Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 08:33 AM

7 posts, read 21,830 times

Advertisements

I've asked about Yuma elsewhere and I usually get the you should live ____ instead. The job offer is for Yuma and not elsewhere, so that is of no help.

I have read the other posts on Yuma here and after pages of the weather sucks, I decided to ask my own questions. NOTE: The weather where I live is on average 10 degrees cooler than Yuma from January-December. However, our humidity is 60% as we speak and gets up into the 80-90% range at night. Sticky, sweaty heat is not fun. Our temperature feels around 4 degrees hotter than it actually is.

I also have read that crime is horrible in Yuma from the posts on here. However, I can find no proof to back that. In fact, according to the FBI's crime statistics in 2006, the crime rate where we live now is higher with a smaller population. The city we live in is not really that dangerous. An example of the statistics: We had 8 murders compared to Yuma's 3. Yuma has at least 10,000 more people than our city does.

Things to do? Okay, we have a zoo, aquarium, tiny mall, a fun park (arcade and putt putt), a small movie theater, some restaurants (and not really a huge selection), and a couple of bars. So the complaints there seem to match the complaints here. We do fine with what we are offered though. And it seems you guys have a nice lake and sand dunes to play on. Also, it seems like there are pools everywhere. I think we are fully capable of finding something to do.

I looked at homes for sale there. We won't buy for a few years if we move, but I wanted to compare it to this area. The housing market is virtually the same for our budget. We can get a nice 3 bedroom home for $160k at either location. Those who say that it is $300k... are you made of money? Seriously, I've looked at several sites and found very nice homes for half of that.

Okay, so now that I got all of the info I know and don't need out of the way, is there anything else that is bad?

And now for the good questions:

How much does a half a gallon of soy milk cost?
How much does a gallon of skim milk cost?
How much is regular unleaded gas right now?
How are the apartment complexes out there? Any you'd suggest? (2+ bedroom apartments)
How long does it take to commute in town from say the Lothlorien apartments to the Marine Corps base in a car and/or on a bicycle?
How far is the college from the marine corps base?
How is Arizona Western College on the nursing program?
How is Yuma Regional as a patient and as an employee?
How are the daycares and the schools? I have a boy who will be three at the end of the year and a girl entering first grade.
Is the park they built free to use? Is it a nice park? Clean?
Are there a lot of farmer's markets there? How are the prices on the produce?
If you don't know Spanish, is that going to be a problem? (I know a little, but I can't keep up in conversation.)
How hard is it to find a $10 job that works with daycare and college schedules?

Any good experiences in Yuma that anyone would like to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 02:13 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times

Unleaded gas is about $4.09.

Not sure. I am not a nurse. I don't know anyone who has gone through it.

How are the daycares and the schools? I have a boy who will be three at the end of the year and a girl entering first grade.

If you stay involved with your child's education and support their teachers you won't have a problem. The problem with many schools in the area is that many parents simply aren't involved or just don't care. I am a teacher and I see that the students whose parents care about their education do a lot better.

If you don't know Spanish, is that going to be a problem? (I know a little, but I can't keep up in conversation.)

It depends on where you work. I worked in Somerton for a year and it was a problem. Now I work in the Foothills and it is not a problem.

I don't know about that either. It seems like a lot of the local resturants are hiring if you are open to waiting tables.

I don't like living in Yuma, but only you can decide if this town is right for you and your family. Do not rely on others' opinions or my opinion for that matter. You should just come visit and see what you think. Sorry I couldn't answer all your questions.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:28 AM

148 posts, read 757,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhiga View Post
How much does a half a gallon of soy milk cost?
Not Sure. Vit D whole milk is $2.78/gallon at Walmart.

Quote:
I Just filled up for $3.99/gallon at ARCO.

Quote:
How are the apartment complexes out there? Any you'd suggest? (2+ bedroom apartments)
I have a buddy that lives in the Camelot Apts. on Ave. B. They seem nice and roomy.

Quote:
How long does it take to commute in town from say the Lothlorien apartments to the Marine Corps base in a car and/or on a bicycle?
Depends on the time of day but I would say no more than 10-15 minutes by car.

Quote:
How far is the college from the marine corps base?
Probably about 7-8 miles.

Quote:
Not sure about the nursing program but we have had hired several students from the Environmental Science program and have been impressed.

Quote:
How is Yuma Regional as a patient and as an employee?
Seems like a good hospital. My daughter was born there 12 years ago and everyone seemed nice. I hear lots of complaints about the ER side.

Quote:
Crane School District is the best, IMO.

Quote:
Is the park they built free to use? Is it a nice park? Clean?
City of Yuma does a pretty good job with park maintenance. As far as I know, they are all free except for the small fees at the municipal pools.

Quote:
Are there a lot of farmer's markets there? How are the prices on the produce?
Not a lot that I know of..... most of the Ag in Yuma is big commercial type stuff. There are quite a few fruit/produce stands along the roads in the winter time.

Quote:
I know enough espanol to order a burrito.

Quote:
My wife has been trying to fill one full-time and one part-time position for months. Starting pay is in the $10/hour range.

Quote:
Any good experiences in Yuma that anyone would like to share?
We (family and I) love Yuma. We have never had any "bad" experiences other than a couple of accidents with uninsured motorist.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:18 AM

Thank you for the information.

BTW your milk is cheap!!! We pay over $4 a gallon of skim which is the cheapest. Soy costs me around $6 for a gallon. My son is allergic to cows milk (not just lactose intolerant) so we have to buy that.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:00 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
Love Yuma or hate it...it depends on the person. Yuma is "desert" and right near the Mexican border so it has some issues related to that. If your job offer is there and it is a good job offer, and you are planning to rent first, then go see for yourself. You have little to lose as long as you are not buying a home right away. The cost of living varies from area to area, day to day, throughout the state and the nation. What information folks on this board give you today may not be true tomorrow. I always advise people to take a trip and see for themselves if they like an area or not. Whatever you decide, I hope it all goes well for you! Good luck!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 02:01 PM

443 posts, read 2,134,942 times
I'm assuming you going to have a civilian job on base and your not military right? Yuma is a great place to live, and with the growth the last couple years a lot more to do. Most places in Yuma are all about 15 minutes away if that. But as far as biking I didn't see a lot of people get around by bike. I would only consider buying or renting with a pool, you will use it so much and is so worth it. here is a good site for rentals Yuma, Arizona - Yuma Homes and Real Estate for Sale at ERAyuma.com

good luck

Old 06-30-2008, 02:59 PM

Yes, we will be taking a job on base if we take it. My husband is a marine corps brat who joined the military, served his time, and got out. He will be doing the same job he does for the city for the government, which of course is beneficial in so many way. Plus, if we don't like Yuma, we aren't "stuck" either.

We live in Georgia though, so this is a huge move. My husband's family is from AZ (only one uncle), NV, and NM (most of his family is in NM) and he was even born in CA. His parents live where we do, but eventually plan to move that way. We can't afford to just pick up and move and hope for the best. This job offer presented itself for us, so it is our ticket out there... maybe.

My husband LOVES the heat. I on the other hand grew up in TN and miss having 4 seasons. We only have 2 here where we are at. We aren't going to make it to TN and we can't just move some place no where near anyone we know. So I won't have 4 seasons again. So I know I probably won't care for the weather too much, but my husband is going to have a blast. I haven't seen snow in years though since we lived in HI, then southern GA, and now hopefully AZ.

We are use to living around military bases. There is one here where we are at.

Anyway, thanks for all of the info. It seems to be about half and half on loving or hating Yuma.

And please keep the info coming. This is very helpful to us. If we move, it will likely be between August and September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona