U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:07 PM

15,149 posts, read 17,218,892 times
Default Pool fence or not?

I put a fence on the pool when my daughter was little. I am thinking of removing it as it has rust and there is no need for it anymore from a safety standpoint. I can't really envision how the yard would look without it. I think it would give a more open feel without it. What do you all think? Do you prefer the look of a fenced pool or a pool that just blends into the yard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:17 PM

457 posts, read 667,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I put a fence on the pool when my daughter was little. I am thinking of removing it as it has rust and there is no need for it anymore from a safety standpoint. I can't really envision how the yard would look without it. I think it would give a more open feel without it. What do you all think? Do you prefer the look of a fenced pool or a pool that just blends into the yard?
I have a house in Scottsdale and we don't have a pool fence for our pool. For me, my frend down the stree has a fence around his pool and it looks like the pool is in jail.

Yes, I know it sound stupid and irresponsible. But I don't like them and if you are really that concern about the kid next door coming in. Make sure you have a spring loaded device on your back yard door so it will close.

If I am not mistaken, that a city law to have on your house inorder to access the back yard.

If you have a bunch of kids in your area, then maybe it would be a good idea to keep the fence. It's just in my neighborhood there are not a whole lot of kids.

Last edited by Beretta; 08-05-2008 at 05:45 AM..

Old 08-04-2008, 11:00 PM

145 posts, read 444,513 times
The law says you have to have a 6 foot fence surrounding the area. This protects not only the neighborhood kids, but also YOU. Property owners are liable if a child gets into their yard and drowns in the pool.

We have lots of child drownings here in Arizona, so this law is strictly enforced.
Our town will cite you and make you remove a doughboy pool (3 foot deep above ground) that is not fully fenced.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:02 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,617,116 times
There is a Swimming Pool Barrier law in AZ, but there are a few exceptions to the law. 36-1681 - Pool enclosures; requirements; exceptions; enforcement. Whenever somebody buys a property in AZ now, they have to sign off that they understand that they would be required to put up a barrier around their pool in most situations. So not having a fence might be a negative if you ever decide to sell your house.

Is there any way you could make your old fence look more attractive - maybe a coat of paint or some flowering vines and shrubs growing next to it?

Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,978,880 times
If your backyard has a block-wall surrounding the entire backyard, is there STILL
a need to fence in around the pool?

I hate the look of a wrought iron fence around the pool area.. when anyone decides
to enter your backyard without permission, by either climbing over your fence or by
unlatching the gate.. why should the owner be responsible? Why don't they hold the
parents of the kid accountable? When your backyard is completely fenced-off...
should'nt that say: hey this is my yard, stay out, your tresspassing! Parents who LET
their kids run the streets, should'nt pass the blame on to someone else when something
bad happens to them.
How about if they tresspass into your backyard and fire up that chainsaw sitting out on
your back patio and they cut off their arm.. are you to blame, NO. How about teaching
these kids right-from-wrong. How about knowing where your kids are and what they are
up to? Our last home had a 6 foot wood fence completely around the backyard, both
gates always padlocked, and we had a 6 foot wrought iron fence around the pool...
needless to say, we STILL had caught (several times the same kids) in our pool!
No.. they never drowned or got hurt, but the point is even with 2 fences they still
tresspassed. harsher laws against the homeowner is bull, harsher laws against the
parents of the kids is the only way to wake these parents up. After.. the parents were
fined and threatened with jail time, we did'nt have another problem. Just 1 fence
should be a clue to these kids. it's high time they stop passing the buck, and put the
real blame where it belongs.

Don't yell... just my opinion lol!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:23 AM

4,856 posts, read 2,812,621 times
Arizona Bound: I think the idea is to protect the children, not to point blame after a drowning has occurred. I agree. The parents should be held accountable.

Even with responsible parents, an accident can still happen. This is one of the cases where being proactive will have a much better outcome than being reactive.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 AM

15,149 posts, read 17,218,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
If your backyard has a block-wall surrounding the entire backyard, is there STILL
a need to fence in around the pool?
No. Only if you have kids 6 and under living at the house. You still have to have a self-lathing gate to the yard.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:19 AM

681 posts, read 1,592,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
For me, my frend down the stree has a fence around his pool and it looks like the pool is in jail.
This comment is right on even though I had not thought about it until now. Most of the pools I have seen on the MLS are not fenced and I do prefer them without the fence.

If you sell your home to a couple with young kids, it would be their responsibility to fence it, not yours.

altus2006

Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 AM

2,916 posts, read 4,648,881 times
Pools are great in Arizona, and the fence shows you care about those youngsters who may come to visit you. However much a pain or unsightly they are, they do provide a safety service for you.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:11 AM

8,125 posts, read 8,265,685 times
i would scrap it - if you have a block fence, self closing gate and back door that shuts on it's own and has the upper safety latch then there isn't much need unless you plan on having kids running around your yard unsupervised

the other concern would be if you had pets and didn't want them jumping in and out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona