Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 12:04 PM

1,336 posts, read 913,063 times

Advertisements

Was driving back from Vegas this weekend, went through Kingman.

Looking left and right, seemed like much of Kingman is trailer homes or mobile homes sitting on lots.

Did I see incorrectly from a distance? Are those lots with lot lines, or people just sort of setting up camp in the desert? Is there water and power to these dispersed lots?

Very interesting area. Is there a website with local info and discussion about Kingman?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 12:34 PM

15,241 posts, read 12,807,390 times
Ah, yes. 93, the future I-11. It's going to be glorious when completed.

Kingman is in Mohave County, which is the poorest county in Arizona. (Full disclosure: I happen to be in Kingman at the moment.). So it's blue-collar, a cheap place to live. I have heard of the occasional luxury home but in my travels around the area haven't actually seen one -- except for the golf course homes at Cerbat Cliffs. Here's one:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6.../8369362_zpid/

Here's another that's been on the market for two years:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...67394069_zpid/

I went out to the KOA campground to buy propane for my van. Much of the park is permanent residents living in travel trailers, but they have fenced clutter-filled yards for their pets.

As others have said, there are basically no jobs except for retail.

I'm not sure if the far-flung lots have water and power -- one hopes so.

One thing worth stopping for is Hualapai Mountain Park. There are cabins up there at 7,000-some feet you can rent and a restaurant that is well-thought of locally. Hiking trails, ranger station, RV park, etc. It's a nice drive.

https://parks.mohavecounty.us/parks/...mountain-park/

Old 01-13-2020, 12:01 AM

Wow, two years on the market. I guess you don't want to be a million dollar house looking for a buyer here.

Well I was just interested since I've never quite seen such a spread of what looked like mobile or trailer home housing over so much area. Almost looked like a very expansive burning man set up of sorts. Hence my inquiry.

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:39 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,766,135 times
I looked (on Zillow) at Kingman quite a bit but decided on the Prescott area instead. Friends, hospital, etc. But...there were some nice properties in the Kingman area, and they were priced much lower than those around Prescott. Just depends if you are comfortable with the area....? Having said all this, I am a transplant and don't know anything about the area really. Maybe stay there for a week and check out the 'ambience'...?

Old 01-13-2020, 02:04 PM

I am happy in Scottsdale, just curious about Kingman as it looked so unique, while driving through.

I am considering a 2nd home in AZ, Prescott I found truly likable.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Well I was just interested since I've never quite seen such a spread of what looked like mobile or trailer home housing over so much area. Almost looked like a very expansive burning man set up of sorts. Hence my inquiry.
I thought about what you said later, that you were returning from Las Vegas, and wondered which area you looked at.

I thought it was Kingman proper but if you were on 93 north of I-40, it's only Kingman for a little bit, then some tiny towns with far-flung widely-separated manufactured housing and trailers off into the distance, past Chloride and the turnoff to Dolan Springs. They've got to be on wells. There seem to be an awful lot of them. It must be a cheap way to live.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:42 AM
Status: "MAGA - Mental Ability Gone Awry" (set 28 days ago)

13,151 posts, read 21,686,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Was driving back from Vegas this weekend, went through Kingman.

Looking left and right, seemed like much of Kingman is trailer homes or mobile homes sitting on lots.

Did I see incorrectly from a distance? Are those lots with lot lines, or people just sort of setting up camp in the desert? Is there water and power to these dispersed lots?

Very interesting area. Is there a website with local info and discussion about Kingman?

TIA.
Google Kingman in this forum. You would need about a week to read all the discussions. It's one of the favorite whipping posts in this forum, mainly because of folks like you that drive by on 93, or stop for gas and think they've seen the place.

You can't see Kingman from 93, not one bit of it. To the right you were looking at Golden Valley. To the left you saw some small unincorporated areas. Hint: they don't put the nice homes right on the highway.

You think you could suffer in a place like this?

Here's the listing. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-37631?view=qv

Or this?

Listing: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-47984?view=qv

There are thousands of homes like this in Kingman and dozens (hundreds?) for sale. Don't take my word for it, use Realtor.com or Zillow to do a search.

This was my backyard there. It's nicer than yours. (No, I won't show you the home.)

Old 01-17-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
[...]
(Full disclosure: I happen to be in Kingman at the moment.). So it's blue-collar, a cheap place to live. I have heard of the occasional luxury home but in my travels around the area haven't actually seen one -- except for the golf course homes at Cerbat Cliffs.
Totally absurd. There are beautiful neighborhoods all over Kingman with hundreds or thousands of really nice homes.

Quote:
As others have said, there are basically no jobs except for retail.
Yeah, right. People buying $200-500K homes on retail jobs. Completely wrong. I'll give you one example. Healthcare. Kingman has a huge population of retirees, mostly from LA. There are medical clinics all over Kingman and a large hospital or two. Where do you think all those doctors and nurses live?

And of course there are businesses, gas stations, hotels, realtors, lawyers, bankers, financial planners, builders, landscapers, city workers, state workers, police, fire, teachers and all the other people that make up a community.

There are some factories that have management and skilled workers who live in nice homes. The retail workers you mentioned would be a very small percentage of the people who work there.

Quote:
I'm not sure if the far-flung lots have water and power -- one hopes so.
Homes in the city of Kingman have power, sewer, water, etc. Those far-flung homes you mention aren't in the City of Kingman and have their own water and sewer for the most part, but they do have electricity.

Of course if you knew anything about Kingman, you would know all this.
Quote:

One thing worth stopping for is Hualapai Mountain Park. There are cabins up there at 7,000-some feet you can rent and a restaurant that is well-thought of locally. Hiking trails, ranger station, RV park, etc. It's a nice drive.

https://parks.mohavecounty.us/parks/...mountain-park/
That's the one thing I'll agree with. Lovely mountain park and restaurant.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:56 PM

Uh-huh.

Sure.

Whatever.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Uh-huh.

Sure.

Whatever.
Uh-huh, sure, whatever, back at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona