Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,761 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks:

We purchased a second home in Bullhead City about 2 years ago and absolutely love it. We try to get out there as much as possible. We were aware of all the positive, negative and neutral aspects of BHC so nothing has really surprised us. However, one thing really has me puzzled me and that's the wind in BHC. No, I'm not surprised ther'e a lot of wind, but I am surprised at the wind speeds relative to other close areas. For example, when I look at weather on any of the services, the BHC wind almost always exceeds wind speeds in Needles, Lake Havasu, Kingman and Las Vegas. What is it about the BHC geography that contributes to the seemingly higher wind speeds there as opposed to other relatively close areas? The topography dosen't seem all that different. Very curious. Any of you locals have an explaination? Sure appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 09:22 PM

234 posts, read 786,054 times
Steveessex:

We live in Bullhead City and the wind seems the same in Bullhead, Fort Mohave, Needles, Lake Havasu, Kingman, etc. It's even stronger in open areas.

Lately, we have had wind day after day, almost non-stop.

It doesn't seem like the wind is stronger in Bullhead City at all...It's just windy all over, and we drive around a lot. Went up to Kingman today and had strong winds on the drive up. Ran into strong winds when we drove thru Needles to Lake Havasu the other day. Laughlin gets strong winds too. Hope this helps! Claire

Old 01-08-2007, 10:28 PM
MAB

103 posts, read 589,373 times
Yes,ive been to laughlin many,many times.
and I love it,but have gotten strong winds a lot.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:18 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,659 times
I am really not sure what the actual reasoning is behind our winds. I have lived here over 18 years. Although we a notorious for it being windy during certain times of the year, this year has been more consistent with day after day with no break. Usually we get the wind for a couple of days, goes away a couple of days etc.
Also, you will notice that the wind is worse up on the parkway and the top of Silver Creek Rd than it is down in town. I really can't give you much of a guess on that one either. All I can offer is my sympathy...lol
It used to be that in October we used to have an annual hot air balloon event, however, it seemed like without fail, the wind would start up the day before they came in and stayed til they day they left. They don't come here anymore, which is a bummer because they were pretty cool and my kids loved them!
The worst part is when the wind blows in the summertime, because they wind BURNS! Usually, in most places, you get a nice cool breeze in the summertime...NOT HERE! Here you get this HOT gust of air that makes you feel like you're in a convection oven. As if summer isn't bad enough the wind has to come along and make it worse!
Good luck to ya! I hope you get used to it.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:53 AM

57 posts, read 291,184 times
The weather may say the wind is worse in Bullhead, but I don't notice the difference from any of the other areas. We live in Kingman and it is a rare day when the wind isn't blowing. That is probably the hardest thing to get used to when coming from another state.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 PM

70 posts, read 280,076 times
The wind can be trying at times but it's a small price to pay for the wonderful other things we have in our area. I'm from Los Angeles and it's GREAT to have the lifestyle we have here. In the 15 years since we came, the shopping and services have also improved.
I lived in Palm Springs for a while and the wind was also an issue. But just like here, so many good things mitigated that.
I've learned to put my hair up if I have lip gloss on! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: