U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 19,013 times
Default BHC or Laughlin?

Hello Candice: I see that you have lived there a long time. In your opinion is it better economically to buy in Az. or Nevada? Is BHC better value vs Laughlin? Condo vs mobile?
Any input would surely be appreciated.
Thanks
Richard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 03:45 PM

67 posts, read 151,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boutner View Post
Hello Candice: I see that you have lived there a long time. In your opinion is it better economically to buy in Az. or Nevada? Is BHC better value vs Laughlin? Condo vs mobile?
Any input would surely be appreciated.
Thanks
Richard
Hi Richard

I've lived here 18 years in October and watched a lot of change here. The first 8 years, we lived in Laughlin and had a condo; the past 10 years, a single family residence in Fort Mohave (outside Bullhead City limits). I love Laughlin but we got more house for the money on the AZ side of the river, though I think they are about the same now. You just get more selection on the AZ side.

Condos are pro and con on both sides of the River. You can get them cheap all the way up to luxurious (30k to 500k) but the HOA dues are steep with almost all of them. For instance, Vista Del Rio condos which are definitely the lower end in BHC start at 27k but the HOA dues are 165/mo. Portofino in Laughlin, same thing - 30k-ish and 165 a month HOA dues. And they go up from there. You can have a condo in a waterfront community, which is cool . . . those dues will start at over 200 a month in most communities.

But you can also buy a site built house in BHC or Fort Mohave for under 100k and have 40-80 a month HOA or no HOA. So it depends how much personal freedom you want and how much of your own maintenance you are willing to do.

I personally enjoy living in Fort Mohave, skipping the BHC city taxes and laws in a no-HOA dues subdivision (like Desert Lakes, Santa Evinita, Emerald River Estates, Rodeo Park, Desert Palms area, around Valley View Medical Center) and typical homes in my area are 3/2/2 1200-1800 SF 110-165k. You can get them cheaper on occasion.

There are a couple of nice manufactured home subdivisiona with community pool and maintained grounds . . . they are listed as low as 80-ish right now in Sunrise Vistas and the HOA dues are 110 a quarter.

A lot of subdivisions have homes and manufactured homes mixed together, so it depends on what you like or don't like.

I would definitely advise anyone considering a move to this area to come out and drive all over the area to see what you like. And anyone moving here during summer months is nuts not to rent first and get to know the area before buying.

Every year in Spring homes go on market from remorseful sellers who didn't realize how hot it gets here.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,324 times
Default moving to bullhead city

I'm a retired Trucker and planing on moving to bullhead with my dog ,tired of the cold winter's in Nebraska.I lived in Phoenix but can't handle the big city's anymore ,yep it's going to be hot there but I can handle the heat more so then the winter's,I'm a jeep driver now so looking forward to doing some 4 wheeling soon

Old 04-23-2013, 06:26 PM

8,644 posts, read 2,799,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve19552009 View Post
I'm a retired Trucker and planing on moving to bullhead with my dog ,tired of the cold winter's in Nebraska.I lived in Phoenix but can't handle the big city's anymore ,yep it's going to be hot there but I can handle the heat more so then the winter's,I'm a jeep driver now so looking forward to doing some 4 wheeling soon
I'm now in Bullhead and there's a good amount of Jeeping here.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 PM

11,057 posts, read 9,343,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Yep, lots of places to explore. On some weekends it looks like a "toy parade" in Willow Valley, between the boats, jet skis, sand rails and quads.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:15 PM

62 posts, read 53,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve19552009 View Post
Be ready for the heat as Bullhead is MUCH hotter than Phoenix.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:43 PM

6,326 posts, read 10,309,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Now there's the understatement of the year.

Bullhead is completely surrounded by incredibly awesome deserts and mountains that could take the better part of a lifetime to completely explore. There are thousands of abandoned mines in Mohave County and they're all connected by unmaintained Jeep trails that are a total blast to drive on. I spent five years exploring the trails of Mohave County and barely made a dent.

There are several good books on these trails, BTW. This one will get you started. 4 Wheel Drive Roads of Mohave County, Arizona: Luis Vega, Paula Vega: Amazon.com: Books

Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM

12,486 posts, read 8,622,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin out of reno View Post
Be ready for the heat as Bullhead is MUCH hotter than Phoenix.
COOL OFF sitting in the Colorado River catching Striped Bass......

Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,191 times
My husband and I are moving to the BHC/Laughlin area. I have someone in the Portofino complex willing to rent to me...what kind of place is it? Where are the best places to rent at? We want to live somewhere safe; clean; etc. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:45 PM

591 posts, read 172,629 times
I met a girl from Bullhead City at the University of Arizona. She told me that Tucson is "cool" in the summer compared to Bullhead, which is usually 10-15 degrees hotter than Tucson on any given summer day. That's hot.

I've neither visited Bullhead nor Laughlin, but I would probably be more inclined to move to Laughlin because Nevada has no state income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona