Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:59 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times

Advertisements

I have news for you. This state is mine!!!! Your being born here does not give you any more right to ownership than the mid west folks that just pulled into town. This will be their state and they will vote the way they choose. If you do not like our presence here that is also too bad for you and you must suffer from your miserable attitude. You base your opinion on mid west folks on a handfull of morons using bad language? That is a shame. I promise I will not equate all "native" Arizonians with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 04:25 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjvandever View Post
everything I said was the truth
Well, no. You stated a laundry list of glass-half-empty generalizations. We see a lot of hometown rants like this in every locale. The authors always seem depressed, and unlikely to be happy anywhere.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:44 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Default Somewhat the same in Alaska towards outsiders

Quote:
The people that are from here, most-not all-don't want you here, and have no problem treating you like it. It's the cities and their pocket books that want you here..and as a native, I can remember my friends and I telling people to go back home years ago. I was also speaking to a friend of mine who is 54, from Ohio, moved here 24 years ago, and said that when she pulled in past a shopping center when she first moved here and the kids were waiving and saying "welcome to Phoenix, now go home". This isn't new, we aren't the "nice" people that our cities make us out to be, and we don't like stupid small town people moving here....and here's why:

Please be aware that if you move here from a small city it does take 20 miles AT LEAST for the average commuter to get to work. Saying that, we have some very nice freeways here. The problem is, that in the last 10 years everyone from everywhere has moved here and somehow not realized that you actually need to go about 73-75 just to get anywhere in a timely manner and not get flipped off or run off the rode. You aren't living 5 min from home anymore, and you're moving to the 5th largest city in the nation-so please come here with the idea that you must change your driving. We like to speed here..and you are allowed to go 9 over on freeways-in fact cops go about 15 over most the time.

Understand that Mesa is not a retirement community. Oh how they've tried to make it one, but you know, we were smart-built a whole place for old people called SUN CITY-and I suggest that if you over the age of 55 and you don't want to be bothered with us "younger" people then you go there and don't try to take over the whole dang city-because we don't care where you move-outside of Sun City you are going to be treated like everyone else. On that same note...Sun City is a very nice city, not newer but updated-very affordable, and real houses. Please don't get scammed into moving into a "pre-manufactured" home on a lot that is not yours where you have to live by someone else's rules. AZ is known for land, and if you don't own your own and you've actually bought a house-then you have been scammed!

------so with that out of the way..please take into consideration these factors before moving here....

We have lots of illegals here. LOTS. Racism was never an issue growing up here..in fact, kind of like a real shocker when you really see it for the first time..and I'm not the only native to say that. But I can say that I can see a problem a brewin' based on the way some people are acting when they move here.

Know that this state is very Republican, with a very liberal side. Always has been..and it just depends on the economy to see which way we go..but I would tell you that in the Presidential election, I don't remember ever seeing our electoral votes going to the Democratic party. We seem to always end up in the red.

Know that lots and lot of people say there is tons to do here..but I see that tons of people hang out in tons of bars. Lots of drunks here. Quite a bit of drugs I've seen in the bar scene..and I no longer do the "scene" anymore because of it all. And I'm not talking, hanging out for a few beers..I'm talking blasted drunk, 9 hour binge drinking cuz it's the only place to hang out with all your buddies, and driving home SLOSHED. I've seen it, I used to work in those places, I know people who still do it..and I was almost even killed by a drunk driver when I was in my teens. The drinking problem around here is ridiculous.

For some reason, every child molester in the United States has moved to AZ. I don't think a day goes by in the news where they haven't caught another one. Keep tabs on the azcentral.com before moving here..it's our local website to the AZ Republic newspaper...and I really suggest you check out what I'm talking about before moving here with children.

And it seems like everyone dislikes their jobs. Sure you find a few who like their jobs..but mostly we have call center's, retail and sales here. Most people don't like that work, but yet everyone I know is always applying for a new job. So remember, even when the economy isn't down, if you apply for something, 100 other people probably are too..and you got to really fight for it here....but the good thing is that there is always some kind of employment opportunity here. So it may take a while, but eventually everyone finds a job.

Know your areas before you move here...I have lived in almost every city around over the years...and know the WHOLE Phx metropolitian area like the back of my hand. Lived in Casa Grande (we call it casa grand, btw) back in the 80's-newer houses put up..old town is now a dump. Haven't lived in Maricopa-but if you move there or Casa Grande-be prepared to never have any friends unless they live out there because no one's driving out there to visit you. The only road in and out is the famous I-10-which is overcrowded and connects right before the edge of Chandler with another freeway-then another freeway before Phx. I hear the drive is awful..and my many times in rush hr proved the people right. It's like a snail ride into Phx.
Gilbert & Chandler-both back and forth..nicer towards the outside more than the inside of the city..but they are very pricey..and really, besides the appeal of the houses they really don't offer anything as far as cities go. Tempe-total college town..home of ASU-nice houses in busy work areas-expensive with high HIGH property tax from what I've been told. Mesa-where almost everyone moves to because everything is always NEW NEW NEW(store wise-houses more towards the far eastern side like AJ). Lots of old people, lots of young people..lots of illegals. Downtown area of Mesa is old and dirty. Not too appealing. I live in far east Mesa now, almost by Apache Junction, not far from Queen Creek. I think after years over here I would definitely say I like the far northwest sides of town better.

Apache Junction-retirement community with lots and lots of trailors. It was like, at one time, the retirement community that wanted to live in AZ but couldn't afford Sun City. LOL. Well, lots of druggies there, people living with their 90 year old parents and riding bicycles. Really ghetto. Outer part of AJ towards Gold Canyon, and Gold Canyon itself is pretty nice..but very, very far from the actual downtown Phx area.

Queen Creek-what a nightmare-don't move there. Everyone I know that did regrets it. Far out of the way-a nice 2 lane road for miles to get to an actual freeway to get into town...live there and expect a 25 mile away job to take 2 hours to get to...and that is not a joke. But it is a good investment for 5-10 years from now when they get the roads done-except remember that AZ does not work fast at getting roads improved..and 5 to 10 years is not a joke.

Peoria-very nice in the northwestern part...I grew up there-age 7-18-wonderful memories, great schools in the Peoria district. Downtown Peoria area lots of illegals again. Glendale same thing..but then you have lots of Asian and Middle Eastern people for some reason. That boom came about 10 years back. I would say northern Glendale is a nice area..go past Peoria and it's pretty ghetto. But the good thing about the Glendale area, no matter what area you live in, it kind of feels like a small town there even though it's smack dab in the middle of the west side of the Phx area. People are friendly and there's a good night life scene if you like bars and you are younger and single..I spent my early 20's there..and I very much enjoyed it.

Phoenix..The only part I would even suggest is the northern part of Phx...towards Paradise Valley and Scottsdale. Scottsdale is like it's own entity-and unless you have money don't even bother to look at Scottsdale..and really don't bother if you don't have a name. You can move to Chandler or East Mesa or anywhere for that matter in a just as good house in a just as good neighborhood for way less. But if you want to be seen as "high society" or you actually want to buy a mansion, go ahead and move there. I personally have always thought that people put too much emphasis on the name. I grew up in what is now priced as a $400k house in Northwest Peoria, and yet, somehow though I lived the same as kids that grew up in Scottsdale houses, they still acted like they were better than me. And they still do..and they're not...so just a head's up about that lifestyle.

Avondale, Goodyear, Surprise...well a lot of people move out to those newer areas in the middle of nowhere..but it's in the middle of no where.
There are alot of people up here who also feel somewhat like this, however, it is because they come up here and want to make it just like the place they left for some reason. What I'm saying is when people move to a new State, don't go around saying how it was where you left and then start whining about the moose, wolves, bears, etc. THAT is what angers Alaskans.

As far as drivers, let me tell you, the ones with Arizona plates are a horror show in the snow, ice and fog, as well as Californians, Floridians and Georgia. There is a 50 mile commute to work in Anchorage if you choose to live outside of Anchorage with the closest commute being about 20 miles but that area has become crowded. Alaska has very limited road space.

I have never come across yet though anyone with the thoughts of their State such as you. Arizonz would never be an option for me because I do NOT like high temperatures and it's just too hot for me. As far as so many illegals, I would think the citizens of Arizona would start screaming to their politicians to do something. Just wanted you to know that people in Alaska often feel the same way about people moving here. Everyone of course is welcome, this is the U.S. and we all have that freedom, but newcomers should not leave where they are if they simply go elsewhere and want to make it like the place they left.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 04-17-2008 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: to add

Old 04-17-2008, 04:54 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I get a little tired of "natives" not wanting outsiders to move here. The last time I checked the state of Arizona was a part of the United States and I sincerely do feel badly for people when their home state or town changes. Change happens and you can either move yourself to another state that does not want outsiders, or move over. I watched California go from one of the most beautiful states in the union to becoming a third world country. We were not pleased, we simply moved. Our very nation is on the verge of monumental change and I do not think we have a say in it any longer, regardless of the party you choose. The politicians will do to us what they want. So, I say to those coming to AZ for a little bit of peace, or a new start, welcome to AZ.
I do agree with you except for one part. The part where you said "Change happens and you can either move yourself to another state that does not want outsiders or move over." Move to another state or move over?? Sorry but that is attitude of newcomers that gets natives real upset. If I'm moving to another state I am going to check it out and I am going to move there because I like what I see and how the place is.

So why would I or anyone else then want to go and make changes. If that's the case they should never have left where they lived. We have people move here and the next thing you know they are whining about the moose. Well the moose were here well before them so get use to it or get out. Anchorage is no longer a Frontier City; they have built and built and built. Large hotels, apartment buildings; they went totally nuts with building up here. I'm about 50 miles outside of Anchorage and they have built and built out here.

Most people up here are friendly, however, when transplants come here and start whining, they are very quickly told "then go back where you came from." Do you understand my point?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:34 PM

6 posts, read 76,861 times
Mi_mom...good job living under a rock...I go to Michigan all the time..my mom is from there (Grand Rapid), so is my step-dad (Detroit), my fiance and his mother (St Joseph)..and um...yea...it's pretty racist there. But I wasn't trying to say that all midwesterners are racist-it was an example of a lot of people I have met that are racist..and you know the ones I know will all tell you they are...and you people are just trying to twist everything I say around anyways..so I give up on all of you. Good luck in world of denial...you obviously are all just crazy.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 PM

6 posts, read 76,861 times
oh, btw..what i meant by I have all the family members and such from michigan..it's because of all them that I was taught racism..and what not to be like..and how to not be racist..so don't go twisting that around too..but I can say that my family that lives there is very racist..and so are all their friends...and it's totally disgusting. We weren't raised like that out here.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:55 PM

285 posts, read 902,037 times
I will say that the only thing I do in the winter with the visitors is not go to east Mesa or Apache Jct. If you do go just be aware some folks get confused or do some strange car manuvur. This is a great state I've lived, gone to school and worked for a company here. Many of our older neighborhoods have gone bad. I'm sure every state has that. We do have a very serious problem with illegals. I'm sure this will be a major issue till the President takes the responsiblity and fixes it. AZ hands are pretty tied at this point. Sheriff department are the only ones with authority to actually ask for papers. That is why everybody is jumping about how that is handled. Go Sheriff Joe!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:27 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Good luck in world of denial...you obviously are all just crazy.
Keep on walkin.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:15 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,460 times
Quote:
Mi_mom...good job living under a rock...I go to Michigan all the time..my mom is from there (Grand Rapid), so is my step-dad (Detroit), my fiance and his mother (St Joseph)..and um...yea...it's pretty racist there. But I wasn't trying to say that all midwesterners are racist-it was an example of a lot of people I have met that are racist..and you know the ones I know will all tell you they are...and you people are just trying to twist everything I say around anyways..so I give up on all of you. Good luck in world of denial...you obviously are all just crazy.
How sweet. Thanks for your point of view and information. I'm sure I'll file it away for use at a further time. When I crawl out from under my rock.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:55 AM

453 posts, read 1,628,489 times
I live in FH moved here 2 years ago from a small midwestern town. Why FH? Because it was small like the town I came from. What have I found here? Most residents are rude, think they are better than everyone. Why do I stay? My son loves it here. The weather, the lack of crime here. But I hate Phoenix, Mesa. I am not use to all the crime that I hear about on the news. I do not like illegals (go ahead...bash me) as I had my identity stolen from one. The housing here is ridiculous. But will I move? Who knows, depends on what happens in the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona