Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:34 PM

94 posts, read 317,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yep, thats a female bark scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda) from the looks of it. Nice photo!

Also, I must mention that there is another specie of scorpion in Arizona commonly called the "Arizona dune scorpion", scientifically known as Smeringurus mesaensis. These are also confused with bark scorpions, but a quick look at the claw shape and size will easily tell them apart. Note the slender tail on the dune scorpion below (my picture) and compare to the bark scorpion your son took a picture of. Confusing, eh? Then look at the claw shape and size, the dune scorpion's claws are much larger in appearance.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...profileofS.jpg
Well I have a fair number of these on my property

Fortunately over the last 3 years since the house was built I see less each season. When first built we could easily find 10 of them by just walking around the house at night with flashlights, now 1 or 2 is normal. One reason is I have put down a lot of crushed stone around the house as decorative landscaping. This has cut down on the amount of crickets and other bugs, I guess they can't hide in it and it gets real hot during the day. Even for a bug it's a lot of uneven surface to walk over and there is nothing to eat in it.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:29 AM

94 posts, read 317,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let me know how you like em cooked and I'll send ya a bunch!!!!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
I like 'em cooked and consumed two states away from wherever I am at the particular moment. Being I'm in California and you're in New Mexico, that's two states away, so please start without me and bon apetit!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:11 PM

27 posts, read 82,204 times
puddy4lyf, are you serious about your catch and release program for scorpions? NO WAY MATE..."the only good scorpion is a dead scorpion"! Hey NYtoAZ I too live in tartesso and I've seen a few scorpions but nothing to lose any sleep over. Two of em were outsied and already dead and I've found two in my house. they were easy to kill. Call an exterminator and have your property treated. Also seal up any small cracks "usually under doors" where they can easily enter your house!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:33 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousM3 View Post
puddy4lyf, are you serious about your catch and release program for scorpions? NO WAY MATE..."the only good scorpion is a dead scorpion"!
Scorpions should not be killed arbitrarily! Most people feel the need to annihilate them for no reason other than hate/fear/stupidity, but dont realize how beneficial scorpions are in controlling the insect populations. If you take a sting from one, big deal (unless youre highly allergic), you move on. However, once you get rid of scorpions, youre confronted with lots of other nasty bugs that carry diseases (ie cockroaches, small rodents, etc). Yes, scorpions have been seen munching on small mice, black widows and cockroaches which are a lot worse to have around than scorpions. I cant wait until the day that people realize this.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:14 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Scorpions should not be killed arbitrarily! Most people feel the need to annihilate them for no reason other than hate/fear/stupidity, but dont realize how beneficial scorpions are in controlling the insect populations. If you take a sting from one, big deal (unless youre highly allergic), you move on. However, once you get rid of scorpions, youre confronted with lots of other nasty bugs that carry diseases (ie cockroaches, small rodents, etc). Yes, scorpions have been seen munching on small mice, black widows and cockroaches which are a lot worse to have around than scorpions. I cant wait until the day that people realize this.

I think the main reason people want to kill them is out of fear. You just don't see scorpions as much as you would see ants or spiders especially if you come from an area that doesn't have them, all of a sudden here are these things that look very strange and sting and it scares a lot of people, and the natural instinct is to kill them.

I'm not condoning that, just saying I think that's a primary reason. A scorpion is never thinking to itself maybe I should enter this nice house and scare people and sting children, it's probably entering a home by mistake, or for the same reasons that ants, spiders, and other insects enter.

I have to be honest, I'd be a bit uncomfortable to if I were finding scorpions in my house, but I completely agree about the benefits they offer nature, they are just as much God's creatures as anything else. And I'm highly against pest control that is not organic, those chemicals being used might be effective at killing pests, but what are they doing to us humans and our pets?

Old 05-30-2008, 03:55 PM

We can argue this till you guys are blue in the face but I ain't buyin it. Any venomous living thing on my property is going to be killed no ifs and or buts NO EXCEPTIONS! I don't care how beneficial to nature or humanity it is! I stand by my statement 'the only good scorpion is a dead scorpion!"

Old 05-30-2008, 04:38 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousM3 View Post
We can argue this till you guys are blue in the face but I ain't buyin it. Any venomous living thing on my property is going to be killed no ifs and or buts NO EXCEPTIONS! I don't care how beneficial to nature or humanity it is! I stand by my statement 'the only good scorpion is a dead scorpion!"
Well, that's intelligent. When your child comes down with mono, I'm going to crush it. (Jk.. I have no idea what I'm saying)

I was serious. Steve (the scorpion) has been one of the coolest forms of entertainment for me -- I built him a little 2-room "apartment" out of wood chips, which he shares with his crickets which I find for him -- but then at night... he'll knock a cricket off here and there.

I'll try to take a picture for Steve (the poster) soon. Also for Steve (the poster), how does one go about differentiating sex in the A.B.S.?

I had never encountered a mother ABS but found this picture, (http://z.about.com/d/phoenix/1/0/Y/r...02kirkhart.jpg) -- have you seen this in person? Do you know the behavior of the offspring? Are they attached to the mothers back for long periods of time? Looks crazy! Also, how long until they are able to fend for themselves?

- Josh

P.S. Steve says hi.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:32 PM

Puddy what the hell does a child with mono have to do with a scorpion in my house? Hmmmm...I fail to see the logic here. If you choose to live with scorpions thats your ignorant business. I'm going to kill em all baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona