U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:23 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 4,573,709 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to assure you, Steve-O, that not everyone in AZ goes out hunting and killing and mounting snakes and scorpions...some do, but it's a macho mind-set...sort of like hunting animals in general, I suppose. But I don't want to start that debate.

Anyway, many of us do all we can to protect them. Just yesterday one of our deputies stopped to move a huge California Kingsnake off the road. A rattlesnake, or any critter in the wild should be left alone, it's their world. A rattlesnake in my yard I would leave up to our Animal Control folks, who (in this county) capture and relocate them.

Interestingly...most of the epoxy scorpion bolos and belts and snake head paperweights are purchased by tourists from the east and midwest. You rarely see those items on locals...at least not here in Yavapai County.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:40 PM

19,697 posts, read 51,342,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Just wanted to assure you, Steve-O, that not everyone in AZ goes out hunting and killing and mounting snakes and scorpions...some do, but it's a macho mind-set...sort of like hunting animals in general, I suppose. But I don't want to start that debate.

Anyway, many of us do all we can to protect them. Just yesterday one of our deputies stopped to move a huge California Kingsnake off the road. A rattlesnake, or any critter in the wild should be left alone, it's their world. A rattlesnake in my yard I would leave up to our Animal Control folks, who (in this county) capture and relocate them.

Interestingly...most of the epoxy scorpion bolos and belts and snake head paperweights are purchased by tourists from the east and midwest. You rarely see those items on locals...at least not here in Yavapai County.
Thats good to hear! I know not everyone kills at will, but I read many stories from people who do, and I guess I just dont understand.

Regarding kingsnakes, I actually own a Cal-King and he is the sweetest animal Ive ever seen. Kingsnakes are also very unique as they eat rattlesnakes if given the chance. But sadly, were I to release my kingsnake into a crowded mall, he would more than likely be hacked to death by "the only good snake is a dead snake" crowd. Ive educated many a folk about snakes and have gotten positive feedback from many, which pleases me to no end! In fact, I had a friend at work actually capture a large garter snake in a pillowcase and bring it to me at work, which I released it in a local forest preserve to take its place in nature.

If people want to rid themselves of snakes, I highly recommend they do it in a humane nature, call someone to remove it for them rather than kill it.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:46 PM

I have been known to relocate Kingsnakes (and Bullsnakes) INTO my barn and pasture area just to keep the rattlers out California Kings resemble Coral snakes and get hacked to pieces by the uninformed at times.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:46 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,586,744 times
For the record - I'm not a snake hunter - If one comes in near our property, I will either remove it - or it becomes dinner.

One of the bigger problems where I live are the javelinas - and those boys are nasty. You don't say "shoo" to them - Luckily, I've only had to kill one in the last year or so -

Coyotes are no problem -

Old 06-03-2008, 02:47 PM

Javelinas are vicious, especially a sow with babies.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I have been known to relocate Kingsnakes (and Bullsnakes) INTO my barn and pasture area just to keep the rattlers out California Kings resemble Coral snakes and get hacked to pieces by the uninformed at times.
Actually, the California kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) are black with white banding. I believe the kingsnakes that mimic coral snakes are Lampropeltis alterna.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
For the record - I'm not a snake hunter - If one comes in near our property, I will either remove it - or it becomes dinner.

One of the bigger problems where I live are the javelinas - and those boys are nasty. You don't say "shoo" to them - Luckily, I've only had to kill one in the last year or so -

Coyotes are no problem -
I ran into a pack of HUGE javalina around 1am up in North Scottsdale while out looking for snakes actually. They were along the dirt path that runs E-W along Dynamite Road. These bloody things were freaky as all get out! I had no idea they got to be that big!! Anyways, they looked at us when I illuminated them with my flashlight, turned, and walked away. There were 5 of them and they were BIG muthas! If they would have charged us, we would have been screwed, there was absolutely nowhere to hide.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:06 PM

Hmmm...interesting about the Kingsnakes. We have always referred to the black with yellow or white bands as just "Kingsnakes" and the brightly colored ones (red, black, yellow) as California Kings. I will have to investigate. Either way, they are beautiful. Had a regular Kingsnake in my yard once that measured over seven feet long!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...interesting about the Kingsnakes. We have always referred to the black with yellow or white bands as just "Kingsnakes" and the brightly colored ones (red, black, yellow) as California Kings. I will have to investigate. Either way, they are beautiful. Had a regular Kingsnake in my yard once that measured over seven feet long!
Compare your "regular" kingsnake to this (Lampropeltis getula splendida), the desert kingsnake. This is my little guy eating a pinkie mouse:

Here is my California king:

Old 06-03-2008, 03:25 PM

Ahhh yes...the pinkie demise! I looked it up and the snake I was referring to is a California Mountain Kingsnake. So I was only half right They are rare around here but we do have them. I never had a pet king snake but my son had pythons and tarantulas as pets and I raised a boa until it got too big and I worried about my poodle.
The Boa is now in the Prescott Animal Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona