U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:30 AM

633 posts, read 1,623,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAZToCO View Post
I found this on the Casa Grande animal control web site.

"Disturbing the Peace Prohibited:
It is unlawful to harbor or keep any animals which disturb the peace by loud noises at any time day or night."

This mean he really can call the police on me anytime he wants day or night?

Might as well ban dogs, birds, cows, horses & crickets with that statement! There has got to be more to that. Stipulations, surely..... but I'm not always right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 12:11 PM

6,356 posts, read 10,656,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAZToCO View Post
I found this on the Casa Grande animal control web site.

"Disturbing the Peace Prohibited:
It is unlawful to harbor or keep any animals which disturb the peace by loud noises at any time day or night."

This mean he really can call the police on me anytime he wants day or night?
Yup, that's what it says. I looked up Kingman's dog ordinances and found similar wording. I suspect a lot of communities have adopted rules such as this. And in principal, I agree with it. People have a right to live without being subjected to a neighbor's barking dog all day. The problem is that the wording of these ordinances are ambiguous and don't give much guidance as far as what is an acceptable amount of barking and what isn't. So ultimately it will be up to the police and or a judge to decide if it comes to it.

If your neighbor repeatedly calls the police on you, it will be up to him to prove that your dogs are disturbing the peace. If you're confident that your dogs are not creating a nuisance, then you have nothing to worry about. Eventually the police will tire of his calls and ignore him.

On the other hand, if he's able to prove that your dogs are barking excessively, then you have a problem. If he calls the police and they arrive and find your dogs barking, then that's proof. Video tapes of your dogs barking for prolonged periods of time would probably be proof as well.

Basically the bottom line is that if your dogs are not barking excessively as you say, then you have nothing to worry about. Otherwise, if your neighbor can prove that your dogs are disturbing the peace, then they probably are, and you need to shut them up using whatever means it takes.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:47 PM

53 posts, read 255,432 times
I guess my point is if I had a new neighbor who's dog was barking. I would give them more that five minutes to quiet them down. I certainly would go to there door at 11:00 at night the first and then second night in their new home threaten to call the police. I think I would try to catch them out in there driveway in the morning or something and politely mention that their dog can be loud.
I sat outside last night but left the dog inside and heard barking all around the neighborhood granted it wasn't nextdoor but does he go to there houses at night? I'll make every reasonable effort to make peace but if he is that quick to complain to a new neighbor I can see issue to come. What will happen when one of the kids accidently hits a ball over to his yard? Or when family and friends come over for a BBQ will I have to send everyone home at 9:00? I don't want to be uncomfortable in my own home or yard and I don't want to keep my dogs prisoners in the garage.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM

610 posts, read 1,425,797 times
I sympathize with your neighbor. I have lived next to others with barking dogs, and yes at 11pm it is a little annoying.

Its your dogs barking not his.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:56 AM

I understand I have to keep my dogs quiet but it was our fist night in a new home. Did you go to your neighbors door at 11:00 within 5 minute of the barking and start threating to call the police. Not to mention like I said they were inside by the time he got to my door. I don't blame him for having issues with the barking but it just seemed a little quick to be making late night threats to a brand new neighbor and I just wonder what to expect from him in the future.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:48 AM

9 posts, read 20,628 times
I'm sorry, your neighbor is a jerk! I realize that nobody likes to listen to barking dogs but this is NOT how you handle things like this. If you want know what to expect in the future, knock on his door, introduce yourself, apoligize about the dogs and see where the conversation go's from there.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:13 AM

633 posts, read 1,623,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
I sympathize with your neighbor. I have lived next to others with barking dogs, and yes at 11pm it is a little annoying.

Its your dogs barking not his.
Most people HAVE lived next to barking dogs. It is almost inevitable in a neighborhood. People have dogs & dogs bark!
FrAZtoCO never said that his dogs are barking excessively.
Personally, I do not have a problem with dogs barking, no matter what time of day or night it is, as long as the barking isn't constant. It is a fact of life, just like crickets chirping. But then again, I don't get bothered by much very easliy.

And I've never owned a dog!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:43 PM

8,632 posts, read 10,901,536 times
We disturbed the peace last night, all night long. I was expecting the neighbors to come pounding on our door and we would have deserved it. My daughters Lowjack malfunctioned and the car alarm would go off every 30 min. We could not find the horn to disable it, so we stayed up all night and when it went off we hit the off button. What a night. Dogs will bark when they are in strange new places for up to 6 months. We understand that things happen and sometimes you might have a sleepless night. Sorry that you have a jerk for a neighbor and I am grateful for the good ones we have.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:04 PM

I went over to the neighbor last night discuss the issue but he never came home. I also went to talk to the neighbor on the other side to applogize. He said that there was no problem he understood it was just dogs getting used to a new home. He said by the time he noticed the barking it was gone so he was fine with how I handled it. He seemed surprised the other guy felt the need to come over like he did but he had been there for a few months and never talked to the that guy either. He also pointed out the dog behind us not only barks alot but is apperently pretty mean. So maybe that dogs has been bugging my neighbor for awhile and when I moved in with more dogs it drove him over the edge. I don't know I'm just hoping he's not a jerk the whole time.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:18 PM

5 posts, read 8,800 times
Well number 1, if you just moved in im sure your local police dept will understand that these dogs need time to settle into there new home and surroundings, I think your neighbor sounds like he could be one of those thorns that you get in the rear, but dont be discouraged im sure your local peace officers will understand, let him call the police make him out to be the bad guy in your mind! your pets will slowly adjust.
I mean you have them for pets and protection, you dont ever want your dogs not allerting you of anyone walking around in your alley or by your yard, IT COULD BE YOUR NEIGHBOR checking out your crib.

dj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona