Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 02:40 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times

Advertisements

I also can't handle high humidity. I rather spend my summers in Phoenix vs. Dallas, San Antoine, Houston, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 06:25 PM

285 posts, read 902,037 times
It all depends what you want. I want 4 seasons again. I love the fall and spring. I lived in WI which is humid and I've lived here over 30 yrs. I'm now sick of the heat. It's was 112 today and my daughter and I left in the heat of the day. But only was outside a total of 2-3 min. Thank goodness!! The winters here are wonderful.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:35 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Moved to NJ from AZ. I would take 100 + no humidity any day of the week over humidity with ANY temp over 80. I used to laugh at people who would say "At least it is a dry heat" I would then explain you could literally fry an egg on the sidewalk; and they didn't know what they were talking about....

Now I am the one with egg on my face!

Old 06-14-2008, 07:42 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,364 times
I'm a transplant from Hawaii to Phoenix. I grew up w/ stickt heat. Although I am no fan of winter, I don't mind the summers at all. It's a dry heat and not sticky. I have central a/c oppose to island living and I just absolutely LOVE the weather here. The drawback for me here in AZ. is and it only happens once every so many years is during the allergy season, it can really make the sinuses go crazy. They say this is great for breathing but it is so congested here that it isn't good for a lot of people. SOme news bradcasts will give warning on the air quality and my sinuses go absolutely crazy but as for the weather itself, I love it absolutely best here than anywhere I've ever been to! Also, sorry, I find that during the summer, I can cool my home at night by blasting the cool air and during the day because I am one who naturally doesn't mind the heat, I don't find that I even have the need to turn the air on till noon at least, once the house is cool, it goes off and off and on as needed. I don't find it bad at all.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:11 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
For the record: it feels like the monsoon season is starting to rear its head today......took my walk and it felt 'oppressive' outside. Yesterday OTOH, was pleasant.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:56 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Wash DC native here:

In the direct sun; it is rougher than DC in the summer admittedly.

In the shade; I would take Phx on its nastiest day over any DC summer one

Humidity beats my butt up one side and down the other.
I lived in NC for a few years and I agree....

My only gripe with AZ weather is when it's very hot and a hot wind is blowing. Its like holding a blow dryer on your face.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:35 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
I much prefer the dry heat over hot & humid . . . but hot is hot no matter what. One great thing about AZ is that if starts to get to you, you can take a drive about 90 min to 2 hrs and be out of the heat and in the mountains. So at least you can get a breather if you need it. In a lot of other parts of the country, you're stuck until the temperatures drop.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Memphis? HA! Try Miami for humidity! 67%? That's LOW!!! It's usually at LEAST 75% here.
More often than not the humidity is in the 80-90% range.
We're always hotter than Phoenix with the heat index.
Not quite sauna - more like soup!!!
Dry heat is much more pleasant.
But hey - I'm Heat Miser - I'll take the heat any way!
Just as long as it's HOT!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 06:52 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Memphis? HA! Try Miami for humidity! 67%? That's LOW!!! It's usually at LEAST 75% here.
More often than not the humidity is in the 80-90% range.
We're always hotter than Phoenix with the heat index.
Not quite sauna - more like soup!!!
Dry heat is much more pleasant.
But hey - I'm Heat Miser - I'll take the heat any way!
Just as long as it's HOT!!!
Was in Loxahatchee in 1982; pretty area but as you stated, the humidity was evil.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:20 AM

41 posts, read 216,000 times
I am wondering if there is anyone out there experiencing the same negative effects of dry humidity. I suffer with skin cracking on my thumbs and fingers, heels, nasal passages drying up and bleeding. Adding insult to injury, when winter arrives my body feels like a zillion "pins and needles", mostly at night upon retiring.
I am a native New Orleanean (20 yrs) and lived in Florida ( East coast) for 30 yrs before venturing to Tucson. Last year I was in Shreveport and Houston and had zero problems.
I wish that I could have the positive experiences with low humidity that I am reading about. Oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona