U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:03 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,105,910 times
Default KINGMAN Fruit Trees

Hi Folks!

Anyone know about having/growing fruit trees in the Kingman area?
Can you.. do you have fruit trees?
Avocado? Grapefruit? Orange? Lemon?
Do any of these grow in the Arizona climates?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 03:02 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,234,184 times
Looking at my copy of Sunset Western Garden Book I see that Kingman is in zone 10. You get enough winter chill to grow deciduous fruits. Too cold for tropicals like avacado and citrus.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:16 PM

567 posts, read 1,648,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
Hi Folks!

Anyone know about having/growing fruit trees in the Kingman area?
Can you.. do you have fruit trees?
Avocado? Grapefruit? Orange? Lemon?
Do any of these grow in the Arizona climates?
Thanks!
Im not sure about Kingman but in Lake Havasu Grapefruit,Orange and Lemon trees do very well its the first year after planting them they need to be shaded some sort of way.If they live past the first year and they usualy do if shaded they do good and produce great fruit.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:00 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,713,219 times
Remember that the Colorado River communities run about 10-15 degrees warmer than Kingman; summer and winter.

I have lived in Bullhead City, Lake Havasu City as well as Kingman.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:24 PM

6,311 posts, read 10,157,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember that the Colorado River communities run about 10-15 degrees warmer than Kingman; summer and winter.
Correctamundo. Too cold for citrus in Kingman. Apples, apricot, pomegranate, pear, peach, are all OK.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:42 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,713,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Correctamundo. Too cold for citrus in Kingman. Apples, apricot, pomegranate, pear, peach, are all OK.
Now for weird: Yucca apparently is warm enough for citrus, I am guessing is is about 2,000' elevation vs. 3,300'+ for Kingman.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:16 PM

27,544 posts, read 19,876,217 times
Citrus trees are subject to frost damage. Therefore you need to plant in a non frost zone or protect them with frost covering material.
kdog has the right fruit tree recomendations, those being decidous trees (those that lose their leaves in the winter) with their low chilling requirements, they would do well in Kingman.
You need to check with a local garden center to see what they sell for the area. Many areas have warm and cold 'microclimate' growing areas. If you know your exact elevation and weather patterns, then the garden center should be able to get you the right plant for the right location.

Kingman, AZ Weather
Here is information from a weather service about Kingmans weather for summer and winter.:
Kingman, AZ climate is hot during summer when temperatures tend to be in the 80's and cold during winter when temperatures tend to be in the 40's.

The warmest month of the year is July with an average maximum temperature of 95.60 degrees Fahrenheit, while the coldest month of the year is January with an average minimum temperature of 31.40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Temperature variations between night and day tend to be moderate during summer with a difference that can reach 26 degrees Fahrenheit, and moderate during winter with an average difference of 24 degrees Fahrenheit.
Kingman has had record temperatures of 113 degrees and lows of 13 degrees.
The annual average precipitation at Kingman is 10.00 Inches. Rainfall in is fairly evenly distributed throughout the year. The wettest month of the year is August with an average rainfall of 1.41 Inches.

'Established' citrus trees will tolerate temps from 28 degrees to 32 degrees. Lemons being the weakest and freezing at 32, with oranges and grapefruit tolerating down to 28 degrees. Young plants (3 years or younger) need protection regardless of the temps from 32 degrees and below. Again check with a local knowledgeable Garden Center for what is recomended for your specific area.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:59 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,105,910 times
Default Thank You...

Thanks Folks!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:08 AM

2 posts, read 5,362 times
Question garden

Hi
I've been lurking for awhile and decided to jump in.
I've read my sunset garden and subscribed to Sunset desert edition, but the reality in Kingman is the wind.
The zone works for planting ideas, but I've never gardened in the wind.I don't need green grass, but how about desert flowers,black-eyed susans, echinachas,
passion-flowers? Anybody with real Kingman experience?
Thanks.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:49 AM

1,408 posts, read 3,400,001 times
If you are willing to water it,it will grow. Cover it and baby them and anything can grow in Kingman. If out my way in Camelback the concerns are rabbits and deer eating things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona