U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:00 PM

64 posts, read 205,110 times
Default American Indians?

I read many posts here and I was wondering why no one has ever mentioned the American Indians in your area? Does anyone work on a reservation that likes it (teacher)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 12:30 PM

4,939 posts, read 6,332,272 times
Large parts of the four corners states (AZ, UT, NM, CO) are Indian reservations. Most of the Indians live on the reservations, and for the most part you've got to be Indian to live there. As such, it's probably not much of an issue on CD because most of the people interested in AZ or the other states will not be living or working on Native American lands. (I prefer the NA term.) So the reservations are there but most non-NAs probably don't spend much time there except on vacations, and BTW there are some really interesting places to visit on the rez.

So perhaps that answers your question, or ask a specific question if you want to know more.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:12 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,093,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Large parts of the four corners states (AZ, UT, NM, CO) are Indian reservations. Most of the Indians live on the reservations, and for the most part you've got to be Indian to live there. As such, it's probably not much of an issue on CD because most of the people interested in AZ or the other states will not be living or working on Native American lands. (I prefer the NA term.) So the reservations are there but most non-NAs probably don't spend much time there except on vacations, and BTW there are some really interesting places to visit on the rez.

So perhaps that answers your question, or ask a specific question if you want to know more.
I believe that a resident of a generic 'Rez' needs to either be a member of that specific tribe------or, at least married to a local.

Read that I doubt a Hopi would be welcome on the Navajo lands, etc.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:16 PM

4,939 posts, read 6,332,272 times
Yes, that is what I was referring to. All reservation land is owned by the respective tribes. Non-NA cannot buy land there nor can they live there without tribal permission. I don't know of any instances of non-NA living on tribal land but I suspect there are exceptions.

I probably misunderstand what you mean by "generic rez" but every reservation is associated with a specific tribe.

Actually I'd love to live on tribal land, perhaps Monument Valley, but forget that because it ain't gonna happen. They don't even allow non-NAs to stay on the land during nighttime, except within the campground. Most beautiful place in the world IMO.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:28 PM

24,585 posts, read 10,768,450 times
What do you suppose Monument Valley would look like if it were opened up to the general public.

I don't even want to think about it.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:11 PM

382 posts, read 443,476 times
There are people of the medical profession and teachers that do live and work on the reservations that are not Native American.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:13 PM

1,198 posts, read 285,288 times
There's not that many of them here in Prescott. I've met some and they are very nice people, but there aren't that many here. The most I've seen were in Tuba City and places in that area of Arizona.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:23 PM

15,868 posts, read 18,641,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
What do you suppose Monument Valley would look like if it were opened up to the general public.

I don't even want to think about it.
You got that right!!! Just consider what they've done to Sedona and the Red Rock country. Everything that is not national forest is covered with houses and strip malls.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:11 PM

19 posts, read 45,070 times
Default im A HOPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I believe that a resident of a generic 'Rez' needs to either be a member of that specific tribe------or, at least married to a local.

Read that I doubt a Hopi would be welcome on the Navajo lands, etc.
I lIVE ON THE nAVAJO reservation and im hopi and im welcomed people who call it the rez doesnt want to say reservation because its too long and just to abbriviate the word like i call it the rez 2.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,953 times
I Buy Cigerettes On The Res.....i Call It The Res Too! Cigs Are So Much Cheaper There; Like 1/2 Price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona