Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM

12 posts, read 41,543 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move to AZ very soon to become full time Missionaries to the Navajo people.
While on our week long trip this past week we encounted some bugs that we can not find out what they are. They look a lot like the sun spider but they don't have any black on them. The Navajo pastor that we work with out there called them Jerselum beetle (sp?) but I cna't find them on the internet at all. Does anyone on here have any idea as to what these bugs are?

The other question that we have as a family is where is the best place to look for work and housing? We want to stay around flagstaff, holbrook, show low, and snowflake areas? My husband needs call center type work or I need administrative assistant type work. I am not sure what the pay scale is out there, I know that the cost of living is a little higher than here in TN, but the food cost seemed to be about the same if not a little lower. This week we noticed that a gallon of milk only cost around 3.50 here it is around 4.50 to 5.15 a gallon. Plus we have to pay sales tax on top of that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appricated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:30 AM

398 posts, read 816,014 times
Holbrook would probably be a better choice than Showlow or Snowflake. It has a little bit more activity and is closer to the reservation. Flagstaff is quite pricey. Not sure about any call center work in any of those areas.
Was the bug you saw a beetle or a spider?

Old 07-03-2008, 10:05 AM

Default moving to az/bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badland wonder View Post
Holbrook would probably be a better choice than Showlow or Snowflake. It has a little bit more activity and is closer to the reservation. Flagstaff is quite pricey. Not sure about any call center work in any of those areas.
Was the bug you saw a beetle or a spider?

Well it looked like a spider, I have heard it called Daughter of the Night before, but I can't find anything about it either. It is a baige color, with 4 legs on each side, but when it walks it carries the front legs up in the air, but it is long with the legs close in to the body. So it is really hard to explain what it is. Of course it only came out in the night. Some of them consider it a mix between a spider and a scorpion. But I don't see it. I just see ugly scary bug that I don't know what is... LOL I just would like to find out if it is dangerous or not. Like I said it kinda looked like the sun spider but they come out at night and they don't have the blad on the back part of the bod.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:54 AM

70 posts, read 210,510 times
Could it be a Jerusalem cricket? Jerusalem cricket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-04-2008, 12:32 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 6,996,520 times
It's a Jerusalem Cricket or "Baby face" or "Child of the Earth" and I hate them!!! They do bite...nasty, ugly, vicious little stinkers! It is NOT a cricket at all, but a ground dwelling beetle of sorts.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie53 View Post

This looks simlar to one of the bugs we say but the others had 8 legs like a spider, but then when they crawled they held the front 2 legs up in the air like they were running for an attack.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:30 PM

I think I found it. I think after looking more that it is a wind scorpion. I looked it up on Wikipedia. It is not it is is really close to that. Much more so than and Jeresulem cricket.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:03 PM

70 posts, read 210,510 times
Eww. I looked up photos of wind scorpions. I've seen those before, too. I saw them when we lived Northern California. It's funny because I haven't seen any of them, or any scorpions, during the seven years we've lived back in Phoenix.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:02 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 6,996,520 times
Ah...yes, could be the wind-tail...also called by old-timers as a Vinegaroon ...and they also sting like crazy

Old 07-05-2008, 11:05 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,686,229 times
This will date me for certain, but we used to call them potato bugs when I was young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona