Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 06:03 PM

276 posts, read 577,265 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to EASILY drive around the Grand Canyon in 1 to 2 days?

I might be crazy, but I don’t know for sure . . . but I would like to make a vacation trip to drive my family and I around the entire Grand Canyon. Ideally, I would like to see the Grand Canyon from the North, East, South, and West sides. Maybe stopping about 15 to 20 minutes in each of these 4 stops (North, East, South, and West). Yet we do not need to drive in an entire circle. I would be okay to drive North and then drive back to cover the West, South, and East sides or something like that (if that is shorter). I would be driving from Las Vegas, Nevada or from Phoenix (via California).

Now with that being said, I don’t know how practical that is. I would like to do this before they start closing the northern parts in early Fall, due to the snow. Yet I have not found a map or directions on how to make such a trip in 1 or 2 days. So it makes me think my idea is crazy and is just not practical to drive around the Grand Canyon in such a way, in 1 to 2 days.

Due to COVID-19, I really don’t want to go on a group tour or anything. We want to stay away from other people as much as possible (to try to stay safer), thus is why we want to go on this trip in late September 2020 or early October 2020, when many children are back to school and non-retirees are working . . . thus it should not be a lot of people traveling to the Grand Canyon at that time of year. I have NO interest in hiking down in the canyon or canoeing/boating in the canyon. My family and I are only interested in seeing the canyon from the top and looking down into it and that is all.

If a total drive around the Grand Canyon is EASILY doable in 1 to 2 days, what is the best way to get the safest and best driving instructions to do this? I would like to have a map and directions in print, as I don’t want to rely of cellphone service to try to use GPS to make such a long trip.

Lastly, is there to get an entry "day pass" or entry "weekly pass", so we can enter all of these sections of the Grand Canyon without having to buy an entry pass at every stop we make?

My family and I thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 07:28 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
What you are asking is not easily done. Of course that’s my subjective opinion. North Rim is less busy than South, so if you are wanting to run across fewer people that’s what I’d suggest.

Passes are good for one week. In past years they have had a few free days, JFYI. Not sure if it’s being continued but you could check.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:47 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
The problem is that there is no road that goes all the way around the rim of the canyon. The North Rim is accessible only via a dead-end road, Route 67, which is closed in the winter. On the west side of the canyon, you'd have to travel almost as far as Las Vegas. To loop around all of that would be over 700 miles of driving through three states (Arizona, Utah, and Nevada) and most of the the time you wouldn't even be able to see the canyon itself.

If you want a more attainable goal, Route 64 from Valle to Cameron through the Kaibab National Forest would give you the possibility of a small loop when combined with routes 89 and 180. You could start and end in Flagstaff with the South Rim being your halfway point. That could easily be a day trip.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:03 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Plus right now Covid is hitting the Indian Reservations pretty hard and many of the roads you would need to take go right through them. As of today AZ State Hwy 64 is closed to keep people out of the Navajo Reservation which takes you from the east side of the park over to the town of Cameron.

Once you get to the Grand Canyon, all of the shuttles and other transportation in the park have been shuttered as well. That leaves a lot of the park inaccessible unless you plan on doing a lot of walking.

I do a lot of hiking and trail running in the park and usually go twice a year if I can. This will be the first year in a long time I'm not going to the GC. It will be there next year.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:37 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Plus right now Covid is hitting the Indian Reservations pretty hard and many of the roads you would need to take go right through them. As of today AZ State Hwy 64 is closed to keep people out of the Navajo Reservation which takes you from the east side of the park over to the town of Cameron.
Thanks for the reminder of that detail. Any travel through the Navajo Nation should not be part of the plan right now.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:32 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Once it is safe to travel, I'd use my travel time inside the canyon rather than waste two days on highways with zero views. Whip everyone into shape and do a hike to at least Ooh Aah Point or Indian Gardens on the South Rim. You'll see way more of the canyon that way.

Old 08-15-2020, 02:24 PM

843 posts, read 565,003 times
I basically drove around the GC about 10 yrs ago. We were staying in Lake Havasu. If I recall correctly, we drove & stayed in Williams and viewed the South Rim, then drove to Page and stayed there, took a boat tour of the canyons around Lake Powell with a Navajo captain and it was very cool. Then drove through southern Utah thru Zion, then to Las Vegas & stayed there, then back. Didn't try to see the North Rim, just drove the path of least resistance and did the highway tour. It was nice and I think it took 3 days.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:48 AM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Okay, if the Navajo Reservation is closed that effectively eliminates any sort of "loop".

In two days' time, from Vegas you could go to the GC Skywalk ($$$), then to the South Rim. Stay overnight in Tusayan. The next morning drive to the east end of the park (Desert View), then all of the way back to Vegas. It could be done from Phoenix too, or start in one and end in the other. Not sure which would be fewer miles.

Old 08-17-2020, 02:53 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
Have you considered a fly-over tour, or are those on covid-19 hold ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-17-2020, 03:24 PM

1,169 posts, read 751,079 times
Here's the closest practical route to circumnavigate the Grand Canyon, starting and finishing in Flagstaff and visiting both main park visitor centers. 852 miles, 15 hours of solid driving nonstop. https://goo.gl/maps/Ts9inbGawyZe4ZbV6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona