Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 07:28 PM

2,082 posts, read 924,048 times

Advertisements

Not Friendly. It has been three years since we have moved to Sierra Vista from California, my Grandfather and his father was born in Cochise County so it was a type of coming home. I am some what disappointed that people here in my neighborhood are not Friendly we say hi to people on the street and we get silence or strange looks and this was before COVID-19 What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 07:44 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
When the opportunity presents itself go up and talk to them. They are not going to know you have roots there from a wave. Probably all they know about you is you are from California from your plates when you moved in. And lots of people in states surrounding California don't like Californians moving in. But you are essentially moving back which is different.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:34 PM

30,347 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Not Friendly. It has been three years since we have moved to Sierra Vista from California, my Grandfather and his father was born in Cochise County so it was a type of coming home. I am some what disappointed that people here in my neighborhood are not Friendly we say hi to people on the street and we get silence or strange looks and this was before COVID-19 What gives?

In my opinion, people culturally are openly friendly are not and this mentality runs deep. You ever notice how many people talk about how friendly people from the South are? IMO, it's due to the culture of the people that emigrated there which is mostly Scots Irish, English and black....these people tend to be openly friendly. The US Middle West was settled more by people from Germany and Nordic people who are not openly friendly to strangers. SV has a large German population...maybe that's why.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:21 PM

811 posts, read 621,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
When the opportunity presents itself go up and talk to them. They are not going to know you have roots there from a wave. Probably all they know about you is you are from California from your plates when you moved in. And lots of people in states surrounding California don't like Californians moving in. But you are essentially moving back which is different.
Yep.

If I moved from California (apparently you can’t say Kalifornia here) my first stop would be MVD to eliminate the tattoo on the back of all of my cars.

Californian’s have a multitude of sins to repent of and it will take work on your part to make sure the natives discontinue casting a jaundiced eye. My advice? Throw a party with unlimited amounts of alcohol.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:11 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,962 times
Do you stand out from your neighbors? Better or worse house, cars, clothes? Neighbors are apparently suspicious of you for some reason. I noticed people were mostly stand offish in my neighborhood, but walking a dog at least gets you hellos from other dog people. I think it may be a plus not to be social with neighbors. You avoid arguments, gossip, etc. Many people may have been burnt by getting too friendly with neighbors in the past so just go with the flow. It's not the worst thing. Having a rude, inconsiderate and/or noisy neighbor would be much worse. If people don't return your hello, just ignore them in the future. It really sounds like after three years they are not worth being friends with.

Last edited by bobspez; 07-28-2020 at 02:21 PM..

Old 07-28-2020, 02:19 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times
we had a similar situation when we moved to phoenix a few years ago; first thing we did, was to ditch the Illinois plates,(props, @Elna rae!)and, the next thing we did was make cookie gift plates, with home made cookies, and gave them to almost every neighbor on our block.
not sure how much that helped, but, now we regularly talk with most of the folks on our block, and we get along really well.

there are so many people coming and going in Phoenix, so its understandable why many "settlers" dont bother getting friendly with new neighbors, but, if you care that much, you gotta go out of your way and try to make friends.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:39 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Yep.

If I moved from California (apparently you can’t say Kalifornia here) my first stop would be MVD to eliminate the tattoo on the back of all of my cars.

Californian’s have a multitude of sins to repent of and it will take work on your part to make sure the natives discontinue casting a jaundiced eye. My advice? Throw a party with unlimited amounts of alcohol.

Good idea.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:31 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times
Just a sign of the times. I am not one to say "hello" to strangers but will respond in kind if someone greets me. The era of the friendly neighbor may be a thing of the past. I have not known a neighbor anywhere I have lived since '97.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:57 PM

811 posts, read 621,646 times
Amazing.
What has happened to our society? Where's the risk in greeting a stranger with a wave, smile, hello, or "how's it goin?" Much less getting to know those who live next to us?

Want a friend?
Be a friend.

Don't want a friend?
Maybe someone else needs one.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:12 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Just a sign of the times. I am not one to say "hello" to strangers but will respond in kind if someone greets me. The era of the friendly neighbor may be a thing of the past. I have not known a neighbor anywhere I have lived since '97.
That's quite sad. Sorry to say, but you are exactly the type of person I did not want to live by when I bought my new house. I've been here three months and already know all my neighbors. Neighborhoods and communities are what you make them. I don't think it's a sign of the times at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona