Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 01:07 PM

21 posts, read 54,744 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy some off-grid land in Mohave County, AZ. I'm leaning towards Mohave over Navajo, Apache, and Cochise County due to proximity to major international airports. We prefer to be 2hrs or less to at least one bigger airport as we fly often from the East Coast.

Which area is best for being within 30 minutes to a Walmart and major shopping options (like grocery stores, car mechanics, etc.)? I like the Kingman area best so far, but I'm not opposed to the others.

We wouldn't be living here full time all year-just 3 months a year. I don't want my stuff stolen when I'm not there so I'd like to be in an area that's far enough away from heavy populations. I'm fine with solar power for electricity and hauling water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,509 times
Hey! I don’t have a ton of advice for you, but I’m an east coast native (Northeastern PA) that bought 1.25 acres in the Lake Mead Rancheros area of Mohave County. We’re heading out there this upcoming March to build a small house out there. We live very primitively here in PA, but want a new landscape and loved Arizona when we visited.

Our parcel is a few miles north of Antares, in that big swath of open desert. Kingman will be our city for work and groceries. Let me know if you end up out that way and maybe we can connect.

Good Luck
-Ryan

Old 06-01-2021, 10:46 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsewwhat View Post
I'm looking to buy some off-grid land in Mohave County, AZ. I'm leaning towards Mohave over Navajo, Apache, and Cochise County due to proximity to major international airports. We prefer to be 2hrs or less to at least one bigger airport as we fly often from the East Coast.

Which area is best for being within 30 minutes to a Walmart and major shopping options (like grocery stores, car mechanics, etc.)? I like the Kingman area best so far, but I'm not opposed to the others.

We wouldn't be living here full time all year-just 3 months a year. I don't want my stuff stolen when I'm not there so I'd like to be in an area that's far enough away from heavy populations. I'm fine with solar power for electricity and hauling water.
Topock is the hottest place in Arizona in the summer, choose Kingman or Golden Valley

Old 06-01-2021, 03:39 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"I don't want my stuff stolen when I'm not there so I'd like to be in an area that's far enough away from heavy populations."....like it is not going to get stolen if you are in a remote area with no neighbors to keep an eye on your stuff ....
You are dreaming if you think remoteness equates to security.

I'm sure some folks find Golden Valley attractive, people do live there...but I found it to be one of the ugliest places in AZ....and golden it's not.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-02-2021, 09:30 PM

7,647 posts, read 9,943,762 times
What Gemstone said. Golden Valley and much of rural Mohave county has a huge theft problem. Literally anything not welded down is at risk. If you leave an isolated property unattended for any length of time it will either be stripped, burned down for fun, or squatters/dopers will move in. You will need someone on or watching the property at most times, because I guaranty the criminals are watching it. They come in from the desert on OHVs.

Also, the reason Golden Valley is called "golden" valley is because along toward sunset the heavy, lung choking DUST hanging in the air, covering everything, from many miles of dirt roads with hundreds of cars driving on them, turns the sky into golden rays under the blistering sun as if the gates of Hell itself are opening. Not to mention the freezing wind in the winter and I've seen 18" of snow!

There are many nice, decent folks and retired people, but also an inordinate number of real scumbags. I mean face tatted, head skinned, gunslinging, dangerous felons. There are reasons nearly everyone in Mohave County is armed to the teeth and many of those reasons live in Golden Valley, or Bullhead. If you are a right wing Trump supporting extremist prone to conspiracy theories you will love it here!

As for off-grid. It's doable. Most lots need to water haul, time consuming or expensive. There is a serious and growing ground water issue in the Kingman area. Another problem is expect 115 in the shade in summer. Without a $50,000 solar array and a Tesla battery wall forget air conditioning. I'm in Bullhead, right by the river, it is 110 on my porch at 8pm as I write this. Walmart is about 30-45 min away in Kingman or Bullhead. It's about 2 hrs to Vegas.

If you insist on moving here and ruining your life you might look at Meadview. It's only about an hour from Vegas, very rural, on the AZ side of Lake Mead. You might also check out the "Arizona Strip." It is mostly in Mohave County. It runs from about Mesquite, NV to just outside of St. George, and then east to Page. The little town of Beaver Dam is just off the I-15, on the Virgin River, about an hour to Vegas. It's higher, cooler, the mormon polygamist cult lives in Colorado City. They are (mostly) decent people.

PS - I am not employeed by the Chamber of Commerce, in case you were wondering...

Oh, I forgot to mention the rattlesnakes, and the scorpions, and there is a growing infestation of Californians...

Old 06-05-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
What Gemstone said. Golden Valley and much of rural Mohave county has a huge theft problem. Literally anything not welded down is at risk. If you leave an isolated property unattended for any length of time it will either be stripped, burned down for fun, or squatters/dopers will move in. You will need someone on or watching the property at most times, because I guaranty the criminals are watching it. They come in from the desert on OHVs.

Also, the reason Golden Valley is called "golden" valley is because along toward sunset the heavy, lung choking DUST hanging in the air, covering everything, from many miles of dirt roads with hundreds of cars driving on them, turns the sky into golden rays under the blistering sun as if the gates of Hell itself are opening. Not to mention the freezing wind in the winter and I've seen 18" of snow!

There are many nice, decent folks and retired people, but also an inordinate number of real scumbags. I mean face tatted, head skinned, gunslinging, dangerous felons. There are reasons nearly everyone in Mohave County is armed to the teeth and many of those reasons live in Golden Valley, or Bullhead. If you are a right wing Trump supporting extremist prone to conspiracy theories you will love it here!

As for off-grid. It's doable. Most lots need to water haul, time consuming or expensive. There is a serious and growing ground water issue in the Kingman area. Another problem is expect 115 in the shade in summer. Without a $50,000 solar array and a Tesla battery wall forget air conditioning. I'm in Bullhead, right by the river, it is 110 on my porch at 8pm as I write this. Walmart is about 30-45 min away in Kingman or Bullhead. It's about 2 hrs to Vegas.

If you insist on moving here and ruining your life you might look at Meadview. It's only about an hour from Vegas, very rural, on the AZ side of Lake Mead. You might also check out the "Arizona Strip." It is mostly in Mohave County. It runs from about Mesquite, NV to just outside of St. George, and then east to Page. The little town of Beaver Dam is just off the I-15, on the Virgin River, about an hour to Vegas. It's higher, cooler, the mormon polygamist cult lives in Colorado City. They are (mostly) decent people.

PS - I am not employeed by the Chamber of Commerce, in case you were wondering...

Oh, I forgot to mention the rattlesnakes, and the scorpions, and there is a growing infestation of Californians...

LOLLLL. Thank you for the very honest assessment of the area. I spoke with a few people of color who are familiar with the area and they echoed many of your sentiments. Violent racism scares me more than drugs or guns since I have little ones. I'm not interested in living anywhere where my skin color may make me a target so we've since redirected our search to other areas of AZ outside of Mojave county. I hear it's a beautiful county otherwise and I still would love to visit Lake Havasu in the future.

Old 06-05-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I don't want my stuff stolen when I'm not there so I'd like to be in an area that's far enough away from heavy populations."....like it is not going to get stolen if you are in a remote area with no neighbors to keep an eye on your stuff ....
You are dreaming if you think remoteness equates to security.

I'm sure some folks find Golden Valley attractive, people do live there...but I found it to be one of the ugliest places in AZ....and golden it's not.

Regards
Gemstone1
Thank you for the honesty.

Old 06-05-2021, 06:09 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsewwhat View Post
LOLLLL. Thank you for the very honest assessment of the area. I spoke with a few people of color who are familiar with the area and they echoed many of your sentiments. Violent racism scares me more than drugs or guns since I have little ones. I'm not interested in living anywhere where my skin color may make me a target so we've since redirected our search to other areas of AZ outside of Mojave county. I hear it's a beautiful county otherwise and I still would love to visit Lake Havasu in the future.
I haven't heard of any racism incidents in Mohave County, let along violent.

Jamies, do you disagree? You've lived there much longer than I did, so I'll defer to your opinion. But I didn't hear you say that yet.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:39 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,626,567 times
Two words that describe the area, Mad Max. That's all you need to know.

Old 02-19-2023, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,174 times
[URL="https://www.city-data.com/forum/members/sewsewwhat-2317544.html"]sewsewwhat[/URL], if you are still on here, could you please share an update. I had been looking in mojave county since I live in las vegas nv and have started venturing more towards cochise or apache. I think in some of those areas composting toilets are allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona