Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 12:07 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times

Advertisements

BTW last December when we went to Pinetop from Queen Creek, Google Maps directed us via US 60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 06:12 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
If that canyon road ever ices, I wouldn't want to be driving it! I love taking the 60, but too many folks love to tailgate and try to race around those switchbacks.
Pretty rare that the freeze level would ever get down to 3,420', but the 'speed racers' well I just pull over and let 'em go when I can.

Old 09-23-2021, 12:50 PM

47 posts, read 98,803 times
Thank you all for your input and experiences. Very helpful!

Old 09-23-2021, 12:54 PM

47 posts, read 98,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
As far as the route, the 60 up to Show Low seems to be closed more often than the 87/260 route. 60 is more scenic in my opinion and twistier. There will be more traffic if you go through Payson.
Good to know about the "twistier" on the 60 - one of the kiddos is prone to carsick. :\

Old 09-24-2021, 02:02 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylelovett View Post
Hi all,

We are considering making our first family getaway trip in the winter (January) from Scottsdale to Show Low this year. We have never driven that drive before; whether the 87 through Payson/277, or up the 60.

Can anyone shed any light on what the drive is like in the snow?
Are the roads usually cleared?
Is one route easier/better than the other?
Is it treacherous?
I assume chains are needed on our AWD SUV?
Snow tires?

I'm okay driving in the snow. I don't love it, but can do it.

I'd love to get your insights/experiences to help with planning.

Thanks!
It really depends on the severity of the weather. There are days in December when you can drive from Phoenix to Show Low via Payson or Globe with no problem. But there are snow days. When it gets severe, even the drive just east of Superior at the "Top of the World" can get snowy and slippery - albeit infrequent. But it has happened. People unfamiliar with those roads need to be warned of black ice and the thermal con conditions that make cold bridges dangerous when it gets subfreezing.

The key is to have the right tires and take a "practice" drive up there when the weather is warm without the ice. Once familiarity is gained, it makes it a lot easier.

Snow Conditions:
* Roads can get slippery along the steep and curved stretches north of Globe near the Salt River Canyon. That road winds and curves a lot with steep angles. It's a high risk area during snowy conditions.
* The Mogollon Rim pass is not as curved or steep but does have potential for extreme snow just due to the elevation.
* Use snow tires or all-terrain tires. In severe conditions, a 4x4 may be needed. Take a beacon and bear repellent spray just in case you get stuck or stranded. A first aid kit and traction mat to get out of "stuck" positions could help too.
* Beware of the wildlife on the roads: elk, bear, deer, etc. It 's a rural area, so just know they can cross the roads. There is a fall rut and 2nd rut around December when deer can get aggressive and run across roads.
* The cold weather is not to be underestimated up at those high elevations. It's a big contrast from Phoenix. The White Mountains of Show Low are on par with Flagstaff in terms of the "high elevation" feel and snow conditions when it gets severe.

But the local people are used to it. Just follow the twitter channel for the AZ DOT and they can give road updates on accidents, ice, snow, etc. My 4x4 truck has a sensor that alerts to icy conditions up in those high elevations in the winter. It went off a lot in NM near Silver City's Black Mountain Range or the Raton Pass going into CO from NM. Stay safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona