Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:09 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Where is Bend?
Central Oregon, east of the cascades in the foothills.
Bend Oregon Visitor Bureau for Hotels, Lodging or Restaurants

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 11:09 AM

63 posts, read 225,701 times
Bend is right smack dab in the middle of Oregon. With majestic Cascade Mts. to the West and relatively flatter terrain yet still at a high elevation and 4 season weather to the East.

If Flagstaff is too expensive, then for the same reason Bend wouldn't work, its a very very nice desirable area caught up in all the growth, development appreciating values.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:21 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwnorth View Post
Bend is right smack dab in the middle of Oregon. With majestic Cascade Mts. to the West and relatively flatter terrain yet still at a high elevation and 4 season weather to the East.

If Flagstaff is too expensive, then for the same reason Bend wouldn't work, its a very very nice desirable area caught up in all the growth, development appreciating values.
I noticed that when I was there a couple months ago. The prices for homes. Ouch! Maybe even a little worse than Flagstaff. It seems like all of the great areas are priced way out of reach. I ended up finding Oklahoma was the nearest place with decent lakes and trees that was "affordable". Not much break from the heat of summer there, though.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:13 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I noticed that when I was there a couple months ago. The prices for homes. Ouch! Maybe even a little worse than Flagstaff. It seems like all of the great areas are priced way out of reach. I ended up finding Oklahoma was the nearest place with decent lakes and trees that was "affordable". Not much break from the heat of summer there, though.
And Oklahoma can get cold in the winter as well.........probably a cross between Prescott and Flagstaff.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:26 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,211 times
I know folks who moved to Prescott to get out of Bend. They didn't like the tiny lots the overpriced homes sat on there. Oklahoma is a bargain if you don't mind high humidity, ice storms in the winter, and tornadoes in the summer.

What about Branson, MO? It seems most of the bad storms miss that area. Very pretty and green with 4 seasons and temps that aren't too extremely hot in the summer or cold in the winter. Does get humid, although not as bad as Oklahoma and other parts of Missouri.

Last edited by Gretchen B; 06-01-2008 at 11:46 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 10:26 AM

87 posts, read 298,506 times
Property around Branson, MO has appreciated too, for obvious reasons. I don't know about now in this RE slump, but I suspect it's still not bargain priced.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Western Arkansas. The poster mentioned they had lived in Baton Rouge, and Western, especially West Central, Arkansas has somewhat less humidity and four usually mild seasons. Property bargains can still be found, but job opportunities may be scarce depending on your occupation.
Just a suggestion, but you might want to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
I know folks who moved to Prescott to get out of Bend. They didn't like the tiny lots the overpriced homes sat on there. Oklahoma is a bargain if you don't mind high humidity, ice storms in the winter, and tornadoes in the summer.

What about Branson, MO? It seems most of the bad storms miss that area. Very pretty and green with 4 seasons and temps that aren't too extremely hot in the summer or cold in the winter. Does get humid, although not as bad as Oklahoma and other parts of Missouri.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:36 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,048 times
Crown King is within a 90 minute drive of most the Valley. Go up there in the winter and usually you will find snow. Go in the summer and it is cool and green. The Bradshaw Mountains are closer than Flag or Payson and less crowded on the weekends.

Crown King, Arizona - EVENT INFO - REAL ESTATE - HISTORY - DIRECTIONS

Old 06-02-2008, 01:29 PM

87 posts, read 298,506 times
Although Crown Kind is a nice "retreat", and if you can afford a summer home, it can be quaint, it sounds like Ivanna is looking for more of a full community. Last time I was up to CK there were like 5 buildings and 4 businesses to "Down Town" Crown King. Not a place for anyone looking for employment opportunities, groceries, and medical facilities. It is a nice weekend escape from the hot and crazy madhouse in Phoenix though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Crown King is within a 90 minute drive of most the Valley. Go up there in the winter and usually you will find snow. Go in the summer and it is cool and green. The Bradshaw Mountains are closer than Flag or Payson and less crowded on the weekends.

Crown King, Arizona - EVENT INFO - REAL ESTATE - HISTORY - DIRECTIONS

Old 06-03-2008, 02:25 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One thing I have noticed is there are no true '4 season' areas W of the Rocky Mountains as defined by hot summers and cold winters in the same geographic locale.

Phx has no winters compared to Chicago yet Flagstaff's summers are not exactly 'hot' either going by Chi's

And; most of coastal SoCal has no de facto seasons as determined by average temperatures
Washington, Oregon and Northern California would all have four seasons. Short hot season (80s and 90s) but there are four. Fall is spectacular in PNW and NoCal

Old 06-03-2008, 02:29 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Check out Medford Oregon, I think it has the best weather in the USA. Also, Just enough town to keep it interesting. Affordable too, if you looking for a house. If your looking for a tech job however, its not your cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona