Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 01:19 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoenlacabeza View Post
Its all relative....I personally think AZ has the best sunsets hands down and I have seen a good many of them.
The weather is great, depending on where you live. Summers are beastly in Phoenix but you can drive 1.5 hours and escape it. Winters are miserable up north but again, you can drive 1.5 hours south and escape them.
Just depends on personal taste I believe.....
I agree the sunsets in AZ are some of the best in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 07:44 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I've had the luxury, or misfortunate depending on your personal opinion, of living in a number of locations around the country and I strongly prefer Tucson over all the others . . . HANDS DOWN.
correct. Tucson has 100x better sunsets then Phoenix. I think it has to do with the lack of high rises in the area.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:20 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HParr View Post
I imagine that Arizona must be so beautiful with the gorgeous sunsets. And I'm thinking that the weather must be a dream there! Am I right?
Yes, it's a beautiful state. Great sunsets (and sunrises too!), the mountains, the desert areas are beautiful, and the "little-hole-in-the-wall" cafes and restuarants (in the small towns of Arizona) are awesome.

The only bad things about it are: the heat (too damn hot!), the big cities (the traffic is horrible in them), (some) of the the people got attitudes, and the long, long drives to the next town or city.:

Old 07-22-2008, 11:24 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanmetre View Post
I first visited Tucson with my grandparents, many, many years ago. We had been staying at the Biltmore in Scottsdale and came through here to go to the border. I remarked that I thought it was beautiful. My grandmother said, "Maybe someday you'll live here." I never really considered that until 2000. My partner and I came down to stay at the Westward Look for a long weekend. We returned every winter just after Xmas for 4 years, at Ventana, until we moved here. Previously we had gone to Scottsdale and although some of the resorts there are nice, the area itself didn't compare to Tucson for beauty or air quality. Tucson is rated in the top 5 best in the USA. Phoenix is near the bottom.

We settled in Oro Valley and have great views all around us. I've lived in Beverly Hills, La Jolla, Seattle, NYC, Mexico City and Sydney. I have never loved an area more than this one. We have great privacy here and the area is quite safe, in the sense of lack of crime.

Yes, it's hot in the summer, but we are totally air conditioned and swim at least twice a day in the pool which cools us also. The evenings are warm and tranquil for outdoor dining.

It's no wonder that two of the top 10 spas in the world, Miraval (about 5 miles from us) and Canyon Ranch are both in Tucson. No other American City can boast that... plus a host of world class resorts, like Ventana, where we used to stay, La Paloma and the Ritz which is being built about 5 miles from us also.

We are very involved in the Arts and Tucson has, for its size, a very vibrant art community. We go to the Symphony and Opera, which are both acceptable. They are of course not of the caliber of NYC or SF, but we can travel to either when we wish and LIVE our lives here.

Because of the University, the social climate is quite diverse and interesting, almost the equal of Berkeley.

It isn't for everyone,but if you can take the time to enjoy the beauty and tranquility here, it's wonderful.
2 spas doesn't make a city great...Sheeesh!!! Is that the only reason you like it there?? Why go to a spa when you live in the desert and have the natural sun (natural vitamin C) to keep you healthy. Spas are a waste of time, sweety. Get out there with nature and you'll see how much more beautiful it really is.....

Old 07-22-2008, 01:20 PM

329 posts, read 1,276,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
2 spas doesn't make a city great...Sheeesh!!! Is that the only reason you like it there?? Why go to a spa when you live in the desert and have the natural sun (natural vitamin C) to keep you healthy. Spas are a waste of time, sweety. Get out there with nature and you'll see how much more beautiful it really is.....
Oh for goodness sakes please re read her ENTIRE post. It covered WAY more than Spas. I believe that she mentions the two Spas just to point out what the area has to offer. World class resorts and spas don't just pop up anywhere. The area has to have something special to offer. Both spas that she mentions have extensive outdoor programs. One even offers an excellent equine program. Please be a little critical.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:35 PM

129 posts, read 561,831 times
Arizona is a wild place. Beautiful...in that. Also ugly in places too. I can't think of a more bleak place then Yuma. Or a more lovely place than Sedona. Arizona is not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
I agree the sunsets in AZ are some of the best in the nation.
This is one thing Ill never understand.... Ive witnessed MANY sunsets in AZ as well as looked at numerous AZ sunset photo galleries. Theyre not really any different than anywhere else Ive seen. And trust me, Im a sunset junkie, outside watching them alllll the time. Heck, I even have my own thread dedicated to them on the IL boards. Anways, AZ sunsets are way overrated most of the time.

*flame suit on*

Old 07-24-2008, 03:08 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Sure, the sun rises and sets everywhere, Steve. The thing that makes Arizona sunsets and sunrises so beautiful is that they are framed in beautiful scenery and wide-open spaces. A sunset over the desert, as viewed from ones backyard, is not the same as a sunset viewed from a parking lot complete with street lamps.

Sunrise

Moonrise

Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Great shots guys. But I think both of you proved the point. Nothing beats an AZ sunset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona