Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2021, 02:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,113 times

Advertisements

I am planning to purchase a vehicle from my friend who lives in CA. He recently bought his lease and he is currently waiting for the title from the CA DMV. In the meantime, can I purchase the vehicle and operate it in AZ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 08:59 AM

4,054 posts, read 5,067,807 times
Pretty sure you are going to have to wait for the title in order to register it and get plates. Unless your friend is going to leave the CA plates on the car...and you trust them to get you the title after you give them the money...the car would still belong to your friend until you transfer title.

Old 05-08-2021, 02:41 AM

108 posts, read 146,776 times
Since this is somewhat related (and I hope I'm not hijacking the post), I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the process is currently like, with regards to buying a used vehicle from someone and getting the title transferred over?

Can you do some sort of title e-transfer online on the DMV website? Are the third-party DMV places open for business right now? Are actual DMV locations open for business? And if either/both places are currently open, are walk-ins allowed? Or are appointments required?

If someone who is knowledgeable on what this process is currently like, a helpful response would be very much appreciated.

Also, good luck to the OP, on your situation with your new vehicle!

Old 05-08-2021, 09:25 AM

847 posts, read 956,586 times
Funny story actually. I bought a car in CA about 6 months before moving to AZ. Registered it when I got here and thought nothing else of it since I got a plate, stickers and registration. 4.5 years later, I pay it off, but after several months, I never got the title. Long story short, after contacting the AZ MVD and the bank, it turns out I had an "Arizona Registration Only" and the title was still in CA. So I had to send an assload of paperwork to the CA DMV to make them send me my title so I could go down to the AZ MVD and handle it. So yes, you can be titled elsewhere and register here. Although mine was owned by the bank, as I was paying on a car loan. I'm not sure if there's a difference in the situation described above; but still, titled somewhere else and registered here is generally possible.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,774 times
You MAY be able to. I would suggest to:
1) Create an online account with the AZ motor vehicle department (MVD) if you already don't have one.
2) Make sure you have the car's VIN. Call the MVD and tell them you just purchased a car from out of state, are awaiting some paperwork from the owner, and would like to get a 90 day temporary registration and plate number.

They may agree to do this over the phone. If they do, they will ask you for the VIN and then you would need to pay a small fee (funded through your online MVD account). At this point you would be able to print a temporary 90 day registration and paper license plate online. Once you receive the completed title from the seller get the car smogged if your county requires, and then go to the MVD to get everything transferred in your name.

I purchased a vehicle a few months ago from out of state and this is what I did.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:55 AM

4,054 posts, read 5,067,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Renegade View Post
Since this is somewhat related (and I hope I'm not hijacking the post), I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the process is currently like, with regards to buying a used vehicle from someone and getting the title transferred over?

Can you do some sort of title e-transfer online on the DMV website? Are the third-party DMV places open for business right now? Are actual DMV locations open for business? And if either/both places are currently open, are walk-ins allowed? Or are appointments required?

If someone who is knowledgeable on what this process is currently like, a helpful response would be very much appreciated.

Also, good luck to the OP, on your situation with your new vehicle!
Third Party MVD locations are open...the actual MVD is open (I believe you still need an appointment)

If you are buying a used vehicle make sure you get the Notarized Title from the seller and optionally, a bill of sale. Take those into either the MVD or a third party and they can transfer the title and register the vehicle. May want to check if the vehicle is due for an emissions test if you are in Maricopa County or Tucson and get that done prior to bringing it all in. If the seller takes the plate you will need a temp plate that you can get online (servicearizona.com)

Old 05-31-2021, 06:20 PM

108 posts, read 146,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Third Party MVD locations are open...the actual MVD is open (I believe you still need an appointment)

If you are buying a used vehicle make sure you get the Notarized Title from the seller and optionally, a bill of sale. Take those into either the MVD or a third party and they can transfer the title and register the vehicle. May want to check if the vehicle is due for an emissions test if you are in Maricopa County or Tucson and get that done prior to bringing it all in. If the seller takes the plate you will need a temp plate that you can get online (servicearizona.com)
Hey, Kurt. Since you seem to be familiar with what the process is like, I was hoping that you wouldn't mind replying again (and I would really appreciate it, if you would reply, when you get a chance to do so). My current situation is making things a little more difficult, so I am trying to get the necessary information in advance, so that I can try to make the process smoother and easier, when I do end up finding a vehicle to buy.

Here's the deal: I actually live in Payson, and I will most likely be buying a (used/private party) vehicle down in the Phoenix area, but I don't currently have any transportation, so it's making the situation more difficult. I don't want to ask for too much from the person who ends up giving me a ride from Payson down to the Valley, so I am hoping that they can just take me down to meet the seller and hang out there for a few minutes, while I test the drive car and pay for it.

Once I have test driven the car, presuming that the person has a clear and open/notarized title, once we have both signed the title, and the bill of sale, is that all that I will need from the seller? Would I be able to take the open/notarized title to a MVD location and get the title transferred in to my name and get it registered in my name? Or, as I have worried, do I need to go to an MVD location with the seller, so that both of us are there in person, and get the title transfer/registration process done together?

If it is as simple as getting the open/notarized title from the seller and taking it to an MVD location myself, that would be great; because I would prefer to do it at the Payson MVD location, as I would expect it to be much less busy and make for a mush faster, simple process.

Also, with regards to being able to drive the vehicle back up to Payson, if I were to choose to come back up to Payson and get the title transferred and registration done up here, would I need to get a 3-day Permit, before even driving it from Phoenix back up to Payson? And if so, is that something that I can do on my phone and be able to show the 3-day Permit to a police officer, if I were to get pulled over? Or, will I specifically need to get a paper copy of the 3-day Permit printed and have a physical copy of it with me?

And, one more question. I am hoping to buy a 2005-2010 Honda Accord for around $5000. Do you have any idea about how much I should expect to pay for registration on a vehicle that costs around $5,000? FYI, I live in Payson, which is in Gila County, and that's where the vehicle will be registered, so there is no emissions requirement.

I am sorry for writing such a lengthy post. If you, or anyone else, wouldn't mind replying and trying to answer some of these questions for me, I would sincerely appreciate it! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona