Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:11 PM

461 posts, read 1,805,385 times

Advertisements

My son is thinking about either applying for the Border Patrol (most likely will be in/near Tucson) or to be a Mesa police officer (both are hiring). Which would be safer? I really don't know anything about Mesa ... but I have heard it's a "rough" part of AZ. I know the Border Patrol won't be a piece of cake, but somehow I don't think it would be as dangerous as being a cop. Anyone have any experience or know anyone in either positions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 01:22 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,686,229 times
God bless him. Both tough and dangerous jobs. The border is getting more and more dicey so if my son were in his shoes, I would want him in Mesa. Others who work in these areas could better guide you.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:17 PM

Thanks, Motley. Much appreciated. Now come on you guys - isn't there anyone one else out there with some knowledge about this? I could really use your input!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:22 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,119,482 times
Boy, I don't know. Both can be very dangerous. Cops in any area can be killed in a simple stop. The other hand, the border patrol can be working around some dangerous characters as well. Is there a third, less dangerous option?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Boy, I don't know. Both can be very dangerous. Cops in any area can be killed in a simple stop. The other hand, the border patrol can be working around some dangerous characters as well. Is there a third, less dangerous option?
Well....he could stay in landscaping. But my son is the type who needs a more exciting and rewarding career. He's bored to death. How safe is Mesa? Is it a high crime area? I know a lot of stuff about a lot of different AZ cities, but since I never considered living in Mesa, I never researched it.

Do any AZ newspapers print reports on Border Patrol stuff? Like attacks, shootings, etc.?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:40 PM

120 posts, read 629,462 times
Theres the option of State Police/Highway Patrol as well. Still police work, but could end up anywhere in the state, probably including the Mesa area as well-however with most State law enforcement agencies, assignments are made based on the need of the agency and not necessarily on the wishes of its employees, especially for newer guys. I don't know much about Border Patrol, but my first assumption is that their assignments would also be based on the needs of the agency, being that it is a federal agency. Where I'm from, city cops tend to run into the most dangerous situations and state troopers and sheriff deputy's also have their days but not nearly as much as the city guys.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:00 PM

79 posts, read 386,706 times
As a retired cop I must say, it used to be that Border Patrol mainly was a very boring, but not excitingly dangerous job. Sadly, that has completely changed in the last 2 years or so. We see a lot of attacks on border patrol agents and they often are outnumbered and very much outgunned by the illegals.

As to Mesa PD, not only does it have the worst leadership in the nation, a Mesa cop will meet all the people in the streets that the border patrol guys didn't catch. Those encounters often are very dangerous. Because of the social fabric of most areas of Mesa you also need a strong stomach because as a cop you will be confronted with the absolute worst side of mankind every day.

On the other hand, a street cop's life is more exciting than patrolling vast stretches of desert pretty much alone. And sometimes you really can make a difference.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:21 PM

751 posts, read 2,474,067 times
The biggest problem I would have with the border patrol is that because it's federal, they will be "deploying" you to where they see fit even though they tell you that you get to pick your top three preferences. So if he chooses it, he must be prepared to move where they want him to. I don't know if you have looked at the border patrol website, but it might be helpful www.cbp.gov

Old 07-12-2008, 06:01 AM

GilaMonster - you answered my question about Mesa, which is what I thought. I guess Phoenix is also recruiting cops. Would that be any better?

Old 07-12-2008, 08:54 AM

225 posts, read 814,913 times
Until he gets a LOT of time on the job, he has no idea where the Border Patrol will send him. So "most likely near Tuscon" really doesn't mean much. Does he speak Spanish?

As far as which is "safer", I don't think I'd let that be my deciding factor.

Retirement options would be a lot more significant in my decision. The federal route has some advantages over the municipal route when compared to most cities, but not in all scenarios.

To be honest with you, I'd go to Southern Cal. for a police job. The pay is better and the pension is better. And his house is going to appreciate a lot more by the time he retires. Plus, now is the time to buy.

Does he have any military time?

Also, consider this: He will be going into law enforcement at a time where there are cameras in just about every police car, audio recordings, everyone has access to cameras and digital recorders, we've never been at a higher level of political correctness and someone can start a civil rights investigation on a cop with the FBI at the drop of a hat. It's a LOT easier to get into trouble as a law enforcement officer today than it was 20 years ago. You may say: "He would never do anything illegal or immoral." Famous last words. Sometimes you don't know what's "illegal" until you're charged.

It can be a rewarding job, but I think I'd fishish college first. And I'd definately go with a larger department (meaning thousands of officers, not hundreds) where there is a greater diversity of potential assignments and where the guy you **** off your first year isn't going to be your boss for 10 years with nowhere to "escape". There will also be better chances for advancement on that kind of department.

Again, check out:
Pay
Retirement
How solvent is the city financially and how well is their pension fund funded?
Chances for Advancement for average guy and not just the guy who is willing to put on kneepads. (Another reason to go with a large deapartment)
Local economy, real estate appreciation
Distance from work assignment to desireable neighborhoods with good schools.
How strong the union or association/bargaining unit is
Relationship between the police bargaining unit and local politicians
Which way is the department's leadership headed? Is there a strong effort to "diversify" the department? Depending on your kid's race this might be a concern.
Here's a biggie: Is there a D.R.O.P. plan?
If he has military time, can he buy that time with the department?
Is there a defined benefit pension or is it defined contribution? Take the first, forget the second (my opinion only!) If defined benefit, what is the multiplier? How is your pension determined? Is it 90 percent of your final base pay? Is it 80%? When calculating your pay to determine your pension, is it based on base pay or does it include overtime, holidays, etc?
If he doesn't already have a degree is there a program for tuition reimbursement?

When he applies somewhere, actually, before he applies, preferably, he should get to know the cops and go for a ride-along if possible with an AVERAGE cop. Maybe someone with 10 years on. NOT the department golden boy and not some 30 year guy still on patrol (not that there's anything wrong with that). Just an average guy who can be objective.

No matter what he decides, do me a favor if he does take a cop job and print this out and give it to him when he's got 15
20 years on and see what he says. To be perfectly honest with you, I don't think I'd sign up to be a cop in today's climate and it has nothing to do with "how safe it is".

Another opinion: One of the only reasons to put 20-30 years on this job is because of the security of pension and benefits in a time when most private sector jobs are getting rid of both. If the place he's looking at doesn't have that, forget it.

Don't lie on the application or background investigation. Very important.

He may totally disregard everything I've pointed out because he just wants to "do policework" like on TV. If so, print this out and show it to him in 10 or 15 years!!

Last piece of advice: Tell him to marry a girl with lots of money.

Last edited by Nearborn; 07-12-2008 at 09:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona