U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-30-2008, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 23,781 times

Advertisements

I am currently driving a car with out of state license plates, but its my parents car not registered to me. I have insurance on the vehical from AZ and I live here and go to school part time and work. I recently got a warning that I work in AZ and have out of state plates. Can they do anything to me? The car is not registered to me but I am driving it here. I looked at some past discussions but I didn't see anything where the driver wasn't the registered owner of the vehical. Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 05:04 PM

7,972 posts, read 16,166,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanluke View Post
I am currently driving a car with out of state license plates, but its my parents car not registered to me. I have insurance on the vehical from AZ and I live here and go to school part time and work. I recently got a warning that I work in AZ and have out of state plates. Can they do anything to me? The car is not registered to me but I am driving it here. I looked at some past discussions but I didn't see anything where the driver wasn't the registered owner of the vehical. Thanks for your help
Simple answer to this one, Jonathan, as this same scenario happened to a neighbor a few months ago . . . the police will issue you a citation and will SEIZE your vehicle.

The total cost including the tickets plus the towing and storage will easily push the 500 bucks range.

Definitely . . . NOT WORTH THE RISK.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:13 PM
YAZ

6,186 posts, read 6,781,861 times
Change over.

Now.

I got away with it for 7 months. Had a story all lined up just in case.

Change over.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:24 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,242,423 times
You can only stay in Arizona past the 30 day limit if you are a full-time, dependent undergraduate student

Because you are only a part-time student AND working, you must register the car in Arizona.

This is also how it works in most states.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 23,781 times
The car isn't mine tho. So I cant really register a car that doesn't belong to me. Can they really take the car, how do they prove I'm not the owner on vacation to me. The burden of proof seems a little suspect in this scenario but I you really never win when you fight the law I guess.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:20 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,346,451 times
Quote:
The car isn't mine tho. So I cant really register a car that doesn't belong to me. Can they really take the car, how do they prove I'm not the owner on vacation to me. The burden of proof seems a little suspect in this scenario but I you really never win when you fight the law I guess.
You are trying to exploit a loophole that doesn't exist. The car you are driving is still using the AZ roads and these roads need to be maintained. Are you saying that because the car has a different owner you should be able to drive on the roads gratis?

Old 07-30-2008, 06:24 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,242,423 times
Quote:
This is where "tough luck" comes into play... they are aware of your situation and they will impound your car if you do not make moves soon.

The very first thing you need to do is get your Arizona DL. Since you are living, working, and part-time schooling in Arizona, you must establish Arizona residency.

With regard to the vehicle's title/tag...I'm not sure exactly how Arizona does it, but many states require that the primary driver of the vehicle hold the title if they are not living with their parents/guardians. From the MVD Website:

Quote:
[CENTER]Resident Definition

[/CENTER]
State law requires that you obtain a driver license and registration immediately if any one of the following apply. If you:
  • Work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work)
  • Place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident
  • Have a business with an office in Arizona, and that bases and operates vehicles in this state
  • Obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident
  • Have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona
  • Remain in Arizona for a total of 7 months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence
An "out-of-state student" enrolled with 7 or more semester hours is not considered a resident, even if employed.
Military personnel based in Arizona who qualify for exemption under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act are not considered Arizona residents.

I would also suggest contacting the MVD here: Motor Vehicle Division and talk to them about your tag/title situation. Your DL situation will most likely be non-negotiable, but if you are really lucky, you may be able to keep the car in your parents' name in the other state....however, based on experience, laws, and wording from the MVD, you will most likely be forced to register the car in your name or cease operation of it within the state of Arizona.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:37 PM

7,972 posts, read 16,166,582 times
Quote:
Once again, Jonathan . . . considering the possible costs as well as the grief involved, WHY TAKE THE RISK?

Not 100% certain but I believe you should be able to register the vehicle in Arizona using your parents' name (this may require a form signed and notarized by your parents) and then, with an Arizona DL, you would be legal. Depending on the vehicle and the current state of registration, the cost of registering a vehicle here is fairly inexpensive. For example, the plates for my CJ-7 are only 25 bucks a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona