Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,384 times

Advertisements

good place to retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 03:41 PM

5,144 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retireee View Post
good place to retire?
Do you enjoy extreme heat (100F at midnight) for three months of the year?

Old 04-28-2023, 04:02 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
I suggest you check out parts of New Mexico first, weather is much tolerable. East of the Sandia mountains, towns such as Edgewood and Moriatry. Closer access to a larger city with amenities such as ABQ.

Old 04-29-2023, 07:42 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Just make sure your A/C is working very good, & keep a backup of a couple window A/C units in case your main A/C goes out & you need to wait for repairs.

I have caught some nice Striped Bass & catfish around the lake & CO River (released most).

Old 04-29-2023, 11:07 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Here's my "not approved by the Chamber of Commerce" commentary. It's tongue in cheek, mostly.

It"s great if you want to live in one of the most right wing counties in America. Paul Gosar is your congressman, Borelli and Biasucci are state reps. If you are a maga fan and love DJT you will be very happy there. Havasu is by far the most progressive town in the county - which is also home to the Warren Jeff's polygamy clan of the FLDS church. Mohave county is still the wild, wild west. There aren't many rules here and those there are, are mostly ignored.

As for heat, it holds the record for hottest place in the country outside of Death Valley at 126 deg and I think it was an under count. I was there that day (1996 iirc) and didn't see any thermometers under 129-132.

If you want an idea how that kind of heat feels, take your blow dryer, point it at your face, turn it on high, and leave it on. Then imagine your whole body under a giant blow dryer. Then dump a bucket of hot water over your head to simulate the late summer 90% "monsoon" humidity to the mix.

I've seen it rain mud after a summer dust storm.

It's a party town for Californian's escaping for a few days of freedom to play on the lake and shoot guns and well, anything gun related. There's about 8 gun stores. There is a fair amount of drug and petty crime, as expected in a party town, but not terrible. But there's no real crime, because everyone carries a gun.

If you have a 1/2 million dollar go-fast boat you'll love it. Until some idiot on a jet ski lands in your cockpit. (Happened to a friend of mine.) I hear the fishing is pretty good on the lake.

You'll want a $60,000 CanAm and a built rock crawler buggy, if you want any friends. The area is a huge off roading mecca. Everyone drives their side by sides around dressed like in a bad Max Max movie with goggles and shemaughs to keep some of the dust out of your eyes and lungs.

Me, I drive an air conditioned Jeep. You need a Jeep here, because Phoenix steals all our road money and the potholes rival the Grand Canyon.

Reginold Denny (the truck driver from the Rodney King riots) lived there after escaping LA.

There's a bunch of party bars where you can drink and party. Or the "Main Channel" where everyone pulls their boats up on the sand and drinks. It's usually featured on spring break TV.

Google "desert bar Havasu" it's a pretty cool place, only open in the winter (cause you may die getting there in your CanAm in the summer...) A guy started it with some plywood and beer coolers. Now it's a huge solar powered bar/restaurant that looks a bit like "Bartertown" out in the "Nothing" with live bands and hundreds of people. One guy brings his helicopter and gives rides for 50 bucks. That's fun!

There's a whole series of little homeade plywood bars out in the desert where folks congregate in off road buggies to drink, shoot, drink, have bbq's, shoot and drink.

Down in Parker there are even floating bars in the river where you can tie your boat up and drink.

If you get tired of drinking in Havasu you can drive up to Laughlin and gamble and drink.

There's even a "desert church" for off roaders on Sundays out by Fort Mohave.

Oh, as for air conditioning, for sure you need a secondary backup system, AND you need a generator and/or solar system in case the power fails It's a given your AC or the electricity will fail in mid July, when it's 120.

As a Winter home, it's actually a pretty nice place from Oct to May. Even the ancient Indians were smart enough to leave in the summer. That goes for the whole county.

Lake Havasu may not be at the end of the Earth, but I'm pretty sure you can see it from there.

Try Yuma.

Last edited by jamies; 04-29-2023 at 11:57 AM..

Old 04-29-2023, 01:14 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retireee View Post
good place to retire?
If you're already living in Las Vegas then I would think that you could stand the heat?

Old 05-03-2023, 12:10 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Do you enjoy extreme heat (100F at midnight) for three months of the year?
Poster's from Las Vegas, what do you think?

Old 05-03-2023, 01:12 PM

30,893 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
If you're already living in Las Vegas then I would think that you could stand the heat?
Lake Havasu is another level of heat. It's typically 5 degrees hotter than Vegas.

Old 05-03-2023, 01:32 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Lake Havasu is another level of heat. It's typically 5 degrees hotter than Vegas.
I know, but when you're over 110 what's 5 degrees between friends? The hottest I've ever experienced it was 118 in Wikieup one summer. Before that it was 105 degrees where I live. All I remember is that both were pretty damn hot especially out in the sun. The coldest I was in it was 13 degrees below zero in Vermont. Step outside and it was hard to breath. I don't think that if it was a balmy 8 degrees below zero that it would have made any significant difference? You also have to factor in the wind.

If "retireee" came from Minnesota it might be a different story.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:19 AM

30,893 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I know, but when you're over 110 what's 5 degrees between friends? The hottest I've ever experienced it was 118 in Wikieup one summer. Before that it was 105 degrees where I live. All I remember is that both were pretty damn hot especially out in the sun. The coldest I was in it was 13 degrees below zero in Vermont. Step outside and it was hard to breath. I don't think that if it was a balmy 8 degrees below zero that it would have made any significant difference? You also have to factor in the wind.

If "retireee" came from Minnesota it might be a different story.
Just me, but that would make a difference. For a place to live year 'round, I think I could tolerate Vegas heat, partly because it's not as hot, and partly because it doesn't last as long. But I'm sure others may feel as you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona