U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 11:46 AM

27 posts, read 121,117 times
Default What is PAYSON, AZ like?

Can anyone tell me about life in Payson, AZ? Can you affirm or dispute my thought that it is a place of second homes? What is real estate like? Sounds silly, but is there a significant population of school aged kids? Any info or comments about Payson would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 07:26 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,757,177 times
I love Payson. A good friend move there from Scottsdale a few years back. His house is next to the airport and he is able to taxi his plane onto a street and up to his house. The development caters to plane owners. It's like a little slice of heaven The airport is on top of a mesa overlooking the town.
The town is around 5000 ft and has a great climate. There are lots of trees and the town is just far enough out of Phoenix area to eliminate it as a commuter 'burg. It's just big enough to have a Wal-mart.
In my opinion, it's worth a look.
Paul

Old 01-27-2007, 10:20 AM

Thanks Paul. My husband is a pilot, so will love that info about the airplanes. I thought it was too small for a major chain like Wal-Mart. Thanks to your reply, we will definitely take a look!

Old 01-27-2007, 08:57 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,757,177 times
Glad to help. Before you go to Payson check out Skykingsoaring.com . He gives motorglider rides and training. Russ is a great pilot and a really nice guy.
Good Luck,
Paul

Old 01-29-2007, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 20,963 times
Payson is a great little town(14,000 pop.) but construction and tourism are the only real job opportunities. If you don't own the business, you probably cannot afford to buy a home,or pay the rent. There are many retirees in Payson as evidenced by the # of oxygen containers being trailed around the grocery stores.These folks brought their own money(many in wheelbarrows) to town and didnt make it in Payson. The area is spectacular, great weather, scenery,and quality of life.Also payson is not a destination, but a passing thru spot to areas higher on the magestic "Rim".

Old 02-01-2007, 07:27 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,297,965 times
i have heard its racist there

Old 02-01-2007, 08:18 PM

343 posts, read 20,357 times
Of course you heard it's racist there, look at the demographics! Who do you think are saying it's racist? I can give you a good guess. I've also heard it's racist in many other parts of the world. I've had many people discriminate against me for various reasons, but race is probably the last. Payson is like many other smaller communities, and either people like that or don't. I'm one who happens to prefer it. It's quiet, friendly, and has a beautiful climate, but hey, if someone can think of any more good reasons to stay out of here then I'm all for it. I would like for the growth to halt.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:05 PM

6 posts, read 28,616 times
Default Payson

I moved to Payson 2 1/2 years ago from Prescott trying to escape the hoards of people who were moving there from Cali. Payson was a place I always wanted to live from my childhood. I was fortunate and was able to transfer with my company so I had a job waiting. There are many second homes here for people from the Valley (Phoenix area) but there is still alot of people who live here, just not too many. It is nice to live in a neighborhood where half the homes are empty most of the year. I have a 16 year old and he doesn't lack in friends in any way shape or form. Not real happy with the school system here. It is very poor and it seemed to me that they were trying to prepare students for jail and not a career. School officials are just looking to bust someone doing something big or small. Strawberry school is awesome, grades K-8 or 9. There are prices you have to pay to live in such a desireable area so we have chosen online highschool, housing is very high here. I work in real estate and the average home 2 br 2 ba home runs $250 to $350 and some of them are mobiles. We do have the 5th cleanest air, plenty of outdoor activities, lakes, rivers, hiking, atv trails, 2 parks (one with a lake), a skate park, everything in town is 7 minutes away no matter what side of town you are, and we are close to major cities on any side withing 90 min, Phoenix, Prescott, Flagstaff, Showlow. Some even work in the Valley and commute to Payson where they live. Overall, it is a great place to live ..... if you can afford to buy a house. 2005 really changed our housing market.
Good Luck!
K Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveNY629 View Post
Can anyone tell me about life in Payson, AZ? Can you affirm or dispute my thought that it is a place of second homes? What is real estate like? Sounds silly, but is there a significant population of school aged kids? Any info or comments about Payson would be appreciated!

Old 02-10-2007, 07:51 PM

11 posts, read 61,759 times
I understand that southern Arizona has some scorpion problems. Anyone know if this is the case in Payson? How about the other little critters - you know - the ones with rattles on the end of their body?

Old 02-11-2007, 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the Payson info. Racism is every where. My daughter goes to school where whites are the minority and there is racism againt her. It's human nature. Payson sounds very cool. We don't have to worry about jobs, but I am not sure we could afford a house big enough to house five people! I am concerned about the schools because I already have my daughter in school I'm not happy with. Don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire!

Scorpions? I have read up on them and they like temps above 78 degrees. Sounds like they would not like Payson at all. I am petrified of meeting one. I have been lucky. I live in the valley and have never seen one, but lots of people I know have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona