Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 836 times

Advertisements

Hello AZ,

I'm a newbie to this sight seeking some advice on quiet, safe nearby cities to Eloy, for a single middle aged woman. I will work in Eloy, and can commute up to 45 mins. Not too big on social scenes, but would appreciate diverse areas with restaurants and large store chains.

I don't have time to fly down and check out areas so I will primarily base my decision from here and searches I find. I hate renting especially researching how expensive rent is in AZ. But until I 'm settled that's my only option.

I know you guys like details so please ask away? The last post I read on Coolidge, which was my first thought (work proximity and affordability on homes), was over 7 months ago. Red Rock also high on my list seems to have a high selling rate and low rental availability. Sigh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 12:56 PM

4,577 posts, read 6,279,448 times
I would suggest Casa Grande, just a few minutes north on I-10, somewhere off of Florence Blvd.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-24-2020, 01:30 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,698,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSlimm View Post
Hello AZ,

I'm a newbie to this sight seeking some advice on quiet, safe nearby cities to Eloy, for a single middle aged woman. I will work in Eloy, and can commute up to 45 mins. Not too big on social scenes, but would appreciate diverse areas with restaurants and large store chains.

I don't have time to fly down and check out areas so I will primarily base my decision from here and searches I find. I hate renting especially researching how expensive rent is in AZ. But until I 'm settled that's my only option.

I know you guys like details so please ask away? The last post I read on Coolidge, which was my first thought (work proximity and affordability on homes), was over 7 months ago. Red Rock also high on my list seems to have a high selling rate and low rental availability. Sigh!
Are you a CO in one of the prisons ?

Old 07-24-2020, 02:34 PM

34 posts, read 50,234 times
Maricopa, AZ would fit the bill as well.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:54 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,724,801 times
This really doesn't belong in the Phoenix forum. Coolidge is a poverty stricken backwater. "diverse areas with restaurants and large store chains" is pretty subjective. Neither Casa Grande nor Maricopa fit that characterization in my mind. I'd be tempted to look at Marana for its proximity to Tucson.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:18 PM

That whole area between Casa Grande and Picacho is one big dust bowl thanks to the two reservations north and south. Very agricultural area. Marana better than points north if you do not mind a 30 mile commute each way to Eloy.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:52 PM

3,819 posts, read 9,432,693 times
Cortaro Road right off the freeway in Marana has all the big box stores and restaurants for you. From that interchange it is a 40 minute straight shot to Eloy. I live 10 minutes away from that area currently.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:00 PM

551 posts, read 690,392 times
Casa Grande is gonna be where you will want to be at. It's the big town in that area. That area really is very middle of nowhere desert, just a heads up.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
Casa Grande is gonna be where you will want to be at. It's the big town in that area. That area really is very middle of nowhere desert, just a heads up.
I agree while Marana nicer...that commute may get old after awhile to Eloy. Casa Grande best of the worst for close proximity.

Old 07-24-2020, 05:05 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,182,957 times
Hello ChiSlimm --

First, welcome to City-Data --

Eloy, to be honest, is a small isolated rural town in the desert. It is home to 1 or 2 prisons, which likely are the only ones hiring from out of state. I worked with a fellow married to a Dr who worked for the Federal prison there. They lived in the southern part of Phoenix and she commuted. However, that was rough as it is a long drive. She worked long hours. They actually bought an RV and she stayed in it on occasions where she needed sleep and did not have time for the long drive.

There are some nice newer apartment complexes in both Casa Grande and also in the Marana area. I would concentrate my search in one or the other. These towns are developed. There are grocery stores and big box stores, medical offices, libraries, and whatever you may need. There are clubs, churches, libraries, parks, and sport facilities in these communities. You should be able to make friends (when things start opening up again).

Be cautious when you are driving as you will likely hit some dust storms at this time of the year. They often hit late in the afternoon or early evening. The term Haboob is often applied to them.

Sometimes electric bills are higher in 2nd floor apartments, particularly if the unit has a vaulted ceiling. Electric bills are higher in the hot summer months because people run the air conditioner. But it will cool down around November. I hope things work out well for you with your new job.

-- Hollyhock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona