Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 04:32 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutCA View Post
Yuma is probably the best border city in Arizona, but that's not saying much.
See I don't even agree with this, at least Douglas and Nogales have some culture. Yuma is half RV Park in an Oven, 1/2 pasty old white people complaining about the cold while eating at Culvers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 10:32 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
See I don't even agree with this, at least Douglas and Nogales have some culture. Yuma is half RV Park in an Oven, 1/2 pasty old white people complaining about the cold while eating at Culvers
There is no Culver's in Yuma. Pasty white people? In that sun? You must be thinking of Yuma, Colo.

Curly

Old 05-16-2016, 11:54 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
There is no Culver's in Yuma. Pasty white people? In that sun? You must be thinking of Yuma, Colo.

Curly
I've been to Yuma, CO, actually. :-) High Plains ranch country. Some good people there but it can get a little drab depending on the season.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,895 times
I've been in Yuma for 11 years and have not been able to get use to this heat or the lack of activities here. The activies they do have are good for tourist but that's it. Almost half of Yuma's population are "snow birds." Can't wait to move. The grass may not always be greener, but the weather will be cooler.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:51 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,540 times
Well Heather, try being there 20+ years ago as a 21 year old. Lots of trips out of town...

At least there are SOME things to do in Yuma now. The most exciting place there was Famous Sams in the 90's, there weren't any stores to speak of and Amazon.com wasn't around yet.

But hey, if you were in your 70's it was a nice place to be!

Old 03-13-2019, 10:08 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
I believe Arizonapearl's post #77 I think, was the best on here. It gets discouraging reading about how hot it is in Yuma and how it sucks. Glad to read some positive posts.

We are thinking of checking out Yuma in October. My husband and I are both disabled. He is on oxygen, and I can barely see, which makes writing this post hard.

I think for most people where they grew up is where they wish to be. I would love to live in Morro Bay, CA, but we can't afford CA anymore. We have lived in San Diego, and I couldn't wait to leave. So we moved to Oklahoma and bought a house. After 12 years I am ready to move but have mixed feelings.

It is hot there 5 months of the year, that is, in Yuma. I could see myself sitting in the house all day long. But I do that here. It is either too hot or too cold to be outside. In the summer you get mosquitoes and ticks and humidity. If you sit outside you get eaten up. We have both had tick fever.

The reason we chose Yuma is because it is near the border. We love Mexico, and so going to Baja would be fun. San Diego, not so fun.

I know about the dust storms, the crops spraying and burning. You just stay inside during those times. I plan to check the air quality in Yuma daily.

I have read that Arizona and New Mexico will run out of water in two years. Not sure what you all have planned or if it is true.

We would not wish to live in a bigger city like Tucson or Phoenix or even in a cooler climate. But I admit, San Diego at least had a good year around climate. It was the traffic that got to me.

There is no perfect place in the world. I know, because we have looked. Of course if we were rich we could find one.

We traveled by trailer, all over the U.S. Lived in Texas, Florida and California and Mississippi. The best place we stayed was Laredo, TX, but that is because we didn't say long enough to grow tired of it.

We don't go out at night. I don't care for shopping since I can't see. Here we go to Walmarts and the grocery store or a restaurant. We would in our yard in the summer for a few hours in the morning. It isn't much of a life when you get old.

I read a lot and run a reading group. Would love to find that in Yuma. But now I only listen to auto books.

Would be nice to be able to sit out in the sunshine for an hour a day and soak up some sun. Can't do that here without bugs.

My concern is if we go in Oct will they be burning?

I have called the Dept. of Developmental Services, and it is a good palce to live for COPD, but then not everyone with that condition finds it so.

I don't think I would live living where their are a lot of snowbirds, but then again, we wouldn't be driving on their roads, etc. Just tired of RV Park living as we had done when traveling around the U.S.

Would probably love to live in Baja but I don't think that the VA would bring oxygen down there for my husband.

I like living where their are different cultures, but where we live their isn't much, just white and Native Americans. Not enough of a mixture.

I can't imagine with my eye sight that I will be able to meet many new people, but I don't know.

I do have a friend who moved to Yuma and loves it, but she has yet to spend the summers there. She bought a lovely house for only $100,000. So she would be a plus if we moved there.

I don't know what I am asking on here, because I can't think of any questions at the moment. I just find people to talk to who live in Yuma, like the church I would attend.

But I imagine if we lived there we would find fault like most have. I loved OK for the first several years. Liked San Antonio for a while, Mississippi I never liked due to racism, same with Florida. You just have to meet people who share your values. And yet coming from CA the friends I had for many years, turned out to be racist, which was a big disappointment. The last two years brought it out in them.

Where I grew up in CA the air was dry. Paso Robles. The heat in summer was 105 on some days. It would take us 3 days to get used to it because we didn't have air conditioning. Didn't need it. Once you get used to Air C. you can't get used to the heat. STill, in Yuma you need it.

Please excuse my mistakes. I try to edit them out, but it isn't easy.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:19 AM

306 posts, read 336,019 times
You seemed concerned about the crop burning. I can tell you it's not an issue. No need to worry. You'd likely live far enough from the fields that you won't even notice it.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 AM

306 posts, read 336,019 times
Based on your posts, I think you have a good idea of what you are getting into re: the summer weather. I think you'd find Yuma, especially in the Foothills, a really good fit for you. There are many fulltime seniors here that can't afford to leave for the summer, so you'd have opportunities to socialize (book club etc). If I were you, I'd look at the 55+ parks that have a resort like atmosphere with pools, restaurants, activities, concerts etc. I've got 11 more years, but I might look at them myself. Seems like a good setup to me! Many are setup as rentals, but some you own your lot. There are some with RVs, site built homes, park models etc. Lots of options. With the rentals, you get a steep discount for staying year round rather than winter only.

Last edited by flint8ball; 03-13-2019 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: More info

Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM

872 posts, read 999,724 times
Yuma is just like Tucson, except way less trees, fauna, flora, terrain, teeth, culture and people

Big military prescence and as someone said snowbirds

But it is one of, if not THE sunniest place in the world!!

Old 03-13-2019, 11:15 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Thanks flint and jnv. Sounds good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona