needed correction to what was a sloppy and inaccurate description to begin with?

"Man hole" sounds...well...to be honest...like something one would read in a homo-erotic romance piece.

If changing the name of a hole in the ground from "man hole" to "maintenance hole" is that bothersome enough to cause you to want to leave the state, then you've got bigger personal problems than can't be easily parsed on a forum like this.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:39 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,192,278 times
I don't know. It's not like Liberals have to wear a scarlet "L" in Arizona. But maybe that will make it to the ballot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona